EA Origin security breach again. Careful if you are thinking of getting Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gnostic

After reports on Origin getting hack about a year ago

And reports regarding Origin vulnerabilities to hacking

You would think EA would become more careful, but no, last month there are reports of unauthorized purchased on Origin and EA denined their security breach.

Given security breach of the user own fault unlikely to happen to a huge number of user in a short time, it is likely EA is lying out of their teeth again

So whoever jump aboard the Dragon Age hype train, please reconsider as this Origin exclusive game. There are more games out there than we can play in out entire lives, no need to get this one game and risk your security.

Stop posting this that kind of info here,

"Careful if you are thinking of getting Dragon Age: Inquisition"

I am sure that no one that like POE games and respect himself going to purchase that ****ty game.

Someone move this post to trash can of the forum or something.

• Like 1

Yes i know, my english sux.

Now, now, everyone. Contrary to popular wisdom, strangers on the Internet are not drooling monkey feces that have somehow developed the ability to type. Not all of them, anyway. 

Steam benefits from being the big player with the most resources to handle these kinds of issues - though the reputation of their customer service is a bit of 'take what we offer or we will take everything you have and leave you naked on the curb'. 

Steam has been hacked twice, was using a poor encryption algorythym at least one time they were hacked (at least they salted though, so they were better than Sony. Now there's a company that can be blamed for being security numpties) and had an exploit identical to that mentioned in one of the OP articles that was unpatched for ages. And up until a couple of days ago it could totally Pool of Radiance your HD if you were using Linux- not really a bug either since the comment on the code made it clear the writer knew it was a stupid dangerous shortcut, but put it in anyway*.

Realistically though, there is nothing comprehensive any company can do to protect against people who use the same username and weak, always so very weak, password across every single account they use. And who, of course, swear blind that they haven't done that and always use a strong password, regularly change it in any case, have never fallen for phishing scams or installed unknown programs, didn't post on facebook saying they were away for a week that time they got burgled etc etc. They'll always insist that it is not their fault, that the company has been breached rather than them. Origin has proper security- as much as it can have, and pretty much identical to that steam has now- in place, but people bear responsibility for taking at least basic precautions themselves and if there were a general breach there'd be far more cases at the very least. They just make an easy target. Sheesh, Steam got busted monitoring people's internet traffic via dns and the press thanked them for it when they claimed it was an anti cheating measure, had it been Origin it would have been evidence that EA were trying to drink your soul.

*Which is why having a client- whoever makes it- with all its added vulnerabilities and idiosyncracies is stupid, but that horse has well and truly bolted.

The long and the short of it is that it is unwise for web stores to save your credit card information after a transaction, but without it you can't just 'impulse click' and buy something. You would need to type in your credit card number again. 

The saftest place to buy things are stores that let you purchase with a 'guest' login. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Isnt "remember by billing information" an optional check box? I know I always uncheck it when I make a purchase.

Yes, but a lot of people do it for convenience. I know I do, even though I remember my credit card number by heart so it'd be so easy to retype it - and it's not really defensible behaviour.

• Like 1

It's also an opt-out, not an opt in. And it's opt out for a very good reason, most people won't opt out so they get the benefit of one click impulse buys while saying that the option is there not to store details. In theory it shouldn't make a difference and it should be securely encrypted in any case, but it only takes one site with crap security even if it doesn't store CC if someone is using the same username/ password then you can potentially just log in and look the CC info up.

I far prefer estores like gamersgate or GOG that don't store your details under any circumstances to those that you have to opt out of. Only one I use that has my details stored is Amazon, and that's because I use my Brit CC there and it has to be registered to work in any case. Having said that, if you're dumb or unlucky enough to get a keylogger or trojan none of that is going to help, with or without the additional security features like the non embossed non retained security codes.

Edited by Zoraptor

I had a pretty big scare yesterday when EA sites wouldn't accept my login info. I'd heard about this a week ago and have been trying to keep an eye out in case something shows up on my account.

Turns out there was a temporary hiccup with logins.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well if you're already infected by Steam, might as well contract Origin and hope both antigens wipe each other out.

To my way of thinking, that's like hoping to cure the chicken pox by infecting yourself with the measles. :-

...not that I have anything against Origin/others per se. I just don't want more than Steam right now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well if you're already infected by Steam, might as well contract Origin and hope both antigens wipe each other out.

Because the best way to deal with a security risk is to add another security risk into the equation.  :shifty:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

it's called Extreme Computing, man.  Gotta take risks.

Is there a grassroots movement to sue EA ?  It is EA after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I haven't given Origin any payment info yet thankfully. Everything I have on Origin was from Humble Bundle, On the House, or physical copies with activation codes.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Now, now, everyone. Contrary to popular wisdom, strangers on the Internet are not drooling monkey feces that have somehow developed the ability to type. Not all of them, anyway. 

Steam benefits from being the big player with the most resources to handle these kinds of issues - though the reputation of their customer service is a bit of 'take what we offer or we will take everything you have and leave you naked on the curb'. 

I look at me reflection and don't think I have a monkey face.

But I think my ancestor most likely elvoled from monkeys or apes and as his / her decendent I developed the ability to type :w00t:

Sorry for putting it in the wrong forum.