Who is going to wait till the first update before playing?

I think (you'll never know how it goes when the time is there :D) I'll wait for the guide and lore books included in my tier, so that I have more information which class and race I'd like to play and how. But I will definitely play around with character creation and the first 30 minutes or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm gonna sound totally nuts here, (this IS Obsidian we're talking about) but....I kinda am expecting a polished game on release.

I wish I could be so optimistic :) Judging by how every BB release has been broken in a different new way than the last releases, I'm afraid of what I'll find when I start the full game. Still, I won't be able to hold myself from playing the initial release. I'll shut myself off from the world after I get my serial key and not come back for about a month I guess.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I wish I could be so optimistic :) Judging by how every BB release has been broken in a different new way than the last releases, I'm afraid of what I'll find when I start the full game. Still, I won't be able to hold myself from playing the initial release. I'll shut myself off from the world after I get my serial key and not come back for about a month I guess.

Eh, I think the current build is already kinda okay'ish.

Sure there's lots of bugs left, but few that are really obvious. Between December and January there really has been a notable improvement each patch.

With February and March still to go I'm hopeful that the remaining bugs on release will be the already mentioned unnoticeable type like in BG2.

That said, all that could stop me from playing the game on the first day is the game itself preventing me from playing.

Eh, I think the current build is already kinda okay'ish.

Combat is broken by the interrupt bug. Experimentation with the ruleset continues, and personally, I expect it will continue for some time after the release. Is that "kinda okayish"? I don't think it is.

eFoHp9V.png

surprisingly, the interrupt "bug" hasn't broken combat, at least in our experience.  is strange.  enemies is not preventing our low resolve characters form successful discharging abilities.  sure, some o' our front-liners might have a slight delay in use o' an ability or spell, but if we didn't have a combat log, am not even sure we would notice having been interrupted +80% of the time. conversely, we can have the bb rogue, armed with a bow, attack an enemy healer and complete fail at neutralizing the heals in spite of a relative high rate of hit success.  enemies is still painting our party with a vast array o' debilitating effects and attacks regardless o' high rates o' interrupt.

in 435, interrupt is a monster with smaller teeth and claws than is being suggested.  the numbers is big, but the practical impact is negligible.

side issue: even in 435, when interrupt is arguably overpowered, concentration does not appear to be particular useful. this is not a pvp game, so theoretical usefulness o' what a high interrupt character could do to your priest or fighter is pointless. enemies who got equal powerful interrupt as does our party, is not hampering us 'cause o' interrupt.  however, counter-intuitive, playing on hard we take damage so fast that interrupt appears to be a complete negligible effect. we gotta disable the oncoming mob with slicken or confusion or some other spell or ability or we is dead... we gotta debilitate and kill so fast that interrupt is a tertiary concern at best. 2 hit deaths make interrupt a ridiculous small additional concern. resolve is useless to us when playing hard in 435.  "fix" interrupt and you also reduce our need for resolve/concentration, which is already a serious candidate for dumping.

there is bigger problems with interrupt and concentration than the fixes being suggested, but we got no suggestions for improvement.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Combat is broken by the interrupt bug. Experimentation with the ruleset continues, and personally, I expect it will continue for some time after the release. Is that "kinda okayish"? I don't think it is.

Hm, yeah that's "okay'ish" in my book. Certainly not good, but not outright bad either.

Like Gromnir said, it's something I wouldn't have noticed for quite some time and at best makes certain character builds OP. So it only breaks combat if you try and exploit it.

I'm more concerned about bugs actually breaking stuff without me having control over it, i.e. CTDs, incompletable Quests, vanishing Skills/Items, etc...

I noticed it as soon as I looked at my combat log after the BB Fighter was unable to score a hit while his stamina was drained... maybe just bad luck. Later, when I encountered for the Nth time beetles which bury underground and then hit me from underground without me being able to hit them back, I just alt+F4-ed. I really wish the game would sell as much as possible, because I'm fond of the team because of all their efforts, but I think basic things like this should have been nailed down looong ago.

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

the untargetable beetles is... annoying. am suspecting that if the beetle suffers some kinda dot or duration affect that persists from time they first go under ground, they do not seem to come back up... as it were.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Big ol' piles of nope on NOT playing it. Screw that noise, second it's out im gonna play it. If I find a bug that keeps me from progressing the story I'll just make other chars and focus on not-story stuff. It'll get patched eventually.

Def Con: kills owls dead

Their QA team simply isn't large enough to cover everything that could go wrong in a game of this size, they have admitted as much. For that reason I highly doubt the release version will be without a few glaring bugs and typos. 

For a truly bug free version I'd probably have to wait a year, though, which is too long for my taste, so i'll probably suck it up and deal with bugs. I just wish we had a Shadowkeeper save editor or console commands, those tend to be life savers if something goes horribly wrong. 

I would play it as soon as it is out but I might wait for the first patch. Not because I want to

but because of time constraints and Easter break is just around the corner so I kinda want

to lock myself in my room, read cave, and just do a little marathon. Might make a character
when it is released and wait til the first patch to play. Who knows how long it will take

to make the character with all the readings and lore and new system learnings and stuff. :dragon:

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

Unless the game is seriously broken, I really do not see myself waiting a month or two for it. Even New Vegas was playable at the time, it cannot be worse.

Oh, it certainly could.  I made the mistake of picking up wasteland 2 on launch, and even discounting the bugs, the game itself was so horribly lacking that even after multiple 1 gig patches, I'm disinclined to pick it back up.

Their QA team simply isn't large enough to cover everything that could go wrong in a game of this size, they have admitted as much. For that reason I highly doubt the release version will be without a few glaring bugs and typos. 

Then, quite honestly, they should have waited and not committed to a date.

This tells me you've never coded in your life and therefore don't understand complexity in fixing bugs. Fact of the matter is that on a PC platform, with its myriad of possible configurations compared to consoles, makes it insanely difficult to stamp out all bugs. There will always be bugs.

There really should never be any typos. I'll gladly volunteer to spell-check for them, :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

This tells me you've never coded in your life and therefore don't understand complexity in fixing bugs. Fact of the matter is that on a PC platform, with its myriad of possible configurations compared to consoles, makes it insanely difficult to stamp out all bugs. There will always be bugs.

It can tell you anything you like, a couple of lines on a forum isn't going affect the world one way or another.  Obisidian (and Troika before them) pulled the 'publisher push' card on every buggy mess they released (which was essentially all of them).  They can't do that this time.

But the comment I was responding to wasn't about little bugs.  It was about "glaring" bugs and the idea of just accepting a QA team inadequate to the actual needs of the project.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

Waiting for Chinese.

Totally can't understand those complex English words...

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget