Who is going to wait till the first update before playing?

This isn't Blizzard. I'm not expecting a polish experience at first

I know I'm gonna sound totally nuts here, (this IS Obsidian we're talking about) but....I kinda am expecting a polished game on release.

First off, under the hood, the game is built very IE-ish, and the IE games were pretty smooth on release (Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment, for example, only needed 1 patch each) Second, the game's been in beta for a rather long time. There's been no rush job here. Third, The Bug testing process has been decidedly different this time around. There's an extra element at play: US. Not to mention an element that ISN'T at play here: Multi-platform accountability.

Basically Nature + time + Obsidian's QA + the public.... plus there's still 2 more months of polish coming up even though Beta 392 is fully playable already...

I don't know. Just sayin'... Don't be surpized if PoE turns out to be the most polished release Obsidian's ever had.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 4

I don't know. Just sayin'... Don't be surpized if PoE turns out to be the most polished release Obsidian's ever had.

Those of us with physical copies are going to have to be really careful we don't fumble them and break everything, since they'll be so polished and hard to grip. :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Those of us with physical copies are going to have to be really careful we don't fumble them and break everything, since they'll be so polished and hard to grip. original.gif

No doubt.

Of course, when my physical copy comes in the mail, and I open it and I see...Bugs... Someone will PAY.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

I prefer to play a game without quest-breaking bugs, it totally ruins my immersion for a rpg. I play Wasteland 2 NOW, 5 patches after release :p

So I'll most likely wait for Pillars to get patched, maybe also try a fan mod if they are released by then. In the meantime, i'll divide my time between work and other games I currently play.

I'll also steer clear from spoilers ! :D

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Basically Nature + time + Obsidian's QA + the public.... plus there's still 2 more months of polish coming up even though Beta 392 is fully playable already...

Sure - finding bugs hasn't been a problem. The fix rate hasn't been especially fast though (from what I gather). I think they would have less programming staff than on a publisher release (although, dunno - they've got a bunch of peeps to come on during post to help).

• Like 1

Also, the unmodded BG2 currently has hundreds and hundreds of bugs (about 300 to be exact, according to the guys at G3, who have released mods that fix every single one of them.) But they're the types of bugs that most players will never notice. Like spells that stack when they're not supposed to; Creatures that are flagged as a different type than they're supposed to be; a few NPC ambient interjections that don't trigger; weapon speed factors that are off by 1; Spells that check the wrong type of saving throws. stuff like that.

If PoE is released with nothing but 300 of those types of bugs, I'll be positively giddy. Because stuff like that does not affect the game play experience.

Edited by Stun

Also, the unmodded BG2 currently has hundreds and hundreds of bugs (about 300 to be exact, according to the guys at G3, who have released mods that fix every single one of them.) But they're the types of bugs that most players will never notice. Like spells that stack when they're not supposed to; Creatures that are flagged as a different type than they're supposed to be; a few NPC ambient interjections that don't trigger; weapon speed factors that are off by 1; Spells that check the wrong type of saving throws. stuff like that.

If PoE is released with nothing but 300 of those types of bugs, I'll be positively giddy. Because stuff like that does not affect the game play experience.

As long as we don't lose companions between area transitions and our companions don't lose body parts for months, it will be OK :D

Wasteland 2, Zelda Majora's Mask 3D, maybe even Fire Emblem Awakening-

I ll try to buy as much time as possible with these for the patches to kick in !

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Wasteland 2, Zelda Majora's Mask 3D, maybe even Fire Emblem Awakening-

I ll try to buy as much time as possible with these for the patches to kick in !

Yes. The trick these days is to stop playing games for about 6 months, then come back and play the ones that have been released for a while and slowly build up to the ones that are going to release. That way you're always playing games that have been patched up :)

If you think about it these single player RPGs are the exact opposite of multiplayer FPS games when it comes to playing at launch. You want to play the latest multiplayer bonanza at launch because everyone else is and you get a bigger community. These RPGs are like wine. You're better off waiting :)

• Like 1

I'll play it day 1, then 5 years later make a mod for it after Sensuki teased us for years, but decides not to release it since he got a girlfriend...

Played Divinity: Original Sin before release too (and was I think the first outside of Larian to play the second post-beta area, which was pretty cool :))... and the reason why I don't play Wastelands 2 now isn't the state but since I have no faith in InXile, and WL2 hasn't dropped to a sufficient low price-level yet to take the plunge. Maybe the summer sale...

Of course I also played The Witcher II before any patches, never lost the mood to replay rather fast and thus never did the free DLC. I did notice they nerfed the tutorials difficulty into Oblivion though. But that has more to do with that game's gameplay rather than patching or bugs...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It's looking good enough to start playing from day one, barring any cataclysmic botchups. By the time I'll be good enough and wise enough about the game mechanics/gameplay to start a proper playthrough (hard settings) it'll probably be patch two or three!

So yes one here will be playing the game the first chance I get after its official release.