Who is going to wait till the first update before playing?

I am waiting for the WL2 patch 6 (balance patch) and the Original Sin final balance patch, i stop playing both games, after 10 hours of WL2 and original sin on the first town. I kickstart both games same was with POE and Torment and i am sure i am going to wait.

Why you ask?

After almost 10 years i don't play a good game, i don't know if i have to wait another 10 years to see a good game.

If i wait so long, why i cant wait a little more?

Yes i know, my english sux.

I'll wait 10 years, like BG1.

You mean you didn't regret that?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Sup All

So the release of PoE is relatively imminent, 2 months or so. Its been an amazing roller-coaster ride. Some of us have been following this game since KS release and some of us have participated in the Beta, kudos to those Beta testers who probably had some frustrating moments but ultimately helped  contribute constructively towards the stability of the overall gaming experience for non-Beta testers like me

But my question is when PoE is first released there will still be some understandable technical issues. And Obsidian, as most software companies do, will release that first initial patch\update after about month or so..so my question is who is going to wait for that first patch before playing. Or are you far too excited and will be playing PoE the moment its released

I generally wait for that first patch  :geek: 

we already paid for the game, so is unlikely we wait. kickstarter backing is different. nevertheless, for any traditional purchase o' a crpg, we always wait until at least the first major post-release patch before considering a purchase... and day 1 or day 3 patchings is not what we means by a first patch. we waited a full year to buy me3 and that were an excellent choice in retrospect. by waiting you almost invariably gets a more stable game. frequently you also manage to get a cheaper game as price drops after a couple months is extreme common.  with me3, by waiting we got dlc and other additional content for free. by delaying your purchase, you also send a message to the developers that you ain't gonna pay for an under-cooked beta release masquerading as finished product. complain 'bout buggy day 1 release but continue to buy day 1 releases is making your complaints about buggy releases rather impotent. 

if you haven't backed via kickstarter, we see no good reason to buy the game any earlier than the first major patch... and more likely you can wait for first major price drop. am realizing that if more folks took Gromnir advice it would hurt obsidian, but am speaking to bruce as a fellow consumer o' crpgs.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i probably will. i have so many games pilled up that this will have to take a number and wait it's turn when it's out

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I intend to start playing the day it comes out. The only two ways I can see myself waiting to play the game are if I end up being too busy that week (unlikely, but possible) or if the game has serious enough problems that it won't run in a playable state on my computer (also unlikely).

Minor bugs don't usually bother me, and I doubt I'll have the patience to wait for the first patch, so diving in is the way to go.

knightofchaoss.jpg

I intend to take the release build, travel back in time to the dawn of the Kickstarter campaign, hand Obsidian that build, say "You're welcome," tip my hat, and disappear again in my DeLorean. Then play the twice-as-good version the day it comes out.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Isn't mostly everything done? they have months of preparation before release. Someone ought to go in their office and slap them all silly if their a lot of technical issues at release.

will this be the first obsidian game you have ever played?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I intend to take the release build, travel back in time to the dawn of the Kickstarter campaign, hand Obsidian that build, say "You're welcome," tip my hat, and disappear again in my DeLorean. Then play the twice-as-good version the day it comes out.

I don't think that would be very helpful unless you gave them the source code :p Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

I don't think that would be very helpful unless you gave them the source code :p

you lost me a bit there... the source code is not part of the final game?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I don't think that would be very helpful unless you gave them the source code tongue.png

you lost me a bit there... the source code is not part of the final game?

Not in the form that is readable just like that. They would need to decompile everything.

It also lacks all original assets used to make the game.

Same reason why BGEE games didn't turn out better, they didn't have access to any of original assets.

I play games pretty slowly these days.  I'll probably jump in within a day or two of the game's release, but if the response among those with more free time is that the game is especially scarred by bugs, balance issues, and other problems a patch should fix, I could be convinced to put it on the shelf a while to ripen. 

I will wait until they release a big patch to fix a list of issues, so really depends on their QA for the exact time.  Don't imagine the game will be very broken so much as to make release day playing treacherous so to speak, but never hurts to wait.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't think that would be very helpful unless you gave them the source code tongue.png

I've gotta leave them some kind of challenge, right? Otherwise, what's the fun?

Oooh, ooh! I'll just print out all the source code, and give them hard copies. 8D!

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I will wait until they release a big patch to fix a list of issues, so really depends on their QA for the exact time.  Don't imagine the game will be very broken so much as to make release day playing treacherous so to speak, but never hurts to wait.

Yeah thats basically my stance and perspective on the game

But I'm also excited for the people who will be jumping in and playing the game from day 1, I like to read the feedback. Thats not the same as people ruining the story. For example I still don't know the plot about DA:I yet enough people liked it to convince me that I will like it :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll wait for polish. I've yet to go play WL2 since I think they have a patch or two coming but I'll need to check.

This isn't Blizzard. I'm not expecting a polish experience at first and find with my limited game time I'd rather play a game once its done right.

I will never not accidentally read "polish" as "Polish" when first eyeing through a post, it seems. That was all kinds of confusing, honestly.

I am most definitely not expecting a Polish experience either. I had that once, I was lost in Krakow for a full night and woke up near the planty with a kebab in my hand.

• Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg