Who is going to wait till the first update before playing?

Sup All

So the release of PoE is relatively imminent, 2 months or so. Its been an amazing roller-coaster ride. Some of us have been following this game since KS release and some of us have participated in the Beta, kudos to those Beta testers who probably had some frustrating moments but ultimately helped  contribute constructively towards the stability of the overall gaming experience for non-Beta testers like me

But my question is when PoE is first released there will still be some understandable technical issues. And Obsidian, as most software companies do, will release that first initial patch\update after about month or so..so my question is who is going to wait for that first patch before playing. Or are you far too excited and will be playing PoE the moment its released

I generally wait for that first patch  :geek: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm already playing the beta. Thus, I've already inoculated myself to the bugs so much so that they won't bother me too much on release.

• Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I would be surprised if it really would take a month for the first update after release. These days, it's not uncommon to release the first patch within a week. And for many, I think there'll even be a patch waiting on installation (because even after "going gold", they'll probably keep working on things).

I wish I could wait. And maybe I'll wait a day or two out of sheer necessity. But honestly speaking, no, I don't foresee myself waiting very long. I want to get into things and I'm going to pick the game apart and critique everything as I always do.

t50aJUd.jpg

I'll probably wait until the second or third patch, even.

For one thing, the game will ship on 26th March, which is right before the start of the busiest time of the year for me at work. I won't have much time to play until end of May / beginning of June.

Second, I want to take my time enjoying all the extra goodies I got for backing the game: novella, almanac, strategy guide, art book, soundtrack ... I'll even RTFM. I want to be well acquainted with the lore and setting before I start playing.

Last but not least, the more bugs are fixed before I start playing, the better my first time through the game will be ;)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'll have to wait until after the weekend to play it regardless, so I guess any possible massive game-breaking release days bugs should be taken care of by then, but yeah I have no intention of waiting until the first parch or anything like that -- I'll be playing it asap. The obvious sound issues aside, I thought the build Josh was playing on the Twitch stream looked great, so I'm not too worried about the games' stability.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I'll have to wait until after the weekend to play it regardless, so I guess any possible massive game-breaking release days bugs should be taken care of by then, but yeah I have no intention of waiting until the first parch or anything like that -- I'll be playing it asap. The obvious sound issues aside, I thought the build Josh was playing on the Twitch stream looked great, so I'm not too worried about the games' stability.

Streamed content gets additional prior stability passes though. That's not to say that the game won't be as stable on release, we'll have to wait and see.

It's probably day 1 for me, unless I have other stuff to do.

Nothing gold can stay.

Assuming I am free, I will play and submit bug reports as I go.

The game will no doubt be rough around the edges even with a day 0 patch, most games are these days. Will probably take a while post-release to get things feeling right. As long as they follow the same trend as Larian and inXile and give good post-release support, listen to feedback and add new features it should end up being alright.

• Like 5

There's always at least one broken quest in an rpg on release so if I'm buried in work or knee deep in another game I'll put it off. But if nothing else is going on then I'm not going to be able to stop myself from diving in. I won't regret it unless it's released with a real showstopper.

I'll have to play it at least some on release, even if I don't truly finish it for a long while. I like knowing/relating to what people are talking about, even more so here since I can't just totally avoid reading the PoE forums. Patching has never been a reason for me to wait to play, really. Only if I can't start the game at all, or something. Haha.

Plus, this: ;)

Waiting a month would also limit my ability to smack talk in the forums.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To play or not to play it, that's the question. I'll wait until people say "this game is playable until the end and there aren't serious bugs".

The day of the release, I'll open the next thread: "Is the game playable or is better to wait?"

Betatesters and Obsidian are doing a great task improving the game and delaying its release, so I'm cofident we will have a solid game in the release.

As someone who played both Neverwinter Nights 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil on day one and still enjoyed the experience, I will, of course, dive right in....and probably finish the game, before the first major patch.

How can anyone have the game in their hands and willingly impose further delay on it? I don't think I have such willpower in my DNA

• Like 9

Of course the Beta has been enjoyable fairly playable since the last build, so while there will undoubtedly be bugs in the initial release it should be playable. I'll be downloading as soon as possible and starting to play.

One of the things about the kickstarter games is because they're primarily sold online and aren't stuck having to interact with a publisher you tend to get a fairly recent build on the release date (possibly the day before) so things should work fairly well even if it's a few days before a patch is released While those who are buying physical editions will find they've got a build of the game that's a few weeks to months older and thus need a day 0 patch or to wait until the first patch is released.

Edited by aeonsim