New Vampire RPG in development.

I'm also a big Bloodlines fan and would love for this to succeed.

I was also surprised to see "kappa" on that list.

吸血鬼 (kyuuketsuki) = vampire in Japanese. It makes sense character-wise.

吸 - suck

血 - blood

鬼 - devil/ogre etc.

Hengeyokai is probably 変化妖怪

Henge meaning "to change" (since it wears anothers skin I guess) and Yokai, as Gromnir has said, is a generic term for bad spirits.

As others have pointed out, a kappa is a completely different mythological creature. Which makes me wonder what else on that list is inaccurate.
Nevertheless, I think that's how fantasy/fiction evolves. Taking a myth from another culture and putting a new spin on it. I don't mind the spelling as long as its a good game!

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

If Remember Me is anything to go by, Vampyr will probably end up more Redemption than Bloodlines. Linear, action heavy and plot focused.

Honestly, I preferred Redemption (well, the first part of it), but that's because vampires running around with guns always seems weird to me, and I pretty much hate non-cover-based shooters.

Plus that's the World of Darkness for you, that grouped various names together, and mashed up several to create "new ones"

Hengeyokai was the generic "China/Japan" term for shapeshifters in the WoD.

Kind of like Kuei-Jin was the mashed up name for their Asian specific brand of Vampires.

Remember, it was a roleplaying game. They didn't stress that much over Etymology. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have no comments re: the game/developer, but I rather like the jacket the guy is wearing in the poster - and the fedora on the guy in the background. Also that it's apparently set in a WW1 period vs. some made up dark fantasyland world or something. Not that I know how legit the setting will be. Could be an alternate WW1 universe for all I know.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm super excited, I hear they are taking a lot of inspiration from Twilight.

Twilight-wallpaper-twilight-series-50671

Are they trying to one-up BioWare's in the hilariously bad romance department?

Somehow Twilight and Bioware reminded me of this:

880081034.jpg

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Could be an alternate WW1 universe for all I know.

perhaps like an alternate ww1 universe with freaking vampires in it?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Could be an alternate WW1 universe for all I know.

perhaps like an alternate ww1 universe with freaking vampires in it?

HA! Good Fun!

:p

I just meant that it may not be a very historically accurate version of ww1 universe, even outside of the vampires.  Like when they make those periods a lot more tech advanced in some movies etc. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have tried their last game and first attempt to make an RPG, Mars: War Logs, on Steam.  I did not finish it but I will if I ever get the time to play it again.  It was not great, but it was not too bad either.  I actually think most of you would enjoy it.    In some ways Mars: War Logs was quite reminiscent of the early 3D RPG from Troika and BioWare back in the early 2000s.  A very interesting/unique premise and world.  (Started as a prison escape on a cyberpunk Mars, and then got dragged into some sort of planetary politics and civil war over the limited water resource - that is unique.) So much potentials, yet flawed due to limited budget, overreaching and uneven gameplay.   But it was a good attempt.

I think they are making a sequel called Technomancer.  Hopefully their will do better because the world they had created for the first game was definitely a  unique and very interesting one.

Edited by ktchong

Ahem. In Swedish, "vampyr" is the proper spelling of vampire, so I may say the same about "vampire". ;)

It's not a made up word as one might expect so the devs could claim copyright on the IP. They would be hard pressed to prevent the creation of another Vampyr game. 

I prefer Vampir actually, that's where a certain famous one comes from.

Nosferatu - Romania 

Upyr - Russia 

Yakshis - India 

Lampir - Bosnia 

yara ma yha who - aboriginal australian 

vampir - bulgaria 

obayifo - ghana 

callicantzaros - greece 

bajang - malaysia 

baital - india 

incubus - pan european 

jaracara - brazilian 

baobhan sith - old gaelic scottish 

mulo - serbian 

vampyr - slavic 

asasabonsam - ghana 

ekiminus - assyria 

kathakano - crete 

aswang - philippines 

vampira - philppines 

danag - philippines 

mananangal - philippines 

encantong dugo - philippines 

capre - philippines 

tianak (vampire baby) - philippines 

mandurugo - philippines 

pontianak - malaysia 

canchus - peru 

ghoul - arabic 

kukuthi - albanian 

lugat - albanian 

dakhanavar - armenia 

bluatsauger - germany 

nachzehrer - germany 

mulo - gypsy 

alukah - hebrew 

kappa - japan 

kyuketsuki - japan 

strix - latin 

vampir - hungarian 

upirina - croatian 

drakul - serbian 

sukuyan - trinidad and tobago 

upyr - slavic ukranian 

What I gather from this is Philipinos can't even decide how to spell it.

-----

With regards to the game, I'll put this in my "keep an eye on it' list.  Anything RPG-related is going to pique my interest.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)