New Vampire RPG in development.

It does not however use the World of Darkness license.

Instead it is an entirely new IP in development by Dontnod Entertainment.

vampyr.jpg

Titled Vampyr, it is apparently set just after the First World War with the player character being a recently turned doctor, who has to balance his new lust for blood and his instinct as a trained physician to try and save lives.
The sparse details about it can be found here, but there's very little information available. We don't even know what platforms it will be available on.

As a huge, huge fan of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines I can't help but feel some excitement at the prospect of a game like this being made. That poster even seems to be deliberately recalling the Bloodlines boxart.

However I am too jaded these days to not feel some amount of cynicism for this project. I have not forgotten Dark.

Do you guys reckon Dontnod will be able to tap into the Bloodlines magic? I did not play Remember Me, so I cannot comment on it.

• Like 4

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I only have one game to go by as to judge Dontnod's abilities as a developer, Remember Me, which was frankly not good.  Still, maybe this genre will fit them better and I wouldn't mind a vampire RPG, at least vampires aren't nearly as ****ed out as zombies.  I'll be interested to hear more about it once details about the game come out.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ahem. In Swedish, "vampyr" is the proper spelling of vampire, so I may say the same about "vampire". ;)

It's not a made up word as one might expect so the devs could claim copyright on the IP. They would be hard pressed to prevent the creation of another Vampyr game. 

I prefer Vampir actually, that's where a certain famous one comes from.

Nosferatu - Romania 

Upyr - Russia 

Yakshis - India 

Lampir - Bosnia 

yara ma yha who - aboriginal australian 

vampir - bulgaria 

obayifo - ghana 

callicantzaros - greece 

bajang - malaysia 

baital - india 

incubus - pan european 

jaracara - brazilian 

baobhan sith - old gaelic scottish 

mulo - serbian 

vampyr - slavic 

asasabonsam - ghana 

ekiminus - assyria 

kathakano - crete 

aswang - philippines 

vampira - philppines 

danag - philippines 

mananangal - philippines 

encantong dugo - philippines 

capre - philippines 

tianak (vampire baby) - philippines 

mandurugo - philippines 

pontianak - malaysia 

canchus - peru 

ghoul - arabic 

kukuthi - albanian 

lugat - albanian 

dakhanavar - armenia 

bluatsauger - germany 

nachzehrer - germany 

mulo - gypsy 

alukah - hebrew 

kappa - japan 

kyuketsuki - japan 

strix - latin 

vampir - hungarian 

upirina - croatian 

drakul - serbian 

sukuyan - trinidad and tobago 

upyr - slavic ukranian 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's Wampir in Polish.  Also, dang, the Phillipines either have a large number of different vampires, a lot of different dialects, or a lot of ways to say the same thing.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hmm, and "strix" in Latin means owl. Something is not entirely correct about that vampire word list. Or maybe not. It turns out, it's an ancient Greek myth, with blood-sucking creatures - think of the RPG-monster "stirge"

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Get back to me when Yara Ma Yha Who is released.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ahem. In Swedish, "vampyr" is the proper spelling of vampire, so I may say the same about "vampire". ;)

well, if all the rest o' the puffery in the image from the genesis post were in swedish, that would be an excellent observation... and even in swedish, am imagining an over-sized blood-red 'Y' is kinda silly. 

the notion o' vampires does not appeal to us.  doesn't make sense to us as a curse, and the sexy, mckewl vampires gives us the willies.

a long time ago, we wrote a vampire story as part o' a writing exercise wherein (simplified) we were s'posed to write about something we cannot stand to see in stories. we chose vampires.  a few years previous to writing our vampire story, we had read an anne rice book at a friends's urging and we recalled a rather trivial detail: the protagonist vampire's hair grew back to a set length after resting in their coffin for the day. it occurred to us that such a detail, taken to an obvious conclusion, could be an effective curse, and an explanation for why vampires ain't everywhere.  what if all physical aspects o' a vampire reset with the dawn, including memory? our memories is stored chemically in the brain, likely in hippocampus and pre-frontal for short-term, yes?  but for the vampire who is complete physical reset before dawn, all those memories would be lost.  any physical or chemical changes to the brain would reset just as did hair length. even with daily diaries, how long could a person, even an undead person, function without memories?  how long would anybody choose to live that way?

our story kinda sucked (yes, we went there) but we liked the notion o' vampires who could not keep memories beyond their death.  our pnp rpg vampires frequently have such a shortcoming as it explains their invariably stoopid behaviors.

regardless, am not a fan o' vampires, so game would need to be extremely well-made for us to overcome our initial pharyngeal reflex.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

New vampire game is released and Obsidianites are arguing over etymology, stay classy.

Really I think people that are hyped are hoping it will be like VTM:B but really I think it will be more like Dark.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

yokai is kinda generic for bad spirits, and henge is change? so a shape-change demon? not sure if that is a vampire.

have never seen it romanized, but japanese vampires, which seem near  identical to western traditions in their movies, is kukitsuki, or somesuch, yes?  am not sure 'bout anime or games though. 

we spend a little time in asia each year... typical japan.  we has avoided the islamic nations as our reason for visiting is free speech lectures and those don't go over so well in the islamic world.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm super excited, I hear they are taking a lot of inspiration from Twilight.

Twilight-wallpaper-twilight-series-50671

Are they trying to one-up BioWare's in the hilariously bad romance department?

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I only have one game to go by as to judge Dontnod's abilities as a developer, Remember Me, which was frankly not good.  Still, maybe this genre will fit them better and I wouldn't mind a vampire RPG, at least vampires aren't nearly as ****ed out as zombies.  I'll be interested to hear more about it once details about the game come out.

Yeah, that's what scares me too. Remember Me looked gorgeous and the presentation was great but everything else was pretty much mediocre. But maybe they have learned from that game and I am itching for a vampire themed RPG.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.