....Well crap

Longknife

sfyF5TC.png

I....I did it. I beat Youtube. I've watched everything....

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW??

• Like 5

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Start power lifting.

* is predictable *

longknife has mentioned more than once that he is disabled, so, depending on the type o' disability, that may not be the ideal advice.  

half the threads we read at the espn boards includes somebody who claims to be making +$17,000 per month while working at home and doing little more than internet browsing. maybe give that a try... though am beginning to suspect that such posts may not be on the up-'n-up.  we kid.

there is always pr0n.  am suspecting that it would be almost impossible to exhaust all internet pr0n content in a normal lifetime.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Start power lifting.

* is predictable *

longknife has mentioned more than once that he is disabled, so, depending on the type o' disability, that may not be the ideal advice.  

Could, but lifting with only one leg is basically akin to doubling the weight being lifted, so it'd be hard and require more effort. Also probably not a wise idea since knees are notoriously bad at coping with age. People who lift furniture often have back and knee problems as they get older and I'd imagine I'd be more susceptible to this since I got only one knee getting twice the normal stress.

Professional p0rn watcher sounds better since my junk works perfectly. Where do I sign up for that?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

well, have you considered running for Congress?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/12/congress-sex-scandal_n_6148660.html?utm_hp_ref=anthony-weiner

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I had no idea you were disabled, Longknife, but there is lots of exercises you can do with just one leg too if you've got two good arms. Out of defiance, I'd probably be even more motivated to work out if I was disabled. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Out of defiance, I'd probably be even more motivated to work out if I was disabled. 

With all due respect, that to me is a mentality that allows your disability to define who you are rather than recognizing it as just one trait. I get very sick of all the emails I get from well-meaning friends showing off Blade Runner or whoever the disabled guy of the hour is saying "look how fast he runs! See you can do it too!!" Cool, except 1) He's wearing prosthetics costing 10's of thousands of dollars which are already well known to be fast as God himself but are only available to richer folks, so this is nothing new, and 2) why does having one leg automatically imply I have this dream of running fast? I don't, I don't give a ****.

I also like how the thread has a tone of "I'm out of Youtube, now what can I do to fill the void"  (though it's joking of course) and the top recommendation is fitness, because that's exactly what a person who used to sit on their ass watching videos would wanna jump right into. :p

• Like 1

I understand completely, I just wanted to say how I would feel if I had a disability, it was not my suggestion to let a disability have too much influence on your life, be it negative or positive. 

lso like how the thread has a tone of "I'm out of Youtube, now what can I do to fill the void" (though it's joking of course) and the top recommendation is fitness, because that's exactly what a person who used to sit on their ass watching videos would wanna jump right into.

But thats exactly why I made that suggestion! Doesn't doing something completely different and useful sound appealing?  :w00t: 

I know if I had spent countless hours on watching Youtube videos the last thing I'd want to do is something very similar, like reading an entire shelf of books or watching movies. 

Edited by Woldan

Btw, most underrated workout ever?

Rock climbing. Seriously go try it. Imagine a workout where you don't have to feel the burn and instead you just feel awesome. That's rock climbing.

• Like 1

I'm a mountain climber and I have to agree, sometimes you have to pull your entire bodyweight with just one arm and when climbing overhangs you need a lot of core strength to keep your body straight. Not to mention flexibility.  Its a great full body workout, but like any body weight exercises it has is limitations- the weight. Some movements can be performed with far more weight than your own body weight.

Its a great and fun way to get fit but its not easy and is also one of the most dangerous sports. 

Another highly underrated workout: the good old obstacle course. Especially with a heavy backpack and lots of climbing ropes. I love obstacle courses and I wish I had easy access to one, heck, I'd love to build my own. 

Edited by Woldan

Ok, thats a common myth that needs to be debunked right now.  

I weigh 100kg and I'm still very good in one of my greatest passions - cycling. I can keep up with experienced cyclists weighing 30% less than me. (We're not talking Olympic-level here though). Not to mention hiking in the mountains at high altitudes and steep inclines including climbing, I can easily keep up with fit people who are much smaller and lighter than me.  How is that possible? The heavier an object gets the more power you need to move it, there is no way around that. That means, in practical reality, I simply need to eat a little more to keep up.  

Also a couple of months ago I watched a Triathlon which was held here in Austria, the winner was a very wiry guy with the typical runners build (who collapsed and was rushed to the hospital). The second place went to a guy who looked buff, easily if not above my weight class.
The difference in physique between the winner and the second placed guy was dramatic, and they were only a couple of minutes apart. 

So, from my experience I don't see a correlation between body mass and endurance unless we're talking about highly specialized Olympic athletes. But thats where all kinds of crazy performance enhancing drugs are being used, thats where things get blurry. 
Anyway, the day my body weight / muscle mass starts to slow my down I stop lifting altogether. But thats not going to happen the natural way, without roids, and supplements + roids is where I draw the line.

Do I believe that pro bodybuilders and 180kg 200cm power lifters have less endurance / are slower than fit people with a wiry build? Absolutely, at a certain point its inevitable, but you'd be hard pressed to reach that level the natural way. 

*edit* Feel free to move the last couple of posts to the fitness thread. We're kind of derailing here... 
Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Wouldn't it be an advantage to be small and wirery over buff, like running a marathon. Theres not as much mass to move.  

yes.  there is different kinds o' strength: static, dynamic, and possibly explosive, depending on who you talk to.  most athletic activities require a combination o' various kinds o' strength, but some activities stress one kind over another. ultimately, powerliting is about maximizing the amount o' weight you can move... once. 

maxresdefault.jpgis a promotional photo from our old gym.  

a 160lb rock climber has far less weight to drag up the side o' the rock wall than does the guy pictured above, or Gromnir.  and to compound the issue, the kinda strength the guy above is focused on achieving is not dynamic. 160lb rock climber got be strong for as long as it takes him to get from bottom to top of rock wall or cliff face or whatever. the power-lifter need be strong for seconds and fractions of seconds.  

cycling as somehow analogous to rock climbing is, of course, a horrible example 'cause a bike is supporting the cyclist's weight whereas the rock climber is having to carry all that weight. cyclists is working against wind resistance, which is about aerodynamics. you can be a bigger guy and still have a decent aerodynamic profile, which is why the elite cyclists do all that crazy wind tunnel training to shave seconds off their times.  is also the reason you see fat guys at the gym more likely to be using a bike than a treadmill.  sit on recumbent bike at the gym and you is not even need worrying about fighting wind resistance and the nice wide seat is supporting all your weight. 

conversely, 'cause we is using silly anecdotal evidence again, we recall playing d1 football at university. when we got to Cal, the coaches decided to make us a fb, so we added considerable weight to play the position. no matter how strong we were, we couldn't defeat sir issac neewton, eh? at 220 lb we were able to generate more force than we were at 180 lbs.  to block pac ten linebackers and defensive linemen while weighing in at 180 lbs were far more difficult than at 220 lbs. took us more than a year with some o' the best strength and conditioning experts on the planet to add the weight. 'course maintaining 220 lbs and keeping speed were a difficult thing, made all the more difficult 'cause o' all the freaking running we had to do in practice and games. at the start o' the season Gromnir were a bit over 220 lbs, but by the end, we had dropped to a shade over 190 lbs.  running and rock climbing is requiring a different kinda strength and physique than powerlifting.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

ultimately, powerliting is about maximizing the amount o' weight you can move... once.

Wrong. Powerlifting consists of one rep max exercises as well as exercises for reps against time. Its also wrong to assume that it focuses mainly on one kind of strength, there are static strength exercises like doing the ''cross'', dynamic ones like sled pulling and pushing, the farmers walk, tire flipping, also rep-heavy lifts like atlas stones. And many more.

Methinks you're talking about Olympic lifting.

cyclists is working against wind resistance, which is about aerodynamics.

This is true for oval cyclists, if your cycling consists mainly of climbing mountains (which it should) with 15-20° and even steeper inclines the wind plays a very very minor role. That is where cyclist weight plays a huge role. Which of course does not matter on a static bike in the gym. On downhill sections a triathlon bar can be used which does decrease the aerodynamically coefficient enough top enable me to increase my max downhill speed by about 8% and my speed on straights by about 3-4%.

My beloved bike with the triathlon handlebar:

cfgjfjf_zps6572bf54.jpg

Edited by Woldan

one of these days, Gromnir and others will get woldan to see the problem with single examples and personal anecdotes.

in college, and early in his pro football career, herschel walker were on the hamburger and milkshake diet.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1891&dat=19810105&id=dqMfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=C9YEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4716,794042

a 230 lb guy with world class speed who never touched weights and all he would eat were peas, hamburgers and milkshakes? we will note that even herschel, once he hit his 40s, complete hanged his diet. is still wacky, but no red meat... and he still don't lift weights. even so, despite being a genetic freak, herschel had to change once he reached 40.

someday you will figure it out.

HA! Good Fun!

Thats nice and interesting and everything but I was actually expecting a direct answer to my previous post where I proofed you wrong about the strengths being used in official power lifting.

But no answer is also an answer I guess. 

sorry, but you haven't "proofed" anything in this thread yet. nice picture o' your bike though, so... thanks for sharing?

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/

oh, and by definition, the goal o' powerlifting is max on the three core lifts.  

HA! Good Fun!

My bad, I meant strongman, not powerlifting. As a powerlifter you train for those three exercise plus strongman exercise, as most powerlifters compete in those two categories. Competitive powerlifting indeed only consists of those three disciplines, strongman however consists of those three plus the disciplines I mentioned.

Also about the aerodynamic importance in cycling, from all the things that are important in cycling aerodynamic drag is definitely not on the top of the list. On top of the list is tire width , diameter, profile and air pressure (in other words rolling resistance), closely followed by the mechanical friction caused by the gears and shifting mechanism.

Outside ovals cycling is not about aerodynamics, its mainly about keeping mechanical friction down. What are you going to notice more when doing a three-four hour cycling stint through changeable terrain? Aerodynamic drag or friction from your tires, the wheel bearings and chain plus gears? If you'd constantly do 60-65 km/h for a couple of minutes like oval cyclists do aerodynamics would play a role, but once you throw in mountains the average speed is easily halfed and so is the importance of drag, chipping away hundredths of it does not do much at all. You might as well be trying to make it lighter, one gram at a time.

Edited by Woldan

you never tire of being wrong.  you has said powerlifting innumerable times.  we used visual and written examples o' powerlifting and you didn't change toon. so now it is strongman?  *chuckle* fine.  describe which strongman events you would recommend to longknife. while you do so, we will amuse our self as we picture famous strongmen showing off their rock climbing skills.

Zydrunas_Savickas_lifting_weight.jpg

http://www.strongman.org/events/?PageSpeed=noscript

regardless, we do hope you will finally abandon the anecdotal nonsense, but perhaps that is too much to hope for.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/The_Physics_of_Moving_a_Bike_163.html

air resistance is the primary source o' drag a cyclist faces.  the role o' air resistance increases as does speed.

am wondering how much help you is gonna need to understand drag and aerodynamics. 

"At high speeds, racing a bicycle can feel like swimming through water: you can really feel the air pushing against you and (as we've already seen) you use around 80 percent of your energy overcoming drag. Now a bicycle is pretty thin and streamlined, but a cyclist's body is much fatter and wider. In practice, a cyclist's body creates twice as much drag as their bicycle. That's why cyclists wear tight neoprene clothing and pointed helmets to streamline themselves and minimize energy losses."

80%.

is not anecdotal 80%. is physics.

sheesh.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir