bad design decisions

ctn2003

How could ANYONE like 4e? oh wow, what have I done...

I think it's a bit lawyer-y to simply say "That's Sawyer's favorite!". He's talked about it many times, in detail, and always mentions specific things he likes a lot in it, while either thinking other things are "meh" or disliking them.

What he likes and dislikes about it tells a lot more than "does he hate or like an entire ruleset revision?"

Wait - you mean there can be variables between like and hate? It doesn't always have to be one or the other? Wow - who knew... :-

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Pre-buffing's fine. It's a thing you can have too much of or too little of, just like anything else. If they felt there was too much (which I agree with, on a certain level), then they could've just designed way fewer buffs to last that long. Honestly, though, in a cRPG, it's a bit silly to have buffs that last 6 hours and grant armor or damage or accuracy. They might as well just be auras, at that point. "For the next 73 encounters, you'll get to go beyond the stat choices you made at character creation PLUS your current level's worth of allocations PLUS your current gear already makes you." There's nothing tactical about that. It's never a better idea to forego buffs at that point.

So, yeah, agree with the "too much pre-buffing" view, from a tactical standpoint, but disagree with heavy-handed "ZERO PRE-BUFFING!" If a dish is over-seasoned, you don't remove all the seasoning.

Agree with this.

I think when designing buffs some consideration has to go into making them situational enough that they're not an "always cast this before anything" sort of buff.

All the cat's grace, bull's strength, etc. are examples of buffs that amount to nothing but tedium: you used them, they lasted forever, it was a chore to apply them.

However, pre-buffing with something like a Flame Blade spell after scouting out an area with some Trolls... well, that's fine and tactical and all good. It's similar to figuring you should be using detect in an area that just looks "trappy".

Then there's prioritizing. If you can just take all the good buffs and stack them on eachother, that's dull. If it's a choice between a few that substantially alter your character in some way, that's more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Why can't we have a poll to see which possible customizations are the most desired ones and have the Pillars team decide if they can add them to the next update?

Because polls are useless and all that counts is arguments?

t50aJUd.jpg

Why can't we have a poll to see which possible customizations are the most desired ones and have the Pillars team decide if they can add them to the next update?

Because polls are useless and all that counts is arguments?

In that case please do explain how what you just wrote is a valid argument.

To get back to the topic at hand, I think color-highlighting when comparing item stats would be a great idea, as the game requires a moderate amount of reading as it is.

It's somewhat absurd IMHO because color-highlighting IS already present in the game, i.e. in the case of looking up the stats of "better than casual" items, but not when comparing the stats of different items. Seems to me like a very incoherent design decision. Or is this some oldschool homage I don't get behind omitting said feature?

As I've been playing I've found very few bad design decisions.  Most of them are just a matter of taste.  

One would be that certain classes don't really shine until you're in a full party, so the beginning is ever so slightly more difficult than the middle.  But that doesn't take very long.

Another would be a couple of the skill challenges where you can't send another party member to do it.

Also, it doesn't make sense that you can't queue up stronghold upgrades.

Finally, I wish speed gave you the actual speed of the weapon instead of saying fast / slow etc.

The game has been awesome though, and I can honestly say that I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoyed any Infinity Engine game.  Maybe even a little more.

• Like 1

I think the stash/loot systems is the worst design decision I've seen in the game.

As i think the stash-system is the best: there is already an option to disable this, also i think there is a mode that disables it automatically (?), so the stash is actually quite well done. And with loot i only have 1 problem: i wish that you could actually stack armor. If this would work, it would be perrrrrrrfect.