bad design decisions

ctn2003

@archangel: That is true. Not posting does not mean anything. But probably some of them are not playing the beta, or just started some build, saw what the game looks like first hand, and left to wait for release. Most backers will make up their mind upon release, beta or no (those who care about the game that is, others will wait for reactions or reviews to remember it and see if they should move it up their game queue). So it's kind of difficult to reach any conclusion based on forum posters, but I do agree that having complaints repeated multiple times by the same people does not represent a massive dissatisfaction, and I have reasons to believe that (some design complaints aside) the game is shaping up well enough for what was pitched.

Edited by Gorbag

Nothing gold can stay.

For me, If it's gonna be at least as good as Wasteland 2, it will be a huge succes. At first I criticized Wasteland2, but man got to play game like this to know it's true value, and I think same will be with PoE. Wasteland 2 true strenght was it's plot, and maybe heres the same deal. Just 2 months more and we will see it all.

Indeed. Label me storylover but if PoE plot and side quests are as much fun as WL2 I'm ready to shrug off any shortcomings.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 2

I have give up on PoE couple of months ago, mainly because i think the magic in PoE is disaster.

However i hope PoE will have good sales, because then there is non zero change for different game (DnD 5eth ruleset and current PoE engine).

I have give up on PoE couple of months ago, mainly because i think the magic in PoE is disaster.

However i hope PoE will have good sales, because then there is non zero change for different game (DnD 5eth ruleset and current PoE engine).

I don't know about D&D 5e, but good sales might mean a Pathfinder game in PoE engine.

I don't know about D&D 5e, but good sales might mean a Pathfinder game in PoE engine.

True. 

I'm just gona say It. Josh shouldnt be the director of this project If Tim was on the lead game would release maybe next year but with hell of more stuff in It.

..it's a bit weird to make Josh the director and then trash his first combat/role-playing schema as well. Almost as weird - to then replace it with something else that is beyond rescue.

But hey, I'm not one of the people who sponsored the development of the project, so no skin off my... oh, wait...

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

..it's a bit weird to make Josh the director and then trash his first combat/role-playing schema as well. Almost as weird - to then replace it with something else that is beyond rescue.

But hey, I'm not one of the people who sponsored the development of the project, so no skin off my... oh, wait...

Almost as weird as un-backing the project so that you have nothing invested, but still consistently expressing how unhappy you are with the project, over and over and over in a completely nonconstructive, "too bad it sucks" manner. Hmmm...

• Like 8

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

..honestly? After the kind of responses I got when I predicted exactly what would happen after the changes (never mind for the suggestions I made), it's not even bad for my karma to childisly gloat over how badly this has turned out. 

Edited by nipsen

..honestly? After the kind of responses I got when I predicted exactly what would happen after the changes (never mind for the suggestions I made), it's not even bad for my karma to childisly gloat over how badly this has turned out.

Did you predict your own incessant repetition of "the game I'm no longer invested in is ruined!"? Because... spot on! 8D

Also, I'm not familiar with the idea of watching someone enjoy a sandwich, while gloating at them about how disgusting you find their sandwich that you aren't eating and they aren't failing to enjoy. o_o

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The main issue with the attribute system was not the attribute system itself, but a 'bug' in how things are calculated causing accuracy to be way more important than it should be. Obsidian made these changes before I reported that bug, so those changes are based on "Accuracy is too strong", when now it no longer should be.

I'm surprised that nobody thought to double check how damage was being calculated *shrug*

I think the upcoming implementation will need changing, but I think Obsidian might just end up throwing in the towel.

• Like 2

From what im sering so far I cant help to wonder if poe is hoing to get slamed by reveiwrs for the combat and the bugs I mean im worreid that when this game comes out thell drop about 3 patches then never suppost it from then on. Thats what worries me the most.

Really. You're worried the game will get lukewarm reviews when the vast majority of the time spent with the game is boring and dull as wet candy-fluff. And the combat doesn't even have scripts to help you avoid the tedium of clicking in every single command, over and over again, in the same pattern every single time. I mean - how could that possibly be anything but an invalid complaint from people who don't see the genius in copying all the design flaws from Baldur's Gate in rapid succession. Truly, what supreme elitist of a reviewer wouldn't dismiss that concern as a minor detail as long as the writing is good.

No, I think we all know that this is going to work out brilliantly. It's going to soar into the sky until we stand and watch it, mouth open and eyes burning, shading our faces from the blinding radiance. Like the launch of the Hindenburg.

From what im sering so far I cant help to wonder if poe is hoing to get slamed by reveiwrs for the combat and the bugs I mean im worreid that when this game comes out thell drop about 3 patches then never suppost it from then on. Thats what worries me the most.

Don't be afraid ctn. The fear of a thing is usually worse than the thing itself.

• Like 1

This is one thing I'm super glad about. Automation can take a hike.

... because it would automatically queue up all the individual steps, right? 8D

• Like 2

A disaster? It's a bit bland, but it's not broken or anything.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Hehe.

If there's one thing these forums have taught me, it's that people fixate on really different things. One person's footnote is a central, inalienable part of another person's experience.

For me that would be the lore, worldbuilding, and writing. Fortunately that was never in question for this project, given Obsidian's excellent track record in that respect, not to mention what the project leads have done in that area before. I love Fenstermaker's work, MCA is MCA, and Josh's meticulous history-nerdiness and the way he's worked that into the lore is fantastic.

I get bored of fantasy combat simulators pretty quickly if that's all they are. I want lore and/or story, ideally both. If it has great combat gameplay on top of that, I'm ecstatic.

• Like 8

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I guess more mystiries will be revealed after this saturdays presentation but after the last presentation the lack of hotkeys and non-dynamic toolbars is the most consern of mine. Not to mention stash sound effects.

...and about my previous post I stated that I wished Tim Cain would have taken the lead. Please dont misunderstood me. I wasnt trashing or bad mouthing Josh Sawyer (which is stupid thing to think) but It is my opinion or It's just what I would prefer. World doesnt need to be black or white.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

And the combat doesn't even have scripts to help you avoid the tedium of clicking in every single command

Indeed. If it's one thing everyone in the world loves, then it's to get Baldur's Gate 2 - just without the crutch that was AI scripts. AI scripts in a tedious combat system? Hah! Casuals! Real players click the mouse-button until their wrists go numb. And then they continue doing it. Because this, my friends, is serious business.

^ The only AI help I need is "use basic action unless told otherwise" and "attack nearest unless told otherwise", and those are mostly for trash mobs I can easily plough through. Why would I want the game to play itself?

• Like 7

Nothing gold can stay.

^ The only AI help I need is "use basic action unless told otherwise" and "attack nearest unless told otherwise", and those are mostly for trash mobs I can easily plough through. Why would I want the game to play itself?

But then you can sit down with some popcorn and watch it unfold before you - almost as exciting as videos on FB!  o:)

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

And the combat doesn't even have scripts to help you avoid the tedium of clicking in every single command

Ahh... Why do you care how i want to play game ?