bad design decisions

ctn2003

I think the "can't change weapons in combat except for quickslots" thing is made to look like a bigger problem than it actually is. Remember that we have Josh Nohardcounters Sawyer at the helm, so the chance of encountering a pack of clay golems, only susceptible to that flaming hammer you carelessly threw in your inventory, is pretty close to nill. Special weapons can help you, but they won't make or break a battle.

• Like 2

Nothing gold can stay.

If it was only that...

1. No running away from combat (not talking about engagement)

I agree with this one. I don't like this either. If the developers don't accommodate us with this, it can be modded out.

2. Infinite stash available everywhere

This is an option. I prefer it to be enabled everywhere because it makes the inventory less annoying, and since you can craft/enchant anywhere as well.

3. You cannot change weapons from inventory during combat (or give it to other characters)

You can in the IE mod original.gif

4. Lack of ammo and as result lack of all kinds of cool magical ammo

I agree about this one. Different kinds of ammo, and special ammo would have been cool. Not super upset about it though.

5. Combat log in terrible position (or lack of being able to place it where we want it)

Agree about this one.

6. Camera angle not good enough

I too would prefer a higher isometric angle for outside as well as inside, it would also be much more practical.

7. No walking state, only running.

Yeah I think walking would have been better. In future expansions etc they could have a combat movement animation or something. Probably expensive to make though.

My pet peeve:

8. Elder name given to animals to present them as stronger when older animals are only weaker. Elder is name give to MAGICAL creatures that become stronger with age like Vampires or Dragons. Lion when old become weak and lose pack leader status (if they even had it, most just become old).

Kind of agree about this one, but you can simply edit the string file yourself and change it to whatever you want.

This isn't a super constructive thread but I might have some more points to add later when I have some more energy.

Acouly a lot of peaple have said the game should have been turn based. it whould have fixed a lot of things - but this is a IE game (kinda) but i just kinda wish some of the things like this waset in the game - no running from combat?? thats like 90% of bulders gate 1 RUN FROM THE WOLFS

Should Poe be delayed again? seems like this game was beanafit GREATLY from 1 more long delay- i undersatnd money and stuff like that but if they had more time they scould fix some of the od ball things in the game like the path finding thats still needs work or even the WEIRD ASS stealth system

and theirs no arrows!post-85918-0-36470100-1421703908_thumb.png  lol a mean ammo

Eric Arrow the Raindeer :p

Edited by ctn2003
  • Like 4

@Osvir 3. is actually impossible. There is no way to exit the map if you are "in combat." Stun, knockdown, hobble etc. do not end the combat state even if you manage to break engagement.

4. A limited stash would be worse. It means that for a long time you're happily playing with no inventory Tetris, then boom, you're faced with a marathon of it at once. Cf. Fallout 2's car trunk.

5. You can change weapons in combat, but only between your two (or three) weapon sets.

6. I don't think there are one-handed guns anymore. Sadly pirate pistols are a thing of the past. And yes, special ammo would need a UI feature to use it.

13. There aren't any AI UI helpers to speak of (and a good thing too). Characters just use their basic attack if not instructed to do otherwise.

WHAT they got rid of the pistels?? thats kinda weird i mean a lot of backers really injoyed them.

To my mind not having access to inventory in battle except quickslots is the one thing that makes the unlimited inventory acceptable for convenience - that yes you may carry the world around with you but you still must make tactical decisions on what weapons, armor, and quick slot items you will have instant access to in the next battle.

If people want to use this as a reason to savescum so be it I have no issues with the way others choose to play - I think it's a reasonable restriction considering your unlimited inventory is just a reload away as opposed to being in a barrel in front of the Elf Song halfway across the city.

• Like 7

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Though, I think it'd be better for Pillars of Eternity if Obsidian and Bester worked together with this, and integrated the "Draggable UI" into the Vanilla game (or through an Official Patch).

Obsidian actually asked Bester for the sources for his mod so they could integrate it into the game, but they didn't want it for any of the options he added to the game, I think they wanted it for the GameObject Viewer that he made.

We will know in the next patch whether they used anything or not, but it looks like they didn't implement any of the options, judging by the stream.

That kinda pisses me off, because some of those options are so insanely reasonable they should be in the game already, such as the "NPC circles are cyan" and "only flash **** if you're preparing to AoE". The modular UI is just gravy. I can understand why they wouldn't offer up "Disengagement be gone", but most of the rest should already be in the bloody game.

Bester's doing the lord's work.

• Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

I respond rarely because someone always seems to say what I think.  In this case I agree almost completely with the original poster.  That said, I find the state of the beta to be... depressing.

I found myself depressing many a button when last I played it. 8P

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm just gona say It. Josh shouldnt be the director of this project If Tim was on the lead game would release maybe next year but with hell of more stuff in It.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I'm just gona say It. Josh shouldnt be the director of this project If Tim was on the lead game would release maybe next year but with hell of more stuff in It.

So you're saying Tim would donate a couple mil of his own money to extend the development by a year, but only if he was the project director?

Pretty weird thing to say ruzen

• Like 5

Ugh, not be the bearer of bad new, but I think that the expansion budget funded this extended development time (original release date was December). So pray PoE makes some quick cash on release.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Ugh, not be the bearer of bad new, but I think that the expansion budget funded this extended development time (original release date was December). So pray PoE makes some quick cash on release.

There is no doubt PoE will earn good money. Probably more than D:OS is the game is half decent.

The only problem they might be facing if part of backers bad mouth it all over the internet if it is only half decent.

Edited by archangel979

Well, If they didn't have a reason, they wouldn't badmouth it ;d 

The internet is a friendly place full of ponies and sane, well-mannered people, who think twice before badmouthing something based on personal preferences or backer/buyer entitlement.

• Like 8

Nothing gold can stay.

And there is, as always, a difference between posting constructive criticism or posting one thread in which you explain why you're unhappy, and slinging crap with every post you make. You can make a point that you're unhappy with a product without stinking an entire forum up. Especially the developer's own forums. There are plenty of forums more appropiate to just venting your crap out.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The only problem them might be facing if part of backers bad mouth it all over the internet if it is only half decent.

That was your plan, though, wasn't it?

Well I still have not given up on it. And if it is only half decent, only few places will hear it from me. I don't have an agenda.

Also, I will give OE until expansion to show us their true quality before going all (BG) fan rage :D

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

For me, If it's gonna be at least as good as Wasteland 2, it will be a huge succes. At first I criticized Wasteland2, but man got to play game like this to know it's true value, and I think same will be with PoE. Wasteland 2 true strenght was it's plot, and maybe heres the same deal. Just 2 months more and we will see it all.

Edited by Gladiuss8@gmail.com
  • Like 1

Well, If they didn't have a reason, they wouldn't badmouth it ;d Many people played the first beta and lost hope. So I doubt if it will be as succesful as D:OS, but lets hope so, sti

I said this in another thread; there were over 8,000 Beta keys handed out to backers, of those, there seem to be 30 to 40 backers who are extremely unhappy with the beta due to issues of gameplay & mechanics (as opposed to general playability).  

While I think there are many of us who are unhappy with one or more aspects of the game's design (myself included), I feel the overall sense is that PoE is shaping up to be a potentially great game.  I think it's easy to lose perspective in the echo chamber that the Beta forum seems to have become.   

• Like 7

Well, If they didn't have a reason, they wouldn't badmouth it ;d Many people played the first beta and lost hope. So I doubt if it will be as succesful as D:OS, but lets hope so, sti

I said this in another thread; there were over 8,000 Beta keys handed out to backers, of those, there seem to be 30 to 40 backers who are extremely unhappy with the beta due to issues of gameplay & mechanics (as opposed to general playability).  

While I think there are many of us who are unhappy with one or more aspects of the game's design (myself included), I feel the overall sense is that PoE is shaping up to be a potentially great game.  I think it's easy to lose perspective in the echo chamber that the Beta forum seems to have become.

This would be true only if all 8000 beta key holders posted their thoughts on forums. But they don't. More likely only around 10% of them post it like it is normal for all game forums. Edited by archangel979

^ People also tend to post more when they are unhappy.  If you have nothing major to complain about, why bother posting minor quibbles?  Not saying that is entirely the case, but I think if there was any real deal-breakers design wise, the Obsidian folks would be aware of it (them).  This is just one of several forums that Obs folks follow. 

Also, one thing I think gets lost in the discussions in this forum is that beta is hyper-focused on mechanics in a fairly stripped-down setting.  The full game, as we saw in Josh Sawyer's recent playthrough, is going to be much richer in it's elements.  Many of these things, like crafting, the stronghold, quest items, etc. will have a significant effect on gameplay.

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 3