bad design decisions

ctn2003

Inability to change weapons during combat will only lead to meta gaming and save scumming. People will just reload an encounter and switch to gear they need.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Inability to change weapons during combat will only lead to meta gaming and save scumming. People will just reload an encounter and switch to gear they need.

I haven't played PoE since beta v1.0, have quick slots been removed? With up to four quick slots it seems every possible eventuality can be accounted for; one set for slashing weapon, one for crushing, one for piercing and one for....?

I think that's less likely than metagaming with grimoire spell selection. Weapon focus and specialization (for fighters) is extremely beneficial, which means each character will have a restricted pool of weapons to choose from. I think it's more likely that each character will pick the best weapons that fit their feats and use those. Smart players will give different characters different foci so someone can use anything, and then switch combat roles around if, say, something really really needs to be hit with a mace rather than a saber.

Edit: @Gfted1 There are two weapon slots by default. Additionally one of the aumaua subraces has "Armed to the teeth" as a perk which gives a third one. You can also take an extra weapon slot on levelup as a feat.

Edit edit: I can think of one good use for the third slot: gun in one, melee in one, other ranged in one. Unless they've changed the reload times again, guns are only good for one volley (but VERY good for that), so it would be useful to have something as a third slot.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I haven't played PoE since beta v1.0, have quick slots been removed? With up to four quick slots it seems every possible eventuality can be accounted for; one set for slashing weapon, one for crushing, one for piercing and one for....?

The weapon quick slots are still there, everyone start with two of them and you can increase that number via talents...it also work in the last beta.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

+up to 6 characters.

+up to 6 characters.

Plus many weapons deal two different types of damage using the "best" option between the two for what you are currently fighting - you don't even have to make the decision of which to use. 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Oops edited for clarification, mea culpa.

Ctn2003:

1. No ambient or movie sound sliders.

2. Unable to drop items upon the ground.

Archangel979:

3. Fleeing combat impossible (unrelated to engagement.)

4. Infinite stash available everywhere, and yet the character models do not have a backpack or even a bag in which to hold anything.

5. Unable to change weapons from inventory during combat, or trade with companions.

6. Lack of ammunition, and thus no unique and enchanted examples.

7. Position of combat log may be disliked.

8. Camera angle may be disliked.

9. No walking animation, only able to run.

10. Elder name does not necessarily denote potency.

Luckmann:

11. Combat only abilities, preventing potent ambushing and initiation of combat.

12. No individual stealth options, stealth automatically dismissed at the initiation of combat.

Archangel979:

13. Turning off UI helpers, you have no idea what your characters are doing.

Gfted1:

14. No healing capabilities, other than minor ones such as Field Triage.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

LoL, if it's that great in the BB, why pose any restrictions then?

In your world, is there anything between "no restrictions at all" and "restrictions that are so strict everyone will just save-scum around them?"

'Cuz in mine, the two to three weapon slots sit somewhere between those two.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The weapon quick slots are still there, everyone start with two of them and you can increase that number via talents...it also work in the last beta.
Dear god, like I am in one those comic book opposite realms. Not only the limit is here but they add talents to make it even worse?!

Now lets waste talent slots on this bad design lol

Now the only question is if they put in talents because of bad design or made bad design so they have more "different" talents to put...

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

In your world, is there anything between "no restrictions at all" and "restrictions that are so strict everyone will just save-scum around them?"

'Cuz in mine, the two to three weapon slots sit somewhere between those two.

But that's not how you guys described a few post above, I mean we have 6 characters, weapons with 2 types of damage and there won't be that many weapons to chose from (which is terrible in and of it self). So why then do we even need to restrict anything, why waste time on it?

It's much more realistic for the enemies to patiently wait for the player while he rummages through all his baggage in search of that +3 Rapier of Poison in the middle of a deadly battle.

Oh and the infinite stash is oh so realistic, please... Are we really going to talk about realism in high fantasy game?

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

It's much more realistic for the enemies to patiently wait for the player while he rummages through all his baggage in search of that +3 Rapier of Poison in the middle of a deadly battle.

Oh and the infinite stash is oh so realistic, please... Are we really going to talk about realism in high fantasy game?

I thought you didn't like the stash because it's not realistic? Contradictory much?

Anyway, the point of the weapon sets is to make the player put some thought into battle preparations. Unless you're one of those players that rested after every battle in the Infinity Engine games, you're gonna have to explain how this is a bad thing.

• Like 1

I thought you didn't like the stash because it's not realistic? Contradictory much?

Anyway, the point of the weapon sets is to make the player put some thought into battle preparations. Unless you're one of those players that rested after every battle in the Infinity Engine games, you're gonna have to explain how this is a bad thing.

Oh? Care to point out where I said that? I'll wait.

The only thought that he is going to put in to battle preparations is if he needs to reload the encounter or not. As I said, it restricts nothing just encourages metagaming and save scumming. (not that I'm against either of those things)

Oh? Care to point out where I said that? I'll wait.

The only thought that he is going to put in to battle preparations is if he needs to reload the encounter or not. As I said, it restricts nothing just encourages metagaming and save scumming. (not that I'm against either of those things)

Did you  save scum if you didn't prepare the optimal spells in the Infinity Engine games?

Did you  save scum if you didn't prepare the optimal spells in the Infinity Engine games?

I saved scummed, period, in the IE games. I do so in most games.

Though, I think it'd be better for Pillars of Eternity if Obsidian and Bester worked together with this, and integrated the "Draggable UI" into the Vanilla game (or through an Official Patch).

Obsidian actually asked Bester for the sources for his mod so they could integrate it into the game, but they didn't want it for any of the options he added to the game, I think they wanted it for the GameObject Viewer that he made.

We will know in the next patch whether they used anything or not, but it looks like they didn't implement any of the options, judging by the stream.

• Like 1

We will know in the next patch whether they used anything or not, but it looks like they didn't implement any of the options, judging by the stream.

Why would they? What changed?

Realism is VERY important thing in high fantasy novels, games etc. Nobody would read such books if it didn't feel real, for example, if warriors could throw their sword through 30 orcs in a row, or gandalf could just cast ****ing fireball and kill all orcs in the battle for the two towers...

Don't give me such bull**** like "Are we really going to talk about realism in high fantasy game?".

But in this context, I think that switching weapons during a fight wouldn't be an unforgiveable, "unrealistic" thing... 

Edited by Gladiuss8@gmail.com

Realism is VERY important thing in high fantasy novels, games etc. Nobody would read such books if it didn't feel real, for example, if warriors could throw their sword through 30 orcs in a row, or gandalf could just cast ****ing fireball and kill all orcs in the battle for the two towers...

Don't give me such bull**** like "Are we really going to talk about realism in high fantasy game?".

LOL...

(FYI, you just buried your whole argument with your own statement)

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

If it was only that...

1. No running away from combat (not talking about engagement)

2. Infinite stash available everywhere

3. You cannot change weapons from inventory during combat (or give it to other characters)

4. Lack of ammo and as result lack of all kinds of cool magical ammo

5. Combat log in terrible position (or lack of being able to place it where we want it)

6. Camera angle not good enough

7. No walking state, only running.

My pet peeve:

8. Elder name given to animals to present them as stronger when older animals are only weaker. Elder is name give to MAGICAL creatures that become stronger with age like Vampires or Dragons. Lion when old become weak and lose pack leader status (if they even had it, most just become old).

I agree with all these except arguably 3, but above all else, you missed the single most annoying ****ty goddamn ****ing hnnnrrrgh thing:

9. "Combat Only" abilities preventing initiation of combat with a power.

Also, I'd like to add:

10. No individual stealthing and everyone unstealths automatically at the start of combat, preventing any tactical use of stealth, as well as initiating combat with individual characters. Imagine having multiple rogues that all want to initiate combat with stealth, but at different times.

YESSS why is it tat ALL peaple start stealth ?? even TOEE had a better stealth system than this lol witch is weird becase TOEE was a REALLY poorly made game

• Like 1

Ctn2003:

Archangel979:

3. Fleeing combat impossible.

4. Infinite stash available everywhere, and yet the character models do not have a backpack or even a bag in which to hold anything.

5. Unable to change weapons during combat.

6. Lack of ammunition, and thus unique and enchanted examples.

Luckmann:

11. Combat only abilities, preventing potent ambushing and initiation of combat.

12. No individual stealth options, stealth automatically dismissed at the initiation of combat.

Archangel979:

Edit: Thought it might be helpful to gather up the major points in a full list, perhaps someone could do so on every second page or so when new points are added?

Yes good idea just list them - but i have a feeling this game whould benafit greatly from 1 more long delay.

Ctn2003:

Archangel979:

3. Fleeing combat impossible.

4. Infinite stash available everywhere, and yet the character models do not have a backpack or even a bag in which to hold anything.

5. Unable to change weapons during combat.

6. Lack of ammunition, and thus unique and enchanted examples.

Luckmann:

Archangel979:

Edit: Thought it might be helpful to gather up the major points in a full list, perhaps someone could do so on every second page or so when new points are added?

Yes good idea just list them - but i have a feeling this game whould benafit greatly from 1 more long delay.

There will be one. But it will be a paying one while we wait for Expansion to fix stuff :D