Was dynamic weather a thing?

I can't recall if this was actually mentioned anywhere, but was there ever mention of dynamic weather? Like how rain could start up in Baldur's Gate. I just loved the atmosphere that created?

I know some areas have weather but does it change?

EDIT: Wow, just noticed I basically asked the same question back in April last year. No straight answer then though...

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah, mainly wondering if there's a chance of rain in certain areas or if it's always set for that area. Gilded Vale was in both the recent stream with Josh and the previous one with Jessie Cox and it was raining in both of them. So I'm kinda worried that each zone has "set" weather. Each time I went to Stormwall Gorge in the backer beta, it has been raining ever since that was "introduced".

And now that I look closer at the recent stream, there is actually an effect of rain pouring down from the roofs on the houses. 

I'm not opposed to some areas having set weather depending on what the mood and such is, but that rain starting up in BG has always been one of those huge nostalgia moments for me. Would've loved to see it again.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Inquisition has weather, but if it's raining somewhere, it's just raining there forever. The weather is eternal in Thedas, apparently. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yea it will have weather it's demonstrated in the trailer.  The same scene as this will blow your mind scene only the characters are running over the pass in the rain.

I am sure they will have storms and everything in this game.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that scene was specially scripted for the trailer. We do have weather in the game, but nothing like rain storms that will appear and disappear in an area. It would be cool to something like that for the future, though.

• Like 3

Yea it will have weather it's demonstrated in the trailer.  The same scene as this will blow your mind scene only the characters are running over the pass in the rain.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that scene was specially scripted for the trailer. We do have weather in the game, but nothing like rain storms that will appear and disappear in an area. It would be cool to something like that for the future, though.

Damn, I really appreciate that you keep us in the loop and come here to clarify stuff like this, but.. damn, I can't help but to think that that bubble shouldn't have existed to begin with. Why create trailers that showcases material that won't actually be in the game? Who thought it was a good idea to specifically script something for the trailer?

Things like that is usually thought of as EA-level marketing douchery. It creates not just high expectations, but false expectations, and it's incredibly disingenuous to not just try to portray the game in it's best light (which is to be expected) but in a light that doesn't even exist, by going into it and literally scripting something that didn't previously exist nor is intended to be kept.

t50aJUd.jpg

what?!??!  That must have been something that you couldn't figure out in Unity.  Of course that would be cool to have in a game!

Damn you guys better make a list for your second game.  Huge List.

Why don't you just implement random rain? That worked in the IE games for exteriors.

Travelling in the rain was a big part of BG1. So a random chance to rain on the Wilderness Areas would be good.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Why don't you just implement random rain? That worked in the IE games for exteriors.

Travelling in the rain was a big part of BG1. So a random chance to rain on the Wilderness Areas would be good.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. If the rain isn't baked into the environment, then it shouldn't be too crazy just to have it sometimes rain, and sometimes stop raining/not-be-raining in any given area. I know it's not the utmost priority or anything, but something that simple (just "sometimes it rains") would be a lot of bang for your buck, methinks.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u