Number of portraits?

Hi,

Just wondering how many portraits are currently available to choose from? I remember being a little disappointed with Wasteland 2s selection.

For example, if I want to play something specific like a female fire godlike, how many choices would I have? Or would I have to go dig up custom portraits?

Not sure how many portraits are currently available. In the last update post BAdler answered some questions about portraits; there was a question whether they're aiming for a minimum of portraits per race & sex combination, but it wasn't answered.

From what I've seen of the backer beta, I get the impression there are already more options than in W2.

Fnord.

Portraits don't worry me too much. They'll add more as we get closer to release. And even then, modders will upload a bunch of portrait packs for the game anyway.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hi,

Just wondering how many portraits are currently available to choose from? I remember being a little disappointed with Wasteland 2s selection.

For example, if I want to play something specific like a female fire godlike, how many choices would I have? Or would I have to go dig up custom portraits?

Currently? As of v392, 40 Portraits total.

Specifically, as a Female Fire Godlike, 1.

Yeah, I really hope they take the time to make a whole bunch of extra portraits. There should ideally be at least three per sub-race per gender (so 18 human portraits, 24 Godlike portaits, etc).

Portraits don't worry me too much. They'll add more as we get closer to release. And even then, modders will upload a bunch of portrait packs for the game anyway.

The problem with portraits like that is that they almost never fit the style of the game. Even almost 15 years later, I can't find a single good custom portrait pack for Baldur's Gate II that fits the Baldur's Gate II style. The same goes for Baldur's Gate - I'd still be willing to kill for the Baldur's Gate II NPC:s in Baldur's Gate's style. Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 6

t50aJUd.jpg

The problem with portraits like that is that they almost never fit the style of the game. Even almost 15 years later, I can't find a single good custom portrait pack for Baldur's Gate II that fits the Baldur's Gate II style. The same goes for Baldur's Gate - I'd still be willing to kill for the Baldur's Gate II NPC:s in Baldur's Gate's style.

This x1000.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hi,

Currently? As of v392, 40 Portraits total.

Specifically, as a Female Fire Godlike, 1.

Yeah, I really hope they take the time to make a whole bunch of extra portraits. There should ideally be at least three per sub-race per gender (so 18 human portraits, 24 Godlike portaits, etc).

The problem with portraits like that is that they almost never fit the style of the game. Even almost 15 years later, I can't find a single good custom portrait pack for Baldur's Gate II that fits the Baldur's Gate II style. The same goes for Baldur's Gate - I'd still be willing to kill for the Baldur's Gate II NPC:s in Baldur's Gate's style.

Another problem is that for races like orlans or Aumauas you would be hard pressed to find appropriate portraits, unless some friendly artist decides to make more portraits. 

I personally am holding out right now for hooded portraits that BAdler promised. A fitting portrait for my orlan rogue seems to be too much ask for, apparently...

• Like 1

Perhaps it's actually a good thing that the portraits don't have a uniform style. Portrait packs won't stand out so much, in a bad way.

Except that with only 8 NPC:s, you can be pretty damn sure that the style will be pretty uniform. And I hope it really is. It's not 100% uniform at the moment, but they all clearly adhere to a specific style, which is pretty much a necessity for the game to feel professional.

t50aJUd.jpg

Quoted for Truth. The problem is even more exacerbated in BG1. Heck, not even the new companions from BG:EE have in-style portraits! I've been on the lookout for good female portraits for years, and found only one portrait that barely qualifies as "in-style". Namely, this one:

N7vChg5.png

That being said, PoE seems to have much less distinctive style, which makes it significantly easier to find potential portraits online. I approve. Of course, the more in-game portraits, the less need to search for them on-line. There should be at least 3 per Subrace/Gender/Culture. Class portraits are less important, since in PoE all classes can use all armors and weapons.

If all else fails, I've got this one in reserve for the first character I plan to play (Human Priestess):

LJHPNOO.png

Edited by Magnificate
  • Like 1

Portraits are never enough. That's why a nice option to put a screenshot of our avatar's face would be nice (I mean without having to press print screen, minimize, open a photo editor blah blah blah). InXile new that and put the option in Wasteland 2.

Portraits + Avatar screenie + custom imported picture = win win win.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

Large quantities of painted portraits are/were going to be very difficult in PoE, as many of their demihuman races are very phenotypically distinctive. This is just something we'll have to overlook in the meantime. As for Baldur's Gate portaits, I use the Paint BG mod. It has a wide variety of excellent characterizations, and even provides portraits for NPCs--including some mod NPCs. Here's an overview of what it offers.

paintbg_v2_by_artastrophe-d6rp94z.jpg

I really wish the portraits were way more uniform though T-T so much could've been made.

Here's an attempt I made at taking some clothes from one Portrait and putting on another portrait. If it only had been uniform T-T Doom-guy or Wolfenstein-dude damage/armor/equipment/status-effects could all have been universal/global on top of all the portraits....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esnrr55njm9wd1l/male_human_h_lg.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rnfxuvg2l1w30y/male_human_h_sm.png?dl=0

Crowdsourcing a "community portrait pack" for P:E ought to be pretty simple, especially as the portraits don't have a single distinctive style. There's plenty of CC licensed art to be found, and I'm sure there are plenty of artists in the fan community as well.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Large quantities of painted portraits are/were going to be very difficult in PoE, as many of their demihuman races are very phenotypically distinctive. This is just something we'll have to overlook in the meantime. As for Baldur's Gate portaits, I use the Paint BG mod. It has a wide variety of excellent characterizations, and even provides portraits for NPCs--including some mod NPCs. Here's an overview of what it offers.

paintbg_v2_by_artastrophe-d6rp94z.jpg

I'm using that too, specifically because it changes all the NPC:s and all the portraits in the entire game while adhering to a specific style. The style, imo, doesn't really matter, as long as it's uniform. As long as it's the same and professional, it's all good to me, so I actually end up using PaintBG. It greatly expands upon available options, even if it's not my favourite art  style, it's way better than the alternatives.

Changing portrait style between BG1 and BG2 was always a bad idea. Keeping the BG1 portraits instead of making new BG2 portraits was an even worse one.

t50aJUd.jpg

Portraits are never enough. That's why a nice option to put a screenshot of our avatar's face would be nice (I mean without having to press print screen, minimize, open a photo editor blah blah blah). InXile new that and put the option in Wasteland 2.

Portraits + Avatar screenie + custom imported picture = win win win.

Because, yes, that wouldn't look bad AT ALL....

317120_2014_08_19_0009rj37.png

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeerfect, not?

[/sarcasm]

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

:lol: I was actually thinking the same thing, but I couldn't be arsed to bring it up. The Wasteland 2 "solution" was actually terrible, doubly so because all of the CNPC:s (which vastly outnumber the ones available in PoE, by the way) actually have proper portraits. It gives a very unprofessional, mod-like feel to it, like something cobbled together, makeshift.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's gonna be plenty of "custom" portraits... It is a simple process to (for instance) add the IWD portraits to PoE. And it has been done the other way around too :)

It would be nice if Obsidian had the time to add more... But they are already working so hard, though ...

UFWDJRj.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's gonna be plenty of "custom" portraits... It is a simple process to (for instance) add the IWD portraits to PoE. And it has been done the other way around too original.gif

It would be nice if Obsidian had the time to add more... But they are already working so hard, though ...

It's almost as if that's what I said already on pg. 1.

True - well there are things much more important than portraits - so i prefer that they improve other aspects of the game, rather than "waste" time at portraits xP

Different people do different things. The one painting the portraits is certainly not the same person programming abilities. I find it doubtful if it's even the same person doing portraits that have been doing areas, but either way, there really shouldn't be any new areas being added by now anyway.

Hopefully the portrait painters are doing nothing but churning out portraits by now. Worst thing that can happen is that they're moved to another project or have their duties reassigned.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

The ideal would be: (number of classes (11) * number of sexes (2) * number of races (each of godlike subrace as a separate race) (9)) = 198 pictures. Well - small chances for that to happen, thats why i'm counting on wonderful modders society ;)

Still 158 to go ... a few patches + expansion? Mmh, Kaz? ;):p

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The ideal would be: (number of classes (11) * number of sexes (2) * number of races (each of godlike subrace as a separate race) (9)) = 198 pictures. Well - small chances for that to happen, thats why i'm counting on wonderful modders society wink.png

I wouldn't just count the Godlike subraces as seperate. You really should count all of the subraces as seperate, because they all have wildly different phenotypes.

So I'm counting Classes (11) * Genders (2) * All Subraces (15) for a total of 330 portraits.

I realize that's unrealistic before release, but it is the ideal I think they should strive for. One of the devs said that they're going to try to make a series of hooded/helmeted portraits too, because those can be used for several different races at once.

t50aJUd.jpg