I Quit

ctn2003

Well over the last few weeks i have dicited to leave gaming i got tired of DRM (GTA5) and tired of crappy ports of pc games on steam 90% of them and being ripped off at every turn.  And ive always wanderd if i am one of the Very very few who have quite gaming becase of this seems like modern gamers love being F'd in the ass by this type of stuff.  I guess if your a modern gamer and you play what comes out your good (mostly) but as for a old school gamer like me its become a living hell trying to get games to work without mods (dont work 90% of the time)    - i guess im alone :/

Your first mistake is you're playing games on Steam. A platform that has a number of issues, DRM and modding being just two of them. And yes, it's a platform with lots of people who don't see the problems you do so you might feel alone if that's where you're mostly hanging out (most that perceive the problem are not playing games on Steam). But no, you are not even remotely alone as lots of people have stopped buying most modern games. There's a neverending supply of young people though that come up and buy them however, so the game companies aren't missing those that quit too much. Most game companies are too stupid to realize the largely untapped market of gamers who have pretty much given up on most modern games out there. The Project Eternity kickstarter tapped into a part of it.

But anyways.. if you quit. Go for it. Video games aren't exactly the best use of one's time most of the time. We all could usually be doing something more productive with our lives than playing video games.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 3

Well over the last few weeks i have dicited to leave gaming i got tired of DRM (GTA5) and tired of crappy ports of pc games on steam 90% of them and being ripped off at every turn.  And ive always wanderd if i am one of the Very very few who have quite gaming becase of this seems like modern gamers love being F'd in the ass by this type of stuff.  I guess if your a modern gamer and you play what comes out your good (mostly) but as for a old school gamer like me its become a living hell trying to get games to work without mods (dont work 90% of the time)    - i guess im alone :/

Your view is not uncommon, many people get frustrated

But what games can't you get working?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Your first mistake is you're playing games on Steam. A platform that has a number of issues, DRM and modding being just two of them. And yes, it's a platform with lots of people who don't see the problems you do so you might feel alone if that's where you're mostly hanging out (most that perceive the problem are not playing games on Steam). But no, you are not even remotely alone as lots of people have stopped buying most modern games. There's a neverending supply of young people though that come up and buy them however, so the game companies aren't missing those that quit too much. Most game companies are too stupid to realize the largely untapped market of gamers who have pretty much given up on most modern games out there. The Project Eternity kickstarter tapped into a part of it.

But anyways.. if you quit. Go for it. Video games aren't exactly the best use of one's time most of the time. We all could usually be doing something more productive with our lives than playing video games.

But if he is using Steam then his games would be working? He is saying his games aren't working?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But if he is using Steam then his games would be working? He is saying his games aren't working?

Well, I assumed he meant how a great many games come out full of bugs these days or with serious fundamental design flaws and are really only good (in many people's eyes anyways) after they are modded (if they are ever even good; but modders try). Some games on Steam are very hard to mod or hard to get a mod to work on (ie: most people I know who played Civ4 (I used to play a lot of Civ4 MP) could never get mods to work with that game if it was installed as a Steam game).

Edited by Valsuelm

Well, I assumed he meant how a great many games come out full of bugs these days or with serious fundamental design flaws and are really only good (in many people's eyes anyways) after they are modded (if they are ever even good; but modders try). Some games on Steam are very hard to mod or hard to get a mod to work on (ie: most people I know who played Civ4 (I used to play a lot of Civ4 MP) could never get mods to work with that game if it was installed as a Steam game).

You probably right but we do need more information about his issue because games do work on Steam and obviously Mods enhance functionality but they aren't  necessary? 

John Milton 

I may use Steam these days, but I don't spend much on big titles. I tend to go for the indies most of the time because that's where games that suit me tend to be now. 95% of "AAA" games made today I wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole. Just not my thing at all.

The past few years I've probably spent 3-5 month stretches where I didn't play anything at all. Something always sucks me back in a bit at some point tho, so far. Anyway....yeah. Try some older games or indies from GoG if you've a mind. No Steam required there. At least from them you can usually get old faves running on the newer O/S without any hassle, and at least play those for some sessions once in a while. Sometimes that's enough. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I quit, too. Cigarettes. 112 days ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. 

Not having that many games to play has been sort of a blessing, I've been able to focus on my work and I've improved a lot. It has also allowed me to play some old gems that have passed me by or were before my time.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think it's best.  If your hobby, and that's all gaming really is, is frustrating you, then find a better use of your free time.  You will be happier and open up new realms of possibility.

• Like 1

Yes, it's good to step away for a few months and get some perspective. None of that stuff is important; not in the slightest. It's just a hobby, and there are other hobbies.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That sounds like console peasant talk and not something Glorious PC Master Race would say, but haven't put on your PSN or Xbox gamer tags. You should wear you console tags so no one would mix you with Glorious PC Master Race.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

What a waste of a spam thread.

Not up to your  normal  high standards of posting hey Volo  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Sounds like quitting enjoying football because you're annoyed at the NFL.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sounds like quitting enjoying football because you're annoyed at the NFL.

Or quitting listening to music cause you don't like rap.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Take up fencing.

Fencing is awesome.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Bah, I quit playing computer games years ago. And many times since. For some reason I keep coming back.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, I quit reading books. Bad for the eyes and they tend to corrupt minds with insurgent ideas and are a waste of perfectly good trees.

Television is where it's at.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I wish I had *more* time to game. Generally I'm either tending to my career, family, or frankly out living life and doing things. That's not a complaint per say, it's just that there are games out there I would really like to have more time to play. Even with ignoring everything console, almost everything AAA, and much of the indie shovel-ware, 2012 was the dawn of a gaming renaissance that I just don't have the hours for. It's a good problem to have.