15/1/14 Stream Impressions and Feedback

It's 1080p before UI upscaling begins to occur I think.

Ouch. Bad bad bad. I bought a 2560x1440 screen because they said during the kickstarter that it would be the native resolution of all of PoE's art assets. Lowering that resolution = bad move. I'd hate to be stuck with a zoomed-out blurry scaled view after tailoring my purchase for this game.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's 1080p before UI upscaling begins to occur I think.

Ouch. Bad bad bad. I bought a 2560x1440 screen because they said during the kickstarter that it would be the native resolution of all of PoE's art assets. Lowering that resolution = bad move. I'd hate to be stuck with a zoomed-out blurry scaled view after tailoring my purchase for this game.

Hopefully we can get a definite answer to this, I plan to DSR to the native res if it's higher than 1080. But, going by Sensuki's comment, looks like I'll be sticking at 1080.

Hopefully a dev will chime in and confirm the max resolution past which scaling occurs? I'd be massively disappointed if it was indeed 1080p :(

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Unfortunately, my gut is telling me I've heard 1080p mentioned before. I hope it's higher.

I have been playing Serpent in the Staglands beta lately and the combat speed in that game is brilliant. It's quite noticeably slower that PoE but I find myself, because of the speed, actively positioning characters and playing much less with pause activated.

Stolen Senuki screen and edited it, to make text more easy on eyes.

In short, please make background darker, to make highter contrast. Also do it in shop, it is really annoing in normal version.

(despite that UI is really nice)

WIxILWR.jpg?1

pBLWF3x.jpg?1

• Like 10

Me dno't sapek Eisnlgh. Bveleie I.

Wanna hear something funny?

Those light wooden panels with white text on them was the very first thing I reported in as bad and almost unreadable in the earliest beta, and they are still in.

I just can't wrap my head around why.

Voice of Reason: *Pst! It's because you're just a backer, and not a game dev at Obsidian*

A good solution would be to add a burn effect around the letters or just add a black shadow to them.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 4

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Wanna hear something funny?

Those light wooden panels with white text on them was the very first thing I reported in as bad and almost unreadable in the earliest beta, and they are still in.

I just can't wrap my head around why.

Voice of Reason: *Pst! It's because you're just a backer, and not a game dev at Obsidian*

A good solution would be to add a burn effect around the letters or just add a black shadow to them.

Agreed. This would be such a subtle change, yet would potentially solve the whole problem.

Edited by BlueLion

My pet-peeves from watching the entire stream:

1. More ambient sounds to bring the environments to life. Walking through the city in BG2 you would hear merchants off in the distant, and chattering. It really brings the place alive.
  2. Need more random NPC's in the cities. At the moment, they feel empty, even the interiors feel empty and lifeless. 
  3. Combat still seems too fast for me and all party member's animations are in sync which annoys me. It's too samey, they all stand the same, etc. It's super weird. 
  4. Crickets...nuff said. 
  5. Make spell animations better and more clearer? When Josh casted necrotic lance, Aloth shot a purple blob? Is that placeholder??? lol...

Calibrating...

The wood panels for the Stronghold/Shop etc interface need to be a lot less noisy - text looks really bad on them. It's the same in every interface that uses them, been meaning to bring it up for a while. Also not so sure their general color is good for white text either. I have perfect eyesight, but it doesn't look very nice to look at and might be hard to read for some people.

I'll vouch for that. My days of perfect eyesight are long behind me, although I only need glasses for anything close in. But I find the text in that shot is a bit blurry for me. Ultimately, I can read it, but it takes some work.

Is it ironic that the character that looks like Jesus is actually the one that "die" and "come back to life" the most?

That ain't no son of god, it's the devil!!!

At least that's what my eye recognition software told me.  :teehee:

manson1.jpg   Durance-portrait.jpg

Edited by Lychnidos

I really like what I saw on the stream, my main complains are about immersion and already touched by other members of this community:

1) City's feel empty

And by empty I don´t mean the amount of quests or the talk-able npcs, I mean the basic npcs that "live" there,  with 2 or 3 lines of basic shared dialog. I know that placing npcs with special working animations is impossible at this point (like a smith working, one employee with a box, a farmer with his cow or whatever), but even just people standing "hearing" someone talking, chatting in the door of their home, walking to another place of the city, looking at a monument/pond/table etc... would make wonders to the immersion with little resource inversion.

2) Combat could get a little of spice up

While I have heard a couple of screams and some nice hits, more battle cries, and some sound and visual effects to special / critical hits - and deaths- would make it far more interesting. For example I propose a less exaggerated PA like crit  (

).

I agree with pretty much all of that.

They have got to change the color of the background on those and make it darker...it is hard to read.

Stats and some other things don't seem right and combat is still leaving me with a bleh sort of feeling...as much as I want to play this it could be a 3 month wait or heavily modded play-through for me...set up game is set up though?