Companions / Pre order bones

I have a few questions

Can someone explain how companions work in game.  Is it basically an extra helper beyond your party and any summons (assuming there are summons)?  

Is it relatively easy to find companions and the pre-order bonus is just a special one?  Not sure if this can be confirmed.  I like playing summoning characters to get mobs of friends and a companion just sounds like 1 more friend for the party.  I hate to not pre-order to find out I won't get a chance to get a companion for half the game.

Lastly, why s the pre-order companion have such a silly name like Jumbo Shrimp.  I mean Giant Miniature Space Piglet.  Does the Giant cancel out the Miniature to make it a normal sized space piglet?

Ok the last question is kinda a joke but the first few I would love any insight people have.

I have a few questions

Can someone explain how companions work in game.  Is it basically an extra helper beyond your party and any summons (assuming there are summons)?  

Is it relatively easy to find companions and the pre-order bonus is just a special one?  Not sure if this can be confirmed.  I like playing summoning characters to get mobs of friends and a companion just sounds like 1 more friend for the party.  I hate to not pre-order to find out I won't get a chance to get a companion for half the game.

As I understand it, companions are your party—you start off with the main char, and can build a party with either prewritten companions (who will have personalities), or faceless goons you create in the adventurer mart. Or a mix, if you find you only like a few of the premade companions.

Lastly, why s the pre-order companion have such a silly name like Jumbo Shrimp.  I mean Giant Miniature Space Piglet.  Does the Giant cancel out the Miniature to make it a normal sized space piglet?

Ok the last question is kinda a joke but the first few I would love any insight people have.

On the off chance that you're not familiar with it, try playing Baldur's Gate, find the ranger called Minsc, and ask him about Boo.

Fnord.

So I think you are suggesting that the Giant Miniature Space Piglet will be one of your 6 party members???  This is kinda crazy.  I wonder what class/Race etc... it will be.

I just assumed it was some type of add on character / repeatable summons or maybe even an item like a necklace or something (since the other is a ring).

So I think you are suggesting that the Giant Miniature Space Piglet will be one of your 6 party members???  This is kinda crazy.  I wonder what class/Race etc... it will be.

I just assumed it was some type of add on character / repeatable summons or maybe even an item like a necklace or something (since the other is a ring).

The name is just an inside-reference to BG1's Minsc's tiny companion and what the big galoot Minsc believed him to be. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Giant Miniature Space Piglet is a pet, not a companion (also known as a CNPC).

And yes, the Giant and the Miniature cancels eachother out. I think that the joke reference to Minsc's Giant Miniature Space Hamster is lost a bit, because the Giant Miniature Space Piglet looks positively cosmic, while Minsc's hamster was really just.. well.. a hamster.

So the joke is a bit hit/miss.

But still, yeah, not a companion. It's meant to be silly because it is silly.

If it's any consolation

You can also get a regular piglet once you reach Dyrford and do a quest.

Now I just need to get an otter somehow.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Also just to clarify: your pet does not help you out in combat in any way.

Actually, both in the backer beta and in the streams, they can act as meatshields. Not sure if it's a bug though.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The Giant Miniature Space Piglet is a pet, not a companion (also known as a CNPC).

And yes, the Giant and the Miniature cancels eachother out. I think that the joke reference to Minsc's Giant Miniature Space Hamster is lost a bit, because the Giant Miniature Space Piglet looks positively cosmic, while Minsc's hamster was really just.. well.. a hamster.

Wasn't Boo a miniature giant space hamster, not a giant miniature space hamster. While you're right the two cancel each other out, they are still two distinct concepts.

Also, is it really a giant miniature space piglet? So there's (at least theoretically) all sorts of miniature space piglets running around somewhere? :p

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Actually, both in the backer beta and in the streams, they can act as meatshields. Not sure if it's a bug though.

It's a bug. But I wouldn't mind if the bug persisted even till launch.  :p

Like Sonntam said, it's a known bug, and the pet is actually immortal, so it's a pretty serious bug. I think it happens when they can't find anything else to target that they can reach, and then they lock in on the pet.

It should probably be pretty high on the bug list, because there's some very cheesy exploits you could pull with it.

t50aJUd.jpg