OBS: What's up with the different editions and the pricing?

As a $100 backer, it's unacceptable to be stuck with a key for the basic version on GOG.com. I should be entitled to a key for the Royal Edition, which is the closest equivalent to my tier. I hope the powers that be reconsider this.

Some days, I'm so glad I'm not a game developer/publisher. It's a special kind of heavenly hell.

The Royal Edition includes:

Digital Novella by Chris Avellone:

Collector’s Book PDF:

Hi-res Concept Art pieces:

Digital Strategy Guide:

Digital Campaign Almanac:

Making of Documentary:

Digital Hi-res Game Map:

Wallpapers:

Ringtones:

If' you were a $100 backer, you'll receive this:

17eb20be77b20d75f8d1ec6c4d1a8fd9_large.j

It includes EVERYTHING from the Royal Edition (the Digital Fun Pack has the wallpapers, concept art, ringtones, game map), plus three physical objects, a T-shirt, a 'Thank you' postcard,  and a boxed version of the game. And you should know that the physical stuff is what costs the most, the Royal Edition is only digital. Plus you get the 'Cooking with Tim' PDF, which is AMAZING VALUE!!!!!!4444 (Sorry Tim)

(The Making of Documentary was a later addition, and it wasn't listed in the original tiers, but it's available for this tier.)

Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Endrosz
  • Like 10

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

. If I were a backer, I would be angry if the same tier was offered at a lower price down the road.

I wouldn't. The whole idea of backing the project is to get the game made - a game we want to play. The goodies are nice extras, yes (and don't get me wrong, I want them as well), but if you're pledging just for the goodies and/or to get them cheaper than someone who decides to buy the game when it's ready, then IMO you're missing the forest for the trees.

Yes there is no problem for me too. And I would add, I don't want Game Changing kickstarter exclusive that are inaccessable to normal customers too.

I had pledge around $200 in PoE and are entitled to any exclusive ingame items, but I don't want it to be a trend. I don't want some day I am happily playing an awesome game, then my happiness dimished once I found out I will miss out the full experiance of the game because I missed the kickstarter that time. I don't want to crack my head hacking the game for the kickstarter content anymore. :banghead:

Sell that as a director cut edition if you need to, or bundle with your next expension.

Edited by Gnostic

As a $100 backer, it's unacceptable to be stuck with a key for the basic version on GOG.com. I should be entitled to a key for the Royal Edition, which is the closest equivalent to my tier. I hope the powers that be reconsider this.

Why? Download the extras you're entitled to off the backer portal and archive them. What difference does it make if you get the stuff directly from Obsidian or from GOG?

Why? Download the extras you're entitled to off the backer portal and archive them. What difference does it make if you get the stuff directly from Obsidian or from GOG?

I don't personally care, as I can (and will) do as you suggest, but I know other people like to have everything in one place, whether it be Steam, GOG, or whatever. I believe Barry is a very dedicated collector and has a great desire to have a 'complete' collection on GOG or whatever other services he uses.

• Like 4

I want the extras on GOG for the same reason I want the game on GOG. I'm wary of the long-term viability of the backer portal and I'd prefer to have the game with the extras on a site I regularly use. Providing a key for the Royal Edition on GOG to those who qualify costs Obsidian nothing. It's all digital, and GOG generates keys for developers/publishers for free.

Edited by Barry Woodward
  • Like 1

I don't personally care, as I can (and will) do as you suggest, but I know other people like to have everything in one place, whether it be Steam, GOG, or whatever. I believe Barry is a very dedicated collector and has a great desire to have a 'complete' collection on GOG or whatever other services he uses.

You get a complete collection regardless. It makes no sense to upset about this. It's the exact same stuff no matter where you're getting it from.

You get a complete collection regardless. It makes no sense to upset about this. It's the exact same stuff no matter where you're getting it from.

Not sure you understood what I meant, so I bolded the relevant bit. :no:

Actually, while I don't mind, I can imagine at least three different reasons to be unhappy about downloading the basic version from one place and the extra's from elsewhere:

1) "Elsewhere" (the Obsidian store) almost certainly has a shorter life expectancy than the either GoG or Steam.  Even if Obsidian is still around in 5 years, they may not be able to afford (or want to afford) to continue hosting content for a 5 year old game, especially if they turn out to abandon the franchise (for whatever reason)

2) You have to remember two different sets of login information -- one of which you may only use for this single title.

3) At least with Steam, it is possible that some of the content may be disabled or impaired by the patching process.  This only applies to the content that effects the game itself, obviously.

Not a big deal for me, but I'd certainly prefer to have a single source to download all of my content.

• Like 1

Actually, while I don't mind, I can imagine at least three different reasons to be unhappy about downloading the basic version from one place and the extra's from elsewhere:

1) "Elsewhere" (the Obsidian store) almost certainly has a shorter life expectancy than the either GoG or Steam.  Even if Obsidian is still around in 5 years, they may not be able to afford (or want to afford) to continue hosting content for a 5 year old game, especially if they turn out to abandon the franchise (for whatever reason)

2) You have to remember two different sets of login information -- one of which you may only use for this single title.

3) At least with Steam, it is possible that some of the content may be disabled or impaired by the patching process.  This only applies to the content that effects the game itself, obviously.

Not a big deal for me, but I'd certainly prefer to have a single source to download all of my content.

Yes, all of this!

Edited by Barry Woodward

@Ink Blot

I did misunderstand the point you were making.

In fairness, nothing is guaranteed to last regardless of the service. Any of us that have been around the interwebs a bit know this. I'd hope that we all have the presence of mind to save digital extras on a backup somewhere. It's why I still always buy the physical disks whenever I get a game.

That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't make that stuff available on at least GOG. It's already going to be on there from the sounds of it. The only challenge I see is OE's ability to communicate what keys get what with the GOG folk. That could get tricksy.

That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't make that stuff available on at least GOG. It's already going to be on there from the sounds of it. The only challenge I see is OE's ability to communicate what keys get what with the GOG folk. That could get tricksy.

inXile Entertainment provided GOG keys for the digital deluxe edition of Wasteland 2 to higher tiered backers and a basic edition for the lower tiers. It can be done.

Edited by Barry Woodward

Even if the tiers matches it doesn't cover for people who bought extras. It's much easier to give every backers the same copy on GOG/Steam and manage the extra themselves based on what the people entered on this site than let a 3rd party deal with it.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I discussed this with Darren, and we would like to support it (getting all the goodies off of GOG instead of Obsidians portal). There's an ongoing discussion with Paradox, GOG, and Steam with how all of this is going to work (it's actually needlessly complicated - but isn't everything?).  We will let you know when we have more details, and will update when we have more information for you. 

• Like 9

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

This thread is so rich, I'll take it seriously!

a. That statement about the backer portal longevity has no proof behind it. Obsidian as a business entity has been around longer than GoG and exactly as long as Steam (2003), and they have a good reputation as a company (having lots of bugs on release is another matter entirely, I'm talking about consumer trust). It isn't becoming of them to stop supporting a game they released as long as they are in business. You're mixing them up with the big publishers (I still remember MechCommander 2 from Microsoft-owned FASA Interactive, they were ordered to stop supporting the game after it was released, it received no patches).

b. If Obsidian does go out of business, I hope we can agree it won't happen overnight. After you download the stuff from the backer portal, you can burn it to DVD or whatever is your choice of long-term storage. You need not wait 5 years or until anything bad happens, you can do that first thing after downloading if you're so concerned with the backer portal's longevity. In fact, GoG users often do this even without a single thought about GoG going out of business, simply as a convenience or a way to save on network traffic (that's a concern for some).

2. The Royal Edition does not match any of the Kickstarter tiers exactly. Even if silver+ backers get Royal Editions keys, there's still stuff that they need to get from another source, like... "Cooking with Tim"! :) But in more seriousness, I'm referring mostly to extra keys, the Royal Edition only has one key, you need to get the others from somewhere. Consequentially, the backer portal and another login is a necessity to deliver the extras that were promised in the Kickstarter tiers.

3. None of the extra stuff is actual game content, patching won't touch them.*

* Well the 2 extra items are, but you don't need to download them separately.

Edited by Endrosz

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I backed the $250 tier, mainly because I wanted to support and also have the goodies/physical stuff.

I have held out on the Early Access because I would prefer a GOG key, but is there a way to get a digital copy of the GOG bonus tiers? I mean, I like Obsidian and all, but I've already paid a pretty penny.

• Like 1

I discussed this with Darren, and we would like to support it (getting all the goodies off of GOG instead of Obsidians portal). There's an ongoing discussion with Paradox, GOG, and Steam with how all of this is going to work (it's actually needlessly complicated - but isn't everything?).  We will let you know when we have more details, and will update when we have more information for you.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

To be clear, matching the basic tier packages to the proper editions would be sufficient.

It seems reasonable that addons would have to be downloaded from the Backer Portal given the myriad possible combinations a backer might have chosen.

Really, at the very least, tiers $80 & up (if I read the reward summaries correctly) should get the Royal Edition so that you're not slighting your most enthusiastic supporters.

• Like 1

Really, at the very least, tiers $80 & up (if I read the reward summaries correctly) should get the Royal Edition so that you're not slighting your most enthusiastic supporters.

Or anyone that backed at the $50 tier and has added the Digital Strategy Guide seeing as it's the same as the Royal Edition that way IIRC

I backed the $250 tier, mainly because I wanted to support and also have the goodies/physical stuff.

I have held out on the Early Access because I would prefer a GOG key, but is there a way to get a digital copy of the GOG bonus tiers? I mean, I like Obsidian and all, but I've already paid a pretty penny.

GoG tiers etc.  Pretty sure they have already said they are looking into this and tons and tons and tons of other people posted about it already.  They will post if they give a different tier for whatever reason.  I see it as a non issue as Endrosz already mentioned there are things in the tiers not in the champ/royal edition so you will have to download something from Obsidian direct whether you like it or not.

Secondly.... uh I hate to bust your bubble this late but the Backer Beta has nothing to do with keys.  It is steam only simply for easy quick patches, if you are participating in the Backer Beta you got a Backer Beta steam key.  And I do mean Backer Beta.  The actual game is a totally different download and the Backer Beta is not going to be patched into the real game on release unlike with Wasteland 2 for example.  So by choosing to not play the Backer Beta all you did was.... choose not to play the Backer Beta.  You never lost a key by playing it nor did you tie your key to steam if you did.

• Like 2

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. :)

All of the current pre-order versions offer the same digital rewards as the backer tiers, but at a higher price. We want the backers to feel like they got a little discount for helping make all of this possible. If I were a backer, I would be angry if the same tier was offered at a lower price down the road. Point any complainers to the Kickstarter page, and tell them to get in early next time. :)

While I fully understand this reasoning, and do appreciate the consideration, I would rather Obsidian attract as many players as possible using whatever price suits that goal. I look at kickstarter as a modern form of patronage. Patrons know that art is fickle, but support those with reasonable ability to deliver with money they won't miss. Kickstarter is this on a grand scale. I'd rather everyone play the game and let there be market discovery with this style of game than have nose thumbed at it due to price.

if i put my 20$ into this before the kickstarter campaign ended way back when, what version of the game do i get on steam? 

You should get the option for a "Hero" Edition since that is the normal version of the game.