OBS: What's up with the different editions and the pricing?

Who decides the pricing and editions for the game offered on Steam and GOG? Is it solely Paradox or do you guys have some input?

The reason I ask is Steam has the Hero edition (49.99 CDN) and Champion Edition (66.49 CDN).

GOG has three editions: Hero (44.99 USD), Champion (59.99 USD), and Royal (89.99 USD) :blink:

If the reaction on GOG is any indication, there may be something to be concerned about here. Why not a standard edition with the option to have upgrade packages to add extras? People are finding the different editions both confusing and upsetting, mainly because they can't upgrade their pre-orders if they want (the different editions were announced at different times). There is also a lot of negative reaction about the pricing. The most common comments I've seen are either "I'll wait for a steep discount a year or so down the road" or a flat out "Not buying this game at all".

Note that this doesn't make any difference to me personally, as I threw a lot more money at the game than this, but I do think the pricing is a bit over the top, and the I hope this doesn't negatively impact sales of the game.

• Like 2

Are people crying over $5? Or over the fact that Steam and GOG or any other digital retailers don't have to sale games at the same price?

Steam have the Royal edition for 99$ by the way and GOG is always cheaper, for any games.

• Like 4

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Once reason for the high buy price compared to other KS games is likely to re-coup losses for the delay of the game. I expect that's why the game is $45 instead of $40 - consumer delay tax.

Yeah, the price for the standard edition (Hero) I can see. Not really too concerned about that. But the other editions... ouch. Like I said, I'm only going by the comments on the GOG boards, but there seems to be a lot of negative reaction to the pricing (83 Euros for the 'Royal' edition). This kind of pricing is what you see for physical collector's editions, not generally for digital only. I just hope they haven't priced themselves out of more sales and overall profits than they'd gain with lower pricing.

Are people crying over $5? Or over the fact that Steam and GOG or any other digital retailers don't have to sale games at the same price?

Steam have the Royal edition for 99$ by the way and GOG is always cheaper, for any games.

It's not the 5 bucks or even the moderate difference between Steam and GOG (I actually don't think anyone's even brought that up). It's the price of the other editions and the fact that they're digital only. See my comment to Sensuki about the Royal edition pricing.

It's not the 5 bucks or even the moderate difference between Steam and GOG (I actually don't think anyone's even brought that up). It's the price of the other editions and the fact that they're digital only. See my comment to Sensuki about the Royal edition pricing.

The Royal and Champion edition are priced a bit higher (as most KS do) than their respective KS packages with similar stuff in it as far as I can see (all digital only). The only difference is that the equivalent of the "royal" edition came with two keys for the game I guess.

But KS all works this way, you want a deal you, back the game on Kickstarter or you wait for on year after release.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I think the biggest complaint is the Royal isn't really substantially different than the Champion (plus can't upgrade to it/later announcement, as mentioned). Which I think is a valid complaint in this case. I'd guess it's an option put out to try to grab anyone who hasn't already purchased.  Don't really see it as a smooth move tho (vs. having announced them all at once), even if doesn't affect me personally.

But on the other hand, if one did buy the Champion already and the Royal bonuses aren't anything to get excited about, then eh...I'd just stick with that (or the regular) and not worry about it. I guess there are always those who are completionists however and yeah kinda sucks for them.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Agreed, this is far worse than the $300 Skyrim edition... or well, maybe not.

I do have the CE of Witcher II here, and a lot of the added price stuff like the statue just gathers dust, much rather had a medallion as Xbox gamers got, but apparently that was bad luck for PC-gamers, as they could only be collected buying a 360 CE... which... yeah (I mailed them about it, offered to pay, but no dice, had to get that edition for a console I don't own for a TV I don't own... nope).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

...when I was tempted to get the $150 Borderlands 2 Edition, it was because there was that really cool physical "loot chest" thingie. I wanted that chest. But not enough to actually get it.

Last time I got a CE of any sort was probably BG2, actually. I can't remember. It had a map and maybe some other little thing. That was pretty much the time that I decided I wasn't going to generally be into CE's. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Related:  Has Obsidian said which pledge tiers will receive which GOG editions?

So if I want a gog version what version of pillars of eternity will I get? It would be helpful to know what funding level corresponds to which version.

If you are a backer and choose the GOG version it will be the exact same as the Steam version (minus DRM). All backers get the same version (plus or minus some in-game items/pets depending on your tier).

How it works is that you will go to the Backer Portal to choose where you would like to redeem the game from. You will then be given a key that you can use to redeem a copy of the game from whatever platform you have selected. All digital rewards that are not games are downloaded from the Backer Portal directly, not Steam or GOG.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

^In the latest update, they said Backers would download their extras through the backer portal on Obs' website (not GOG/Steam).

So I think that means we get the digital key for the basic edition on GOG/Steam.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I compared with the kickstarter things - the hero edition offers the exact same things as the $65 boxed copy (the only thing it doesn't have is the boxed copy). It's only $25 more - as a backer I want non-backers to pay more. Maybe next time they'll back. *shrug*

Edited by ItinerantNomad
  • Like 2

@Leferd & Silent Winter:

Thanks for the info...

So...  We get stiffed with a non-upgradeable basic version because... they're too lazy to have the portal differentiate between pledge tiers?

I hope there's been a miscommunication or misunderstanding about this...

All of the current pre-order versions offer the same digital rewards as the backer tiers, but at a higher price. We want the backers to feel like they got a little discount for helping make all of this possible. If I were a backer, I would be angry if the same tier was offered at a lower price down the road. Point any complainers to the Kickstarter page, and tell them to get in early next time. :)

• Like 15

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

All of the current pre-order versions offer the same digital rewards as the backer tiers, but at a higher price. We want the backers to feel like they got a little discount for helping make all of this possible. If I were a backer, I would be angry if the same tier was offered at a lower price down the road. Point any complainers to the Kickstarter page, and tell them to get in early next time. original.gif

The issue is that I'd far prefer to have my digital content available from and backed up at from GOG rather than the Backer Portal. Why is it too much work to match up pledge tiers with available editions?

I understand if some addons would have to be downloaded manually from the Backer Portal, but why can't the basic pledge packages be matched?

@Leferd & Silent Winter:

Thanks for the info...

So...  We get stiffed with a non-upgradeable basic version because... they're too lazy to have the portal differentiate between pledge tiers?

I hope there's been a miscommunication or misunderstanding about this...

All of the current pre-order versions offer the same digital rewards as the backer tiers, but at a higher price. We want the backers to feel like they got a little discount for helping make all of this possible. If I were a backer, I would be angry if the same tier was offered at a lower price down the road. Point any complainers to the Kickstarter page, and tell them to get in early next time. original.gif

The issue is that I'd far prefer to have my digital content available from and backed up at from GOG rather than the Backer Portal. Why is it too much work to match up pledge tiers with available editions?

I understand if some addons would have to be downloaded manually from the Backer Portal, but why can't the basic pledge packages be matched?

That might be the plan. I'm not sure yet - I'll ask Darren about it.

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Some of the comments show how little understanding players have for the amount of work and time that goes into making modern games. $45 for "digital" items includes a soundtrack, a novella, and a strategy guide. If you wanted to buy a digital novel online you better believe you'd be paying at least $10. The same would go for the guide and $1/track for music.

Some of those customers are gredy. They want their cake and want to eat it too.

Edited by ItinerantNomad
  • Like 3

That might be the plan. I'm not sure yet - I'll ask Darren about it.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

. If I were a backer, I would be angry if the same tier was offered at a lower price down the road.

I wouldn't. The whole idea of backing the project is to get the game made - a game we want to play. The goodies are nice extras, yes (and don't get me wrong, I want them as well), but if you're pledging just for the goodies and/or to get them cheaper than someone who decides to buy the game when it's ready, then IMO you're missing the forest for the trees.

Edited by Ink Blot

So the only difference between the Champion and Royal that I can see is:

Digital Chris Avellone novella

Digital Collector's Book

High Res Concept Art

I can't see why anyone would be upset. If you don't think the extras are worth it, then get the Hero Edition.

For comparison on GOG, PoE Champion Edition is US$6 cheaper than the Witcher 3 pre-order. Both come with a similar array of extras including a soundtrack.

This isn't some first-time game from an unproven developer. Hell Obsidian's last game was Stick of Truth, which launched at $60, and that was just the base xbox version with no extras.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/South-Park-Stick-Truth-Xbox-microsoft/product/B006IOAHTQ?context=browse

PoE is a steal by comparison.

• Like 1

Champion edition should have digital hardcover rulebook and digital metal box,

while royal edition would have digital leather cover rulebook vith pages of digital vellum, and luxurious digital metal box encrusted with digital jewels.

Then the pricing would make sense and seem like a bargain.

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 3