350 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you choose? (digital)

• GoG
    • Steam
    • other

Can anyone answer this, or is it answered somewhere already:

In my pledge it says "Digital Downloadable Copy of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux." Which services will this use? GOG or Steam? It doesn't matter much to me, but just curious.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Can anyone answer this, or is it answered somewhere already:

In my pledge it says "Digital Downloadable Copy of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux." Which services will this use? GOG or Steam? It doesn't matter much to me, but just curious.

You get to choose. Hence the poll.

• Like 1

Steam takes 30% of the gross sales from the game companies that make the game... That's more than Sony and Microsoft take from companies releasing game on the consoles Sony and Microsoft make. Why the hell should valve get such a ridiculously high % for doing very little?

Yes they help drive sales for game companies... But 30% is just atrocious. I cannot support their company as long as they do that.

Isn't 30% fairly standard for digital distribution storefronts? I think that's the same cut Apple's app store takes. Does GOG take less?

Edit: The Humble Store only takes a 25% cut, which seems to be the best deal for publishers/developers out there. Short of buying directly from the developer, that is.

GOG takes a 30% cut too IIRC.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Not sure yet.

I do get a physical and a digital copy, though, so I'll already have a DRM-free copy. Therefore, I'll probably get the digital copy on Steam - not the least because I want people to see that I play PE. :D

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Not sure yet.

I do get a physical and a digital copy, though, so I'll already have a DRM-free copy. Therefore, I'll probably get the digital copy on Steam - not the least because I want people to see that I play PE. :D

This is also true for me. And I like taking screenshots and writing captions while playing all the time and Steam automatically backs them up in the cloud... so yeah Steam 100%. :)

Isn't GoG owned or run by the same people who make the Witcher series?

If so ,I think I will choose GoG :)

Yep, it was started by CDPR

All the more reason to avoid GoG then... :p

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Don't know whence the hate for Steam. If it wasn't for Steam, it's entirely likely that PC gaming wouldn't be where it is today.

As for DRM, that's optional and not mandatory on Steam. Plenty of developers/publishers opt out of it, and plenty don't. That's up to them though, not Steam.

• Like 1

Steam takes 30% of the gross sales from the game companies that make the game... That's more than Sony and Microsoft take from companies releasing game on the consoles Sony and Microsoft make. Why the hell should valve get such a ridiculously high % for doing very little?

Yes they help drive sales for game companies... But 30% is just atrocious. I cannot support their company as long as they do that.

30% is the standard fee for digitla marketplaces. Microsoft and Sony probably take at least 30% if not more for digital game son their marketplaces. AND they take about 20% from retail sales they have nothing to do with directly! Heck, Sony charges developers a per gig fee for downloadable titles on top of their cut!

Now, I do think lowering that a bit would be good for PC gaming and for Steam, but I don't have all the information Valve does. Maybe 5% less would make sense financially, maybe not.

I'll be Steaming. I love GoG but I've found that keeping track of updates can be extremely difficult at times, especially for games that I started, stepped away for a bit, then came back to later. I feel that PoE is a game that's going to get frequent updates, like WL2 and D:OS, and I'd much rather it just auto-patch itself.

If it wasn't for Steam, it's entirely likely that PC gaming wouldn't be where it is today.

That's true. And it'd probably be for the better.

If for the better you mean - likely not as healthy as it is today, then maybe.

Like it or not, it's made PC gaming accessible and convenient enough to attract a lot more gamers to core games like this one. Sure, there are games out there that would have hit the zeitgeist either way like Minecraft and League, but many other PC games would have suffered without a popular marketplace with tons of potential customers...

Or worse, Microsoft's utter disaster of a system could have taken off and We'd all be forced to buy games on our PC's but be forced to play them on Xboxes. :()

Edited by Kinthalis
  • Like 2

Like it or not, it's made PC gaming accessible and convenient enough to attract a lot more gamers to core games like this one.

Doubtful. The PC gaming market is obviously there, so if Steam did not exist, there would still be a market. Whether that would mean retail in brick and mortar stores would be much more prevalent than it is now (like it used to be) or whether other digital distribution methods would have cropped up (much more likely), it would still be thriving. Steam may have jumped in at the right time to capitalize on the movement to digital distribution and become the de facto 900 lb gorilla, but IMO, the reports of it being the 'savior' of PC gaming are highly exaggerated.

• Like 4

Isn't GoG owned or run by the same people who make the Witcher series?

If so ,I think I will choose GoG :)

For this reason I wanna go with GoG on the other hand I have no problem with steam's drm and I wanna preload the game, not very fast interwebz here. 50/50 atm...