350 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you choose? (digital)

• GoG
    • Steam
    • other

Steam.  Love having all my stuff in one place.  Easy to use, easy to get new games, everything stays patched and up to date, plenty of sales to get the games I want for cheap.  Marvelous service. 

If you anarchist revolutionaries want to use something else to advance your agenda of justice, have somebody else make something as good or better and I will consider it.  I have a few GoG games but I am not a fan at all.

As far as Valve going out of business and Steam going belly up and me losing all my games....already basically happened a few times in my life before with OS changes as the years roll by. 

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

I don't know I don't see it take much if anything out of my gaming I have owned many games and several copies of different games with or without DRM and saw no difference. So unless it effects my gameplay who really cares it's not hurting you in anyway.

This is pretty understandable. Unfortunately, many of us who hate DRM have been burned by it, which is why we loathe it. Disregarding the fact that some types of DRM completely prevents me from playing games on my off-line rig, DRM has resulted in my inability to play three of my games for extended periods. Once bitten and all that. Hopefully you'll continue to have no issues, but if you do, don't be surprised if you change your stance on DRM.

• Like 1

If you anarchist revolutionaries want to use something else to advance your agenda of justice, have somebody else make something as good or better and I will consider it.  I have a few GoG games but I am not a fan at all.

"anarchist revolutionaries"? Why the insults? Just because there are some people that don't like a service that you prefer, is it really reason to cast aspersions?

• Like 1

"anarchist revolutionaries"? Why the insults? Just because there are some people that don't like a service that you prefer, is it really reason to cast aspersions?

Hey man I was the one called a slave.

But it was meant joke no insult intended.  I was just poking fun at how intense Luckmann has been about this.

But reading it over the real reason it fell flat was because I left out a word.  That should read 'if you anarchist revolutionaries want ME to use something different'

You can use all the GoG you want.  More power to you.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

Steam.

The whole "but it is DRM freeeeeeeeeeeeeee" crap does nothing for me.

Most of the games on GoG are too old to have DRM anyway.

Well that's a bold-faced lie if there ever was one. That, or ignorance.

Do you have data showing that over 50% of the games on GOG were released after the rise of the DRM?

When exactly did DRM "rise", and how do you define it? Copy protection has been around since the 70s. Then there's the various forms of non-software protections... code wheels, picking out words from manual pages, etc.

Given the topic of the thread I made the assumption that the kind of DRM being discussed is obvious  :shrugz:, that's on me. To clarify I was referring to DRM requiring Internet connection to launch or run games, I'm fairly certain that's also what Bryy meant.

Uncheck that, and you won't get any poop-up advertising upon exiting a game...

By far THE worst kind of advertising. u_u

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

But it was meant joke no insult intended.  I was just poking fun at how intense Luckmann has been about this.

But reading it over the real reason it fell flat was because I left out a word.  That should read 'if you anarchist revolutionaries want ME to use something different'

Ah, apologies. I hadn't read the entire thread and didn't see that slave comment.

• Like 1

It's hilarious that you'd call the resident blackshirt an anarchist, though. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

Can one play the game with Steam without internet connection?

In any case, I'll go with GOG!

I own... ~30 games on Steam, and I can play every single one of them without an internet connection. Now, maybe I'm just super lucky, and every other game available on Steam requires an internet connection. But... *shrug*

I only had to be on the internet and logged in to buy and download them (which is the same with GOG), AND to install them (GOG doesn't require this, but, at the same time, if you've just downloaded a game, why not go ahead and install it real quick?). The only other advantage is that, should you lose your hard drive or something, and both Steam AND the internet have been shut down, you could still use your installer from GOG to re-install the game and never ever patch it (assuming you have the installer backed up somewhere).

Which, admittedly, IS an advantage. But, I just wish people would kill the ridiculous Steam rumors. "I heard you have to feed one of your organs to a DEMON every time you play a game on Steam! If you're out of organs, you can't play the game, AND you die! o_o!!!"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I own... ~30 games on Steam, and I can play every single one of them without an internet connection. Now, maybe I'm just super lucky, and every other game available on Steam requires an internet connection. But... *shrug*

I only had to be on the internet and logged in to buy and download them (which is the same with GOG), AND to install them (GOG doesn't require this, but, at the same time, if you've just downloaded a game, why not go ahead and install it real quick?). The only other advantage is that, should you lose your hard drive or something, and both Steam AND the internet have been shut down, you could still use your installer from GOG to re-install the game and never ever patch it (assuming you have the installer backed up somewhere).

Which, admittedly, IS an advantage. But, I just wish people would kill the ridiculous Steam rumors. "I heard you have to feed one of your organs to a DEMON every time you play a game on Steam! If you're out of organs, you can't play the game, AND you die! o_o!!!"

That's good news for me! I must be definitely doing something wrong then, because every time I try to open BG EE (that I've bought on Steam), it immediately prompts me to the Steam login screen instead of opening the game, and there's no way out of that, no "start anyway", "offline mode" or anything... my bad, I guess.

Not that it matters to me, because I'm going to support GOG anyway, but it's good to know that Steam isn't that evil at least.

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

That's not entirely true, though. Once you've downloaded the game from GOG, it's always yours, always and forever, and you can back it up or copy it a thousand times, uninstall, re-install and beat it with a wrench into submission as often as you want, wherever you want, whenever you want.

With Steam, you're always at the mercy of Steam. Steam is having trouble? You're boned. Steam closes shop? You're boned. You wanted to have any reasonable degree of control over the game? You're pretty much boned. Steam doesn't even allow you to install games in a folder other than Steam\SteamApps. Yes, once you've downloaded and installed, there's (a sometimes wonky, to say the least) offline mode (for most?) games, but you still need to be online to install, and you can't actually do anything with the game.

Nevermind that while GOG is sometimes a day-or-so late with patches (sometimes regrettably more) it at least never forces me to patch, which is just Microsoft Skype level of corporate evil.

To me, the way Steam works at least feels like I'm forced to sacrifice an organ to a daemon every time I have to use Steam.

Disclaimer:

I have never actually sacrificed any organs to any daemons past or present, and cannot in a legal sense vouch for the veracity of feelings regarding the usage of organs or offal thereof. This is not to be considered legal advice and is not applicable in a court of law.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Never had any issues with GOG. In fact I got support quite quickly when I needed o.o

The breakdown for me was simpler:

Steam Pros: Convenient, especially their auto patching.

Steam Cons: DRM, and what seems to me like an incredibly stupid application, which annoys me like most modern apps that are becoming more and more stupid.

GOG Pros: No DRM, very very clean, simple, not intrusive.

GOG Cons: You need to wait an extra day for a patch? and then omd manually install it :o

Easy GOG, not turning back, sad I got Skyrim stuck on my Steam. Would have never bought that boxed Skyrim if I noticed.

✔ Certified Bat Food

Are games downloaded and maintained via steam actually moddable? Is there some kind of hashing to prevent modifying the game base? That imho would make the decision for me; I want a game that allows me to mod it.

You can mod Steam games as much as you want, don't worry about that.

Never had any issues with GOG. In fact I got support quite quickly when I needed o.o

The breakdown for me was simpler:

Steam Pros: Convenient, especially their auto patching.

Steam Cons: DRM, and what seems to me like an incredibly stupid application, which annoys me like most modern apps that are becoming more and more stupid.

GOG Pros: No DRM, very very clean, simple, not intrusive.

GOG Cons: You need to wait an extra day for a patch? and then omd manually install it :o

Easy GOG, not turning back, sad I got Skyrim stuck on my Steam. Would have never bought that boxed Skyrim if I noticed.

I actually consider "manual install" a huge plus. GOG doesn't do jack **** unless I tell it to. Of that I can always be sure.

Are games downloaded and maintained via steam actually moddable? Is there some kind of hashing to prevent modifying the game base? That imho would make the decision for me; I want a game that allows me to mod it.

Eh.. while arguably true, let's not pretend there hasn't been huge issues with modding Steam games, with few exceptions (Skyrim, etc). Steam Workshop basically exists to circumvent those issues. Especially modding games that aren't specifically intended to be modded can be a bitch.

t50aJUd.jpg

Eh.. while arguably true, let's not pretend there hasn't been huge issues with modding Steam games, with few exceptions (Skyrim, etc). Steam Workshop basically exists to circumvent those issues. Especially modding games that aren't specifically intended to be modded can be a bitch.

Modding is pretty much always a pain in the ass. I have not had any specific Steam related problems, though.