350 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you choose? (digital)

• GoG
    • Steam
    • other

Really cant decide. I'm in a pickle! :geek: and Its getting closer.

GoG offers DRM free but the lack of support is real ( with patching and all) also I experienced gog spesific bugs when usings mods ( mainly because modders, mod for steam version )

Steam offers the best support but It comes with DRM

So will members of forum offer their thoughts about this topic? I can't really decide.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Steam, just because I'm lazy (slacker backer very much appropriate tyvm). I wish the concept of DRM would just die off already, but it also works more or less like a package manager. (Also I haven't been on gog since before they offered Linux versions I think.)

Fnord.

I like both but am leaning towards Steam for convenience. The "DRM" for Steam is not intrusive to me. Plus they have the added benefit of cloud saves.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Steam. Just easier and faster patching is enough for me. Assuming Obsidian implements cloud saves, that's also a big selling point.

If you decide later that you really, really want a DRM-free installer, wait for the inevitable sales and buy another copy from GOG.

• Like 1

The last 3 Obsidian games I purchased were on Steam, so I may as well keep it there (don't care about/nor like "the cloud"), and I have no problem buying another base copy from GoG if I decide I want a non-Steam version later for some reason. But I probably won't. This isn't a game where I'd likely get finicky about being able to switch patch versions or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm only playing this on one computer, so I don't see the point of cloud saves. Anyway, GOG for me. I like to be completely offline for an SP game.

Oh, about patching--can the Steam installer and patches be downloaded and burned to disc offline, or must the installation and patching process be entirely over internet? The old Baldur's Gate patches didn't bother me, and I liked being able to burn everything as backup. (Re)Installation of big games off media is just much faster than streaming, and what with higher data pricing around these parts, that's a plus.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I will claim one copy for GOG and one for STEAM.

I can't even remember if I get multiple copies of the game. Was that one of the rewards? Not that it matters for me much.

@Ieo - not sure about Steam's installer, but far as I know, patches aren't separated from the Steam installed game, so no.

Only way I've found to separate patched versions is to copy game's full install directory elsewhere, every single time, before you go "online mode" to get a patch. Which of course = a big pain in the butt and disc space if there's a lot of patches.

If you want to move Steam or install a new O/S etc you can circumvent repeated, wholesale downloading of all your Steam games by copying the Steam games directory (steamapps) elsewhere first, but then after copying it back it needs to update/verify files on Steam and each game. At least, that's what happened when I did it a few years ago....

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm only playing this on one computer, so I don't see the point of cloud saves. Anyway, GOG for me. I like to be completely offline for an SP game.

Oh, about patching--can the Steam installer and patches be downloaded and burned to disc offline, or must the installation and patching process be entirely over internet? The old Baldur's Gate patches didn't bother me, and I liked being able to burn everything as backup. (Re)Installation of big games off media is just much faster than streaming, and what with higher data pricing around these parts, that's a plus.

The Steam version will apparently be DRM-ed, so you won't be able to just copy off the install directory and end up with something that will work without the Steam client. All GOG games can be downloaded as an installation package and archived.

For both Steam and GOG, patches are rolled into the install packages. They aren't individually available.

I just asked if individual patches will be available for those of us installing from physical discs, and the answer seems to be a tentative "yes". But I'd say it's highly unlikely those patches will work with Steam or GOG versions.

• Like 2

I will claim one copy for GOG and one for STEAM.

I can't even remember if I get multiple copies of the game. Was that one of the rewards? Not that it matters for me much.

@Ieo - not sure about Steam's installer, but far as I know, patches aren't separated from the Steam installed game, so no.

Only way I've found to separate patched versions is to copy game's full install directory elsewhere, every single time, before you go "online mode" to get a patch. Which of course = a big pain in the butt and disc space if there's a lot of patches.

If you want to move Steam or install a new O/S etc you can circumvent repeated, wholesale downloading of all your Steam games by copying the Steam games directory (steamapps) elsewhere first, but then after copying it back it needs to update/verify files on Steam and each game. At least, that's what happened when I did it a few years ago....

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Check your profile in the Pillars of Eternity backer portal to get info of what rewards you will be getting. I'm getting 6 or 7 copies of the game. I can't even remember. Seeing your badge, I think you'll get a fair amount of copies, too.

so you won't be able to just copy off the install directory and end up with something that will work without the Steam client.

Yeah...to be clear what I said in my above post re: copying game directory before letting Steam patch it doesn't mean you can play it without Steam. Only that if you wanted, you can then copy that "patch version" of the game back into the Steamapps directory.

so you won't be able to just copy off the install directory and end up with something that will work without the Steam client.

Yeah...to be clear what I said in my above post re: copying game directory before letting Steam patch it doesn't mean you can play it without Steam. Only that if you wanted, you can then copy that "patch version" of the game back into the Steamapps directory.

Steam has an option for backing up indvidual games which compresses everything into a nice restore package. Manually copying off the directory works too, but adding things back can get a bit messy if you don't use the official tool.

Check your profile in the Pillars of Eternity backer portal to get info of what rewards you will be getting. I'm getting 6 or 7 copies of the game. I can't even remember. Seeing your badge, I think you'll get a fair amount of copies, too.

I keep forgetting about that backer portal site. blush10.gif

Does this mean, if I get lots of copies, that I can give some away? Or are they all tied to me. I have no idea what I'd need more than a couple copies for, myself.

Steam has an option for backing up indvidual games which compresses everything into a nice restore package. Manually copying off the directory works too, but adding things back can get a bit messy if you don't use the official tool.

I tried that once...there was some reason I didn't like it, but I can't recall what it was now.

For both Steam and GOG, patches are rolled into the install packages. They aren't individually available.

I just asked if individual patches will be available for those of us installing from physical discs, and the answer seems to be a tentative "yes". But I'd say it's highly unlikely those patches will work with Steam or GOG versions.

At least I can archive from GOG, maybe wait until more substantial patches are out or something before archiving the installer again. But as for the last bit, given a substantial number of people will have physical discs, there MUST be patches for that install method... I wish patches were smart and could be compatible across those distro methods, but oh well.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I have no idea what I'd need more than a couple copies for, myself.

Ok, unless the other tiers below are sorta "attached" to mine, I think I just get two copies. The digital one + boxed physical. Totally forgot about the boxed copy, haha, I'm such a goof. At the time I largely was just "take my money!" ... wasn't thinking about rewards much.

But as for the last bit, given a substantial number of people will have physical discs, there MUST be patches for that install method...

You'd think, but I had to ask. They could also go with some kind of patch tool that automates the process, but I doubt they'll have the time or resources to develop such a thing.

But as for the last bit, given a substantial number of people will have physical discs, there MUST be patches for that install method...

You'd think, but I had to ask. They could also go with some kind of patch tool that automates the process, but I doubt they'll have the time or resources to develop such a thing.

You may be right. That would still be a far better financial sink than adding co-op/MP, though, haha. wink.png

@Sensuki: I did a little skimming since you mentioned that. From what I gather, GOG Galaxy is similar to Trion's Glyph client that has a library of their games and patching capabilities (but Trion's can be set to fully exit if you don't want it running). Interesting. As long as games can still be launched independently without any callbacks or online access...

When you say Steam usually has faster patching, is that like how Google releases Android patches and it's up to providers to repackage for their devices? And some companies are far better/willing to package patches than others.

@OP:

In general, if someone already has games in Steam, they might as well go Steam. It sounds like you don't, though. You just have to evaluate what pros/cons you value more, and think about it long-term as well (the oft-discussed IE games are long out of support and a developer firm no longer exists). An example would be iTunes; I never jumped on that train. I viewed it with suspicion and didn't like how Apple's proprietary nature would control my music entertainment so completely. Instead, I'm all about the Amazon MP3 store, which is DRM-free and I can play copies of my purchased music on multiple devices. At some point, I tried to help a friend deep into iTunes to move away from it, but it's extremely difficult and her music collection is essentially held hostage. For me, I value freedom in my entertainment more than whatever online benefits Steam might bring (cloud, "achievements," etc.). Who knows, you might actually enjoy the features in Steam more than care about DRM. Or not. There must be charts out there listing out the pros/cons, and I know there's more than one thread on these forums discussing Steam as well. Dig around a bit.

What's with the "other" option, anyway?

(Well, I suppose that could mean the discs.)

Edited by Ieo

DRM-free for life. I have zero understanding for people that choose Steam over GOG.

Better patching, cloud saves, Big Picture, much larger catalog of games.

If you play nothing but mouse/KB-driven games and old titles, GOG is great. If you play a lot of different games, Steam is the better/only option. A PC hooked up to your TV with a controller is a great alternative to pathetically underpowered consoles for big budget releases, platformers, etc. Big Picture actually makes that a good experience.

The only notable issue I see with DRM as implemented by Steam is the possibility that if Valve goes under some day your games library goes poof. A valid concern, but not something I'm going to spend my time worrying about. I choose a superior feature set and convenience over paranoia.

GOG is great. I have quite a few games there. But they have a way to go before they're at Steam's level.

• Like 1

I prefer GOG because I buy many extra goodies for PoE. I don't want to crack my head finding where is the sound track is hidden by steam so I can easily copy it over to my phone / mp3 or what to listen any time.

I suppose hacking / cheating / modding the DRM free version will be easier, I cannot use mods for steam because the steam version is not the same with the public version (Dungeon Siege 2, I believe Titan Quest too,)

And I am not a fan of auto - patching that nerf some stuff that my stratedy I used for half of the game is no longer valid and I have to start with a new party or feel my current party is underpowered.

Edited by Gnostic