Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

Hello,

I'm very sorry if this question appeared already. I've dug through forum but could not find the answer.

I want to preorder PoE box edition and I cannot find any information wether that's a steam or DRM free version of the game. Or maybe it's a DRMfree-steam version?

I also hope that I asked the question in the right topic, If not, can you please tell me where can I receive those informations?

Cheers!

Call me a noob, but I've never understood what DRM is. Are you saying that some versions of PoE will need an internet connection to play or what? If I do need an internet connection to play PoE with DRM then I must have a non-DRM version.

EDIT: Just checked My Pledges. It says my version will be DRM free so... It's kinda a moot issue. :)

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Call me a noob, but I've never understood what DRM is. Are you saying that some versions of PoE will need an internet connection to play or what? If I do need an internet connection to play PoE with DRM then I must have a non-DRM version.

In PoE's case, yeah, DRM means you'll need constant connection to Steam server. Game's gonna be tied to your account and you'll need to be logged in to play. Steam requires it for most games anyway, with all those offline mode glitches people complain about.

FYI, as far as DRM goes, it's a thing that makes sure you're rightful owner (buyer) of a given software before launching it. Nowadays DRMs in videogames mostly (d)evolved into requiring to be constantly online, which makes people with limited internet connection (yes, they do exist) sad and/or angry. That's why hoooray to GOG! :)

In PoE's case, yeah, DRM means you'll need constant connection to Steam server. Game's gonna be tied to your account and you'll need to be logged in to play. Steam requires it for most games anyway, with all those offline mode glitches people complain about.

FYI, as far as DRM goes, it's a thing that makes sure you're rightful owner (buyer) of a given software before launching it. Nowadays DRMs in videogames mostly (d)evolved into requiring to be constantly online, which makes people with limited internet connection (yes, they do exist) sad and/or angry. That's why hoooray to GOG! :)

:blink:  :blink: 

OK then it's a no-brainer for me: go GOG !

^As much as I like gog too, I don't believe you'll need a constant connection to Steam's server to play the game.

You'll need the steam-client active to download/install it (and if you want auto-patching on).  But there isn't an always-online DRM for PoE, even through Steam.

No doubt a dev can give a concrete confirmation on that.

(Still: go gog!)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Hey there,

I've contacted offical Polish online shop (muve.pl) that distributes PoE. They informed me that to their knowledge the box edition is steam version. So now I'm confused.

Does anyone know who should I contact to get the right answer?

Hey there,

I've contacted offical Polish online shop (muve.pl) that distributes PoE. They informed me that to their knowledge the box edition is steam version. So now I'm confused.

Does anyone know who should I contact to get the right answer?

Couple of days later, so you may have your answer already, but I'm pretty sure it's like this:

All retail boxes will include the Steam version.

The only boxed versions with a DRM-free disc go to those who backed during the kickstarter for a physical edition. (Or perhaps shortly after? Not sure how long the "Backer Phase" was extended, nor am I sure if it included physical no-DRM options. In any case, it's no longer available now.)  The way it currently looks, those DRM-free discs will not be ready for release date, and will ship later. 

You will however, be able to buy a digital, DRM-free version from GoG.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...