Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

Nope. Steam games that don't use Steam's DRM can be launched without the client.

So what you're saying is if I use Steam to download the game and then uninstall Steam. The game will still work without it?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The point is DRM is not a Steam requirement. It's an optional feature the developer/publisher can choose to use.

PoE will apparently be using Steam DRM, so if you want your digital keys guaranteed DRM-free, your option is GOG.

Nope. Steam games that don't use Steam's DRM can be launched without the client.

So what you're saying is if I use Steam to download the game and then uninstall Steam. The game will still work without it?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The point is DRM is not a Steam requirement. It's an optional feature the developer/publisher can choose to use.

PoE will apparently be using Steam DRM, so if you want your digital keys guaranteed DRM-free, your option is GOG.

I still don't see why PoE WILL APPARENTLY be using Steam DRM (aka Steamworks CEG).

Who says that? Any official word on that I've missed?

That would be completely unlogical and unitelligible given the fact that both Obsidian and Paradox don't like DRM themselves and almost all former Paradox published/made games don't use Steamworks CEG...

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

I still don't see why PoE WILL APPARENTLY be using Steam DRM (aka Steamworks CEG).

That would be completely unlogical and unitelligible given the fact that both Obsidian and Paradox don't like DRM themselves and almost all former Paradox published/made games don't use Steamworks CEG...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70039-update-88-final-sprint-and-release-date/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1557231

not a huge big deal, but would I be able to download a version of the game for PC and Mac if I have both machines like I can on Steam, or is it just the one game total? It sounds like the Linux and Mac version's have been problematic and I may have to default to the PC version.

I backed the $50 tier which includes the digital fun pack. This is what the description says for me on the backer portal: 

• Digital Downloadable Copy of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux.

So it would appear, based on the above description that the copy you get is available for one of the OS's. Perhaps there are other options that allow you to get the game for multiple OS's without having to do a full purchase for each one.

Edited by danielkx

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70039-update-88-final-sprint-and-release-date/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1557231

Hm, ok. But to be honest: that post makes no sense at all to me. I don't see why the Steam version of PoE needs DRM because of any backer SKU. Apparently that wasn't a problem for a lot of other kickstarter games on Steam of the same kind, e.g. Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns...

Obsidian should really think about that again because it really seems to be weak excuse for using DRM. Maybe they should ask Larian, inXile or Harebrained Schemes for advice here...

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Ha. Baught myself a bithday present without even knowing :p

im on the same boat more or less.. my birthday is march 13 (friday 8) ),  the release is 13 days later. 13 must be a lucky number this year

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Some "popular" examples:

Does this apply in the US eg is it worldwide? I don't personally own any of those games on Steam so I can't test it. (edit) and of course it still doesn't negate the complaint that you still "need" Steam client to purchase/download and patch the game.

Most games have only one version for all countries, so I assume it's worldwide. I have a few RHCP games, but they all use Steam DRM both in RHCP and international version, so I can't check how it'd work there. Even Fallout 3 doesn't require the Steam client if you use FOSE (or maybe not at all since GFWL was removed), you might have that one and try for yourself.

What bothers me is that Paradox doesn't put DRM on their own games, but does on the ones they publish.

>What bothers me is that Paradox doesn't put DRM on their own games, but does on the ones they publish.

i think the later may be at the request of the developer 

as for the steam client, it is getting a bit fat latelly, but still, unless you have less than 4GB ram in a win7 pc, you dont even know it's there

if using the steam client is such a bother, you can always use gog. as for the physical copies, i think they wont need steam to run since they promished them to be DRM free

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

not a huge big deal, but would I be able to download a version of the game for PC and Mac if I have both machines like I can on Steam, or is it just the one game total? It sounds like the Linux and Mac version's have been problematic and I may have to default to the PC version.

In general, on the gog site at least, you simply buy one game - then you get the pc, mac and linux versions in your account to download from.

Can't guarantee that'll be the case here, but I can't see a separate linux purchase on the pre-orders so I don't see why not.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

>What bothers me is that Paradox doesn't put DRM on their own games, but does on the ones they publish.

as for the steam client, it is getting a bit fat latelly, but still, unless you have less than 4GB ram in a win7 pc, you dont even know it's there

if using the steam client is such a bother, you can always use gog. as for the physical copies, i think they wont need steam to run since they promished them to be DRM free

Could be. But then why does Obsidian want Steam DRM?

I don't mind using the Steam client, I have tons of games there, but I'm always in favor of DRM-free versions no matter where you buy them from.

• Like 2

Could be. But then why does Obsidian want Steam DRM?

I don't mind using the Steam client, I have tons of games there, but I'm always in favor of DRM-free versions no matter where you buy them from.

from what i know the only DRM steam has is the client/account combo... and it can be bypassed with the family sharing system, that allows a linked account to have access to your library

-Teknoman2-

Congratulations ! Another Obsidian game is about to make legend :D

• Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Just checked in today to see how things were going.  Such great news all around.  Just finished up DA:I and really looking forward to playing and spending many, many hours in front of my monitor neglecting my spouse.  ;-)

This might sound cheesy but I am proud to have been a backer of this game.

• Like 1