Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

"At this time"

So hopefully it doesn't end up in retail...

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The Steam version will have DRM? You're sure about that? That'd pretty weird given the fact that Paradox' own games usually didn't use any DRM on Steam (e.g. Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis IV)...

I though it was required for the achievements system. But I see EU IV has achievs. Can you run the .exe without running Steam? (cause the DRM is Steam, not something ontop of that)

There are no DRM requirements for anything on Steam (on top of using the client for downloading the game files). You can have the full feature package without using Steamworks CIG DRM. It's indeed the case for EU IV or for example also for Divinity Original Sin... ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

The Steam version will have DRM? You're sure about that? That'd pretty weird given the fact that Paradox' own games usually didn't use any DRM on Steam (e.g. Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis IV)...

I though it was required for the achievements system. But I see EU IV has achievs. Can you run the .exe without running Steam? (cause the DRM is Steam, not something ontop of that)

There are no DRM requirements for anything on Steam (on top of using the client for downloading the game files). You can have the full feature package without using Steamworks CIG DRM. It's indeed the case for EU IV or for example also for Divinity Original Sin... ;)

I believe Hassat is saying that Steam is the DRM because you have to use steam to play/launch the game everytime, you cannot just launch the game exe without it going through steam.

Unless things have changed about Steam that I am unaware of which is entirely possible.

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, "going gold" matters about as much as a fly in a snowstorm these days. They can keep polishing up until release (and, honestly, hopefully beyond). I would be surprised if there's no "day 1 patch" waiting for those that install with the discs, assuming that they actually manage to ship those discs on release, anyway.

Personally, I'm hoping for at least two more beta builds; one in a week or so, and another in early-to-mid-February, followed possibly by a release candidate shortly before release, preferably early March.

Going gold matters because developers have to release a final build and prepare it for shipping/distribution. This generally takes 4-5 weeks. Of course they continue to polish during that month or so, I am pretty sure that is what I was saying :)

I believe Hassat is saying that Steam is the DRM because you have to use steam to play/launch the game everytime, you cannot just launch the game exe without it going through steam.

Nope. Steam games that don't use Steam's DRM can be launched without the client.

Nope. Steam games that don't use Steam's DRM can be launched without the client.

Pretty much up to the publisher or whoever decides those things.

I don't think I've yet owned a Steam game that allowed this, tho. I've tried just clicking on the game .exe's in directory for example, and Steam client always opens/launches first.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"At this time"

So hopefully it doesn't end up in retail...

It's important for everyone that self-identifies as an attack helicopter or mayonnaise, take this serious, guys, and stop being so damn bigoted.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Guest Darkwish

I bought the Digital Collector's Edition. (This includes digital strategy guide, making of videos, collector book. digital soundtrack.... etc) This version same as Steam/GOG (new) Royal Edition version. We received this extras download from  Backer portal's or receive the royal keys (Steam / Gog)

I don't think I've yet owned a Steam game that allowed this, tho. I've tried just clicking on the game .exe's in directory for example, and Steam client always opens/launches first.

Yeah, what games on Steam actually has no DRM, then? I've never seen a Steam game launch without Steam launching first.
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Yeah enjoyed it much, though less time shiould have been spent wandering the streets of the city. Yet, the most important feature of the game was revealed: font size slider!!! Yes after 20 years of IE games and their likes, they've figured it out and we can all read properly and won't skip conversations!!

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Yeah, what games on Steam actually has no DRM, then? I've never seen a Steam game launch without Steam launching first.

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games or http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

Some "popular" examples:

- Divnity Original Sin

- Wasteland 2

- Divinity II

- Divinity Dragon Commander

- Crusader Kings II

- Europa Universalis IV

- Alpha Protocol

- Arma II

- Bastion

- Dungeon Siege

- Dungeon Siege II

- FTL: Faster than light

- Goat Simulator

- Gone Home

- Half Life 2

- Shadowrun Returns

- Shadowrun Dragonfall DC

- Shovel Knight

- Super Meat Boy

- Transistor

Usually, if you want to run these games without the Steam client you have to access the game's exe file in the game directory and not the desktop link because that's usually associated with the Steam client.

Oh, and you can also read this forum post by one of Paradox Interactive's devs about their DRM policy on Steam: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?667494-March-of-Eagles-and-Steam&p=15037178&viewfull=1#post15037178

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

Some "popular" examples:

Does this apply in the US eg is it worldwide? I don't personally own any of those games on Steam so I can't test it. (edit) and of course it still doesn't negate the complaint that you still "need" Steam client to purchase/download and patch the game.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some "popular" examples:

Does this apply in the US eg is it worldwide? I don't personally own any of those games on Steam so I can't test it. (edit) and of course it still doesn't negate the complaint that you still "need" Steam client to purchase/download and patch the game.

I just fired up Wasteland 2 and Shovel Knight without the Steam client running. Works fine.

Yesterday's stream: I barely heard anything from Josh, the mic volume was way too low. Judging from the comments, it wasn't just me.

My opinion of the game being huge and gorgeous wasn't changed by the stream. :)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding