Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

Still curious about patches/updates for boxed copies. Is Obsidian planning to make these available as individual downloads, or will there by a NWN/NWN2-style patch tool that queries a server.

It will probably just be patches that players can download from the Backer Portal or the Obsidian site.

• Like 2

If I got it right this means that as I should have two separete versions, it would both be the same on steam and gog, and bonuses will be separated on backer portal? So it will be different approach where I was surprised that I didn't had all on secondary gog redeem and bonuses was just with primarily selected steam?

And I'd like to thank you, congratulete you and let this last mile is without cataclysm (o:

You all deserve it.

The portraits are something we want to do, but it takes a long time to do them well and we have lots of subraces that need to be represented. We will definitely try our best to get as much in as possible, but I can't promise that all subrace/gender options will be represented.

Please take your time but get them all in. Great variation is the kind of polish that makes a game look well made. This is your show pony project, no?

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Yea, I see one really, really big problem with this video folks...

I didn't see coffee anywhere on that table!

Personally, cold day in hell before my work could get me into a meeting room without coffee.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

For the moving thing, I don't see why we couldn't do something like that at some point. I am not sure where it fits into the overall bug fixing plan, though. I will make sure to talk it over with some folks.

I made a suggestion thread about this a while ago. Maybe I should submit an "issue" about it.

• Like 2

Will the Linux version also come on this release date or is there another delay like in the alpha/beta?

Would be really sad :(

It should be available at the same time (barring unforeseen problems). It is running pretty well right now.

Any ETA on the beta?

Some time next week is our target. Can't be more specific than that right now.

Oh God, I'm bracing myself for the flurry of posts for the public beta.

Oh God, I'm bracing myself for the flurry of posts for the public beta.

Public beta? The conversation was about the linux version of the game and beta. As far as I know there are no plans to open up the beta to folks who haven't bought in.

I see.

• Like 1

There is zero chance that there will be a public/open beta so close to launch. I would render a guess and say if the next update to the backer beta isn't the last one then at most there would be 1 more update after. There just isn't enough time to deal with the open beta and quite honestly, even if they were to release one tomorrow, it would not do much for them. They already no doubt have a huge list of bugs, glitches, balancing and overall polish they have to do for the game based off of their own testers and backer beta testers. They will not even get to a significant amount of those things before the game goes gold by the end of February so they have plenty of things to do without having a public/open beta to deal with.

I am very excited to play the game, so much so that I am trying to play BG:EE. Have never been able to play the Baldur's gate series, was just too much I did not know about the systems and everything. But I am so excited for PoE that I got BG:EE on my computer and smartphone so I have plenty to hold me over until release of PoE. Plus I will likely wait a couple of weeks until after release so they can release the first patch to deal with the issues they could not get to before release of the game + major issues that the general public discover on initial release.

• Like 1

We would like to make a few variations per portrait that already exists. As for additional portraits, we have a list of them that would be a bit more ambiguous and could work for multiple races. Things like helmed or hooded faces.

Hi Brandon,

while I am very glad to hear you have more portraits planned, and I do appreciate variations of existing portraits, there are some races that are still widely under-represented. For example, dwarves and the sand-skinned aumaua (can't recall what they're called off the top of my mind). Are there plans to add portraits for those, if not by release, in the first post-release patch?

Another unrelated thing I wanted to ask—currently all characters in PoE move simultaneously when an order is issued, which creates the infamous "army of clones" effect. The IE games worked around this by applying a random 1–10ms delay from when the order is issued to when characters execute it. Is something similar planned for PoE?

Thanks!

The portraits are something we want to do, but it takes a long time to do them well and we have lots of subraces that need to be represented. We will definitely try our best to get as much in as possible, but I can't promise that all subrace/gender options will be represented.

For the moving thing, I don't see why we couldn't do something like that at some point. I am not sure where it fits into the overall bug fixing plan, though. I will make sure to talk it over with some folks.

Thanks!

Could you let me know what folks say about the movement thing, either here or via PM? It's something I am really interested in. :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Aargh - can't you move the release day back by 3 days! My birthday is on the 23rd of March, come on, pretty pleeze with a cherry on top.... At least give me my key on the 23rd :)

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Aargh - can't you move the release day back by 3 days! My birthday is on the 23rd of March, come on, pretty pleeze with a cherry on top.... At least give me my key on the 23rd :)

That's like going to a car dealership and the sales person saying that "you can buy the car now but you cannot have it for another week," and you saying, "well that's fine but at least give me the keys to the car!"

LOL

I made a suggestion thread about this a while ago. Maybe I should submit an "issue" about it.

Please do. This can't have enough visibility--"army of clones" is so immersion breaking :(

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That's like going to a car dealership and the sales person saying that "you can buy the car now but you cannot have it for another week," and you saying, "well that's fine but at least give me the keys to the car!"

LOL

Exactly!

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Having the backer beta on my birthday was good enough. We can't stress them.