Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

I really liked how Josh at the end responded to the translator question "I think it's worth hearing what they have to say" is a good call! good team leadership.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Good, a solid date.

...Not much more to say than that, really.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Sigh.

1) Exorbitantly high prize.

2) Regional prizing. (Even on GOG which is against that sort of thing, and only does it when publishers stubbornly demand it.)

3) A bajillion different "editions" released simultaneously. (a.k.a. day-one DLC by a new name.)

4) DRM in the Steam version.

So much for the "Crowd funding lets us do things differently than greedy-evil-big-publisher controlled projects!" platform the kickstarter ran on, and all the assurances that Paradox coming on board wouldn't change that. >_<

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Sigh.

1) Exorbitantly high prize.

2) Regional prizing. (Even on GOG which is against that sort of thing, and only does it when publishers stubbornly demand it.)

3) A bajillion different "editions" released simultaneously. (a.k.a. day-one DLC by a new name.)

4) DRM in the Steam version.

So much for the "Crowd funding lets us do things differently than greedy-evil-big-publisher controlled projects!" platform the kickstarter ran on, and all the assurances that Paradox coming on board wouldn't change that. >_<

1) The game itself costs only 45 dollars. This Royal Edition has tons of unnecessary stuff like making of documentaries, art-books, almanachs, novels... do you really need that crap? If someone wants that for additional 40 dollars, their choice. I bought artbooks for 30 dollars myself. 

3) Day one DLC of a book! Yaaaay!

Seriously, I can't imagine why you would care about that. It's not like Obsidian locked content like quests/companion/playable races or anything else of worth. The only real in-game stuff you get are pre-order bonuses which are truly laughable. A ring and space piglet? I can't imagine this being a deal-breaker for anyone except the most hardcore of collectionists.

4) You can buy it on GoG without DRM. What's the problem? 

And considering how many people ask in General Discussions whether you can buy the game on Steam, instead of website/gog, it's obvious that some people would be really disappointed if Steam was not an option.

• Like 3

I don't know, that meeting seemed almost too boring... it almost made making video games seem like work....

They still need to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Seriously, I can't imagine why you would care about that. It's not like Obsidian locked content like quests/companion/playable races or anything else of worth. The only real in-game stuff you get are pre-order bonuses which are truly laughable. A ring and space piglet? I can't imagine this being a deal-breaker for anyone except the most hardcore of collectionists.

I don't know about you, but I pre-ordered the game when I saw I would get a miniature giant space piglet. The linux version helped, but the piglet sealed the deal.

Fnord.

I don't know about you, but I pre-ordered the game when I saw I would get a miniature giant space piglet. The linux version helped, but the piglet sealed the deal.

Thanks for saying that, because I really had trouble believing anyone would like those pre-order bonuses. I literally burst out in laughter when I first saw what the bonuses were. I couldn't imagine anything more useless to me even if I tried... good to see that at least someone likes that piglet.  :grin:

We would like to make a few variations per portrait that already exists. As for additional portraits, we have a list of them that would be a bit more ambiguous and could work for multiple races. Things like helmed or hooded faces.

Hi Brandon,

while I am very glad to hear you have more portraits planned, and I do appreciate variations of existing portraits, there are some races that are still widely under-represented. For example, dwarves and the sand-skinned aumaua (can't recall what they're called off the top of my mind). Are there plans to add portraits for those, if not by release, in the first post-release patch?

Another unrelated thing I wanted to ask—currently all characters in PoE move simultaneously when an order is issued, which creates the infamous "army of clones" effect. The IE games worked around this by applying a random 1–10ms delay from when the order is issued to when characters execute it. Is something similar planned for PoE?

Thanks!

The portraits are something we want to do, but it takes a long time to do them well and we have lots of subraces that need to be represented. We will definitely try our best to get as much in as possible, but I can't promise that all subrace/gender options will be represented.

For the moving thing, I don't see why we couldn't do something like that at some point. I am not sure where it fits into the overall bug fixing plan, though. I will make sure to talk it over with some folks.

• Like 8

New screen shots on the GOG store. So pretty.

http://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_royal_edition

That price though :blink:

So, on the GOG editions. My Slacker Backer would probably get me the normal Hero Edition, but what about some of the bonuses I backed separately (like the guide), will those be downloadable from the backer portal?

Or are you upgrading me to the Champion Edition? :p

All of the digital rewards that were backed/purchased can be redeemed through our Backer Portal. For example, if your digital tier has the digital soundtrack, you will be able to download all of the tracks from the Backer Portal when we have pushed those changes live.

• Like 3

Thanks for saying that, because I really had trouble believing anyone would like those pre-order bonuses. I literally burst out in laughter when I first saw what the bonuses were. I couldn't imagine anything more useless to me even if I tried... good to see that at least someone likes that piglet.  :grin:

I burst out laughing, too. :) There is more to the game that I like, but the miniature giant space piglet just sort of … I don't know, it showed a developer personality I could get behind? Like you wrote, it'd be worse if it was something that gave noticeable differences in how the game plays.

Too bad it seems like the BB testers don't like the ranger much, otherwise I'd know who'd get the honour of carrying it around.

Fnord.

Will the Linux version also come on this release date or is there another delay like in the alpha/beta?

Would be really sad :(

It should be available at the same time (barring unforeseen problems). It is running pretty well right now.

Any ETA on the beta?

• Like 1

Will the Linux version also come on this release date or is there another delay like in the alpha/beta?

Would be really sad :(

It should be available at the same time (barring unforeseen problems). It is running pretty well right now.

Any ETA on the beta?

Some time next week is our target. Can't be more specific than that right now.

• Like 1

All of the digital rewards that were backed/purchased can be redeemed through our Backer Portal. For example, if your digital tier has the digital soundtrack, you will be able to download all of the tracks from the Backer Portal when we have pushed those changes live.

Thanks for the answer! It's like I thought then, should make things less complicated! =)

Can't wait for my GOG key ;)

Any ETA on the [linux] beta?

Some time next week is our target. Can't be more specific than that right now.

Nice :) I remember Wasteland 2 had some bug during the early release that would flat-out crash my machine, but it was gone by the time it was released. Almost made me feel like I was running windows again. :') XCom still managed to do it last time I tried it, so I'm hoping your Linux testers will be able to eliminate bugs of that magnitude before releasing.

(I have no idea what the bug was. Probably related to the open source ati driver since it managed to take the machine down, rather than just crash X.)

Fnord.

So if I want a gog version what version of pillars of eternity will I get? It would be helpful to know what funding level corresponds to which version.

You should be able to see what your rewards are in the backer portal if you're a backer.

So if I want a gog version what version of pillars of eternity will I get? It would be helpful to know what funding level corresponds to which version.

If you are a backer and choose the GOG version it will be the exact same as the Steam version (minus DRM). All backers get the same version (plus or minus some in-game items/pets depending on your tier).

How it works is that you will go to the Backer Portal to choose where you would like to redeem the game from. You will then be given a key that you can use to redeem a copy of the game from whatever platform you have selected. All digital rewards that are not games are downloaded from the Backer Portal directly, not Steam or GOG.

• Like 7