Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

Portraits is another area that could use always use more, but probably takes quite a while to produce. What's the plan there? (Can always add more down the line too I guess, plus there's custom portrait support).

We are looking into creating variations on current portraits. We want to get in as many portraits as possible, but it takes a lot of time to do ones that are of a high quality level.

Do you have a general idea, a set "goal" for each, say, "three per gender per (sub)-race"? Anything along those lines?

Also, are you still working on more character customization settings? Very personal opinion, I realize, but for example the female deathlike has less gaudy (more helmet-like) heads than the male deathlike (and a portrait to match) and vice versa (I am sure someone wants to play a female deathlike with a truly monstrous shape).

t50aJUd.jpg

There's also a fairly big quality rift between the earlier outsourced portraits and Kaz and Lindsey's ones IMO. I'd probably prefer fewer uniques to more variants but YMMV.

@Luckmann I think some of the actual godlike heads need a bit of work (some of them anyway) when they added hair to some of them it made a few of the models not look that great. Female Fire Godlike heads for instance. Nice to see some more final character art coming through though - looking forward to the Elf revisions.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Will the Linux version also come on this release date or is there another delay like in the alpha/beta?

Would be really sad :(

It should be available at the same time (barring unforeseen problems). It is running pretty well right now.

• Like 5

There's also a fairly big quality rift between the earlier outsourced portraits and Kaz and Lindsey's ones IMO. I'd probably prefer fewer uniques to more variants but YMMV.

@Luckmann I think some of the actual godlike heads need a bit of work (some of them anyway) when they added hair to some of them it made a few of the models not look that great. Female Fire Godlike heads for instance. Nice to see some more final character art coming through though - looking forward to the Elf revisions.

I have no idea who did them, but the two deathlike portraits that are in the game at the moment (1 male, 1 female), whomever made those (and some others, I just mention the two because they are easily found for reference, but there's several in the same style) should have their salary doubled and just start churning portraits out like mad, because damn those look nice.

I'm not sure who did what.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Portraits is another area that could use always use more, but probably takes quite a while to produce. What's the plan there? (Can always add more down the line too I guess, plus there's custom portrait support).

We are looking into creating variations on current portraits. We want to get in as many portraits as possible, but it takes a lot of time to do ones that are of a high quality level.

Do you have a general idea, a set "goal" for each, say, "three per gender per (sub)-race"? Anything along those lines?

Also, are you still working on more character customization settings? Very personal opinion, I realize, but for example the female deathlike has less gaudy (more helmet-like) heads than the male deathlike (and a portrait to match) and vice versa (I am sure someone wants to play a female deathlike with a truly monstrous shape).

We would like to make a few variations per portrait that already exists. As for additional portraits, we have a list of them that would be a bit more ambiguous and could work for multiple races. Things like helmed or hooded faces.

• Like 7

We would like to make a few variations per portrait that already exists. As for additional portraits, we have a list of them that would be a bit more ambiguous and could work for multiple races. Things like helmed or hooded faces.

Doesn't work for godlikes! :biggrin: Because of the no-helmets thing.

But seriously though, that's really great to hear, it didn't occur to me before that you can do it like that, but sometimes you just want to have that knight-helmet thing going on.

t50aJUd.jpg

Really hope that there is a preload option, and that backers get their keys in time to do the preload of the game (as opposed to getting them on release day as the post seems to suggest)...

We will make sure to get the backers their keys before the release date. I misspoke in the update. Probably a few days before or something.

• Like 5

new hotness

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Will the Linux version also come on this release date or is there another delay like in the alpha/beta?

Would be really sad :(

It should be available at the same time (barring unforeseen problems). It is running pretty well right now.

Wow this is good news, at least you are trying to make it :) i see my money was a good investment.

Finally an update, how exciting. I like the 20 minute video, thats neat -to see them in the morning at everyday working on the game ! 

+1 to whomever decided to do that!

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

There was a part in the meeting video, starting at 4:12, when Sawyer nodded repeatedly. I found that strangely reassuring, and had to create a GIF out of it:

9Uzfqa5.gif

During those long, cold winter nights, when decline blankets the outside world, and RPGs are scarce and weak, just take a look at Joshua Eric Sawyer's encouraging face and your soul will be uplifted. </tongue-in-cheek>

I don't think it's a good idea to publish Pillars of Eternity two days after GTA 5, but *shrug*.

Edited by Endrosz

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I don't think it's a good idea to publish Pillars of Eternity two days after GTA 5, but *shrug*.

They likely had plans in place before GTA5's latest delay.

At some point, you have to stop trying to predict your competition and just pick a date.

• Like 1

There was a part in the meeting video, starting at 4:12, when Sawyer nodded repeatedly. I found that strangely reassuring, and had to create a GIF out of it:

9Uzfqa5.gif

During those long, cold winter nights, when decline blankets the outside world, and RPGs are scarce and weak, just take a look at Joshua Eric Sawyer's encouraging face and your soul will uplifted. </tongue-in-cheek>

sawyer.gif

• Like 1

Hi Brandon,

while I am very glad to hear you have more portraits planned, and I do appreciate variations of existing portraits, there are some races that are still widely under-represented. For example, dwarves and the sand-skinned aumaua (can't recall what they're called off the top of my mind). Are there plans to add portraits for those, if not by release, in the first post-release patch?

Another unrelated thing I wanted to ask—currently all characters in PoE move simultaneously when an order is issued, which creates the infamous "army of clones" effect. The IE games worked around this by applying a random 1–10ms delay from when the order is issued to when characters execute it. Is something similar planned for PoE?

Thanks!

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

New screen shots on the GOG store. So pretty.

http://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_royal_edition

That price though :blink:

So, on the GOG editions. My Slacker Backer would probably get me the normal Hero Edition, but what about some of the bonuses I backed separately (like the guide), will those be downloadable from the backer portal?

Or are you upgrading me to the Champion Edition? :p