Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

Also IIRC Steam does not support FLAC downloads or something. At least when I got my Wasteland 2 Steam copy I only got MP3s, they had to set up a bandcamp link for people who had steam but wanted FLAC.

They may have just set it up incorrectly though, you could probably add it as free DLC or something due to the file size.

Will you be able to launch the game from the .exe without steam?

Not on the Steam version. Reason is because the Backer and non-Backer SKUs of the game will share the same depots. We could technically split the depots out so that one SKU has a DRMed executable and another doesn't, but it could get messy so we probably won't.

• Like 1

That was an interesting video, a nice peek in, thanks for that. I was also amused/encouraged that even with all our current hi-tech,  you still can't often beat a simple pen and a pad of paper.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Would be really nice if you could consider a preload on Steam, two or three days before the release date. :)

I don't think we would have any objections, but I will need to do a bit more research on it. I assume it is just a setting that we can set on our Steamworks page, but I will have to look into it.

That would be correct.  as long as you support steam encryption and allow pre-load you can support it.

I just realized I did nto check when ordering - does the physical edition come with a digital download as well? Or is it purely physical (with patches available separately from official site)?

It depends on a few different factors, but mostly it has to do with what tier your have. The higher cost tiers did come with digital copies. The basic boxed copy off of the Backer Portal does not come with a digital version.

Thank you. If I decide to buy an Extra Ditial Download Add-On, do I get a choice of the service I will get it on or does it default to Steam? Or will Obsidian provide the download through their own site? (The same question would go for the DD of the expansion I ordered along with the physical copy)

All digital downloads that go through our Backer Portal will get the choice of where they would like to redeem their copy. Currently that is Steam or GOG, but we are looking into adding more places to that list.

• Like 1

If physical goods are severely delayed like Wasteland 2, do those backers get a digital key so they can play or do they have to sit on their hands unless they want to pay extra for an additional key?

I got an edition with both, but I'd like you use my physical copy while giving my digital key to a friend rather than use both.

That was an interesting video, a nice peek in, thanks for that. I was also amused/encouraged that even with all our current hi-tech,  you still can't often beat a simple pen and a pad of paper.

I typically need to make lots of little notes throughout the day. A laptop is nice, but it can be a hassle to lug it around everywhere. Plus, those notepads have grid lines... and there is just something about grid lines that I love.

• Like 4

Is a solid UI still planned?

It is still on Kaz's plate.

Just recently we did more internal (friends and family) play tests. We got quite a bit of UI feedback so that is his current top priority.

Just great to hear. Actually I consider solid UI to be something akin to my pet PoE issue.

You know, I'm allergic to thin, wiry and transparent UIs.

Well alright, I'm not THAT allergic.

Edited by Rostere
  • Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Any specifics off the top of your head? :)

Lots of little things that we knew about. Polish stuff can sometimes be pushed to the back throughout development.

A larger change is going to be a revision to the grimoire UI. People were very confused, so we are going to take another pass at it.

• Like 4

Well after the huge delay with Wasteland 2's physical boxes, I think many backers will be happy if they don't take as long as that :p

We are going to try to hit the release date exactly (or as closely as possible). Boxes are in production as we speak.

Will boxes go out from Sweden (per Paradox) or how does that work? Since I added international shipping, I'm wondering (I'm in Sweden)... I assume no change is needed there?

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Any specifics off the top of your head? original.gif

Lots of little things that we knew about. Polish stuff can sometimes be pushed to the back throughout development.

A larger change is going to be a revision to the grimoire UI. People were very confused, so we are going to take another pass at it.

Ah yeah. While not really a "Kaz" UI issue: Attack Speeds/Recovery times in sec/msec would be very handy too

• Like 2

Any specifics off the top of your head? :)

I can tell you right now that is one of the first mods I was going to make - I think the Grimoire UI is a little "bland" and would really like to go all out on it. I'm glad they're taking another look at it.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

So late?!?!  :(

And two days after GTA V? Hm...There wil be a huge buzz about that game again, in the gaming press and on Steam. Perhaps not the best time to release a niche game... huh.png

Oh, and a shout-out for Shadowrun Hong Kong on kickstarter would have been nice...

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

Sure you don't wanna release a week earlier?

Like this you release just 2 days after GTA V iirc. While I don't know if thats enough reason for consideration, but this'll surely cost you the top spot on the Steam front page. [/pessimist]

Edited by Quadrone
  • Like 1