Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is UP!

Sensuki

For shigiggles I gave my mage a bunch of extra karma and nuyen and pumped that cyberware stat for extra essence. Then I went over to the street doc and got all the high grade bioware and a few other gizmos. It was right before heading off to the final battle so he had all the good stuff that has reduced essence costs so I was able to fill almost every slot and still be above the required 6 essence for top casting.

For synergies I find it's best to stick to the same main stat like a face/shaman or a decker/rigger or even mage/adapt even though you need to spread some more karma around for that

Free games updated 3/4/21

I finished the game.  Great game overall, though I wasn't a fan of the final mission.  It wasn't bad, but the game fell into the tired old RPG trope of having the final stretch be basically a crapton of combat.  

It's especially bad in light of how Dragonfall provided you with multiple opportunities to avoid combat encounters in its final segment, and a pretty challenging climactic battle in the end.

By comparison, HK's "mop up the small ones, everybody wails on the big bad for a turn, it dies, repeat" was a bit of an anticlimax.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The only reason I thought that is that I maxed out my mage abilities and put points in other places, but I think I might have been better off using some of those excess points in int/deck. Of course, I'll probably read advice/responses for the next while before I start my Hong Kong run, so I'll see. :Cant's one raised eyebrow grin:

Mage and decking are very viable. It's going with cyberware that will hurt ya. Decking though, bah. Get ya a good deck and some good programs and U'll be good inside the matrix and a kickass Mage outside the matrix.

Edit-also any word yet when the mini expansion for the game is coming out and if it's free like a directors edition or if we gotta pay?

Edited by redneckdevil

The only reason I thought that is that I maxed out my mage abilities and put points in other places, but I think I might have been better off using some of those excess points in int/deck. Of course, I'll probably read advice/responses for the next while before I start my Hong Kong run, so I'll see. :Cant's one raised eyebrow grin:

Mage and decking are very viable. It's going with cyberware that will hurt ya. Decking though, bah. Get ya a good deck and some good programs and U'll be good inside the matrix and a kickass Mage outside the matrix.

Edit-also any word yet when the mini expansion for the game is coming out and if it's free like a directors edition or if we gotta pay?

Free for backers, early 2016.

Sigh, I don't wanna wait that long :( hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 comes out soon

Sorry to disappoint you, but CDPR has said straight up that we won't be seeing Cyberpunk 2077 before 2017.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sigh, I don't wanna wait that long :( hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 comes out soon

Sorry to disappoint you, but CDPR has said straight up that we won't be seeing Cyberpunk 2077 before 2017.

Goddammit Keyrock, you just made me cry!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Okay, guys, now that I've finished Shadowrun Returns, I'm wondering, should I play Hong Kong, or get the Dragonfall xpac and play that first?

EDIT: ...And I started a game and literally saved and quit right after I saw the intro and finished the first conversation. I'm quite impressed so far. It'd be nice to see a game with a little less atmosphere, it being all the vogue these days. On the other hand, this *is* Shadowrun. Asking for less atmosphere is like asking for Warhammer with a little less suffering and despair. It's part of the setting. :Cant's tongue in cheek grin icon:

Nevertheless, I prefer to play games in order and Dragonfall isn't very expensive.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On the other hand, if you have HK and not Dragonfall, the latter isn't currently on sale (that I can see on IsThereAnyDeal) so you'd be paying an extra $10-ish for the luxury of playing the games in-order.

* Current price $14.99, lowest price recorded $4.04 (Humble). 25% off code at GMG should work though. Hong Kong has never been on sale at the major retailers but GamesRocket (never heard of them) are listed as having it for $11.95.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's actually damned impressive, my Humanoid friend, but the odd ten or fifteen bucks isn't that big of a deal. ...And I already own Hong Kong, so it's only a matter of buying that one xpac rather than deciding between the xpac and the sequel.

On the other hand, I still haven't played the new PoE expansion, so I don't really have to buy anything right away. I'll revisit when I'm done with that, which will probably be at least several weeks if not several months.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It's tricky. On the one hand Dragonfall is the best campaign of the three. On the other hand, Hong Kong does do some improvements to some of the gameplay aspects (more skills adding more choices to character creation, change matrix gameplay).

So it might be a bit weird going from Hong Kong then Dragonfall, but I still think I'd like to save Dragonfall for last.

I played Dragonfall just a few weeks before Hoong Kong and for me Hong Kong felt like a little bit of a let down, just because Dragonfall was so good. Hong Kong is still better than Dead Man's Switch so it'll still be a step up.

Yeah tbh u could play either one first as long as you've already played dead mans switch. Dragonfall got the best story but Hong Kong I think has better mechanics and I dare say feel like Shadowrun missions, but the Main Quest is t up to par with dragonfall. All three are freaking fantastic games though.

Yeah tbh u could play either one first as long as you've already played dead mans switch. Dragonfall got the best story but Hong Kong I think has better mechanics and I dare say feel like Shadowrun missions, but the Main Quest is t up to par with dragonfall. All three are freaking fantastic games though.

I wouldn't call DMS fantastic. It was enjoyable, sure, but it had a few undeniable flaws which Harebrained later improved. So imo it was a good prototype of fantastic games that followed :)

Between Dragonfall and Hong Kong, I couldn't say which is the better game. If I made a list, Hong Kong would probably have more points in its favor, but story is a central element in this kind of game and I think it carries more weight than some features which were stronger in Hong Kong. Dragonfall wins here with better pacing and a more satisfying ending. But in the end they're both excellent, so play both in whatever order you like. You're probably going to replay them anyway. ;)

What version of DF are you playing? The DLC for SRR or the standalone Director's Cut? There are some differences between the two versions, with the latter being the superior one.

I'd go with DF before HK. Quality-wise, they are about the same except for the final act which, echoing the prevalent opinion here, is stronger in DF. HK received a few UI, mechanics and inventory upgrades, and going to DF after HK could feel a bit like playing BG1 after BG2 (plot notwithstanding).

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have time to play until last night, but I took your advice, numbers, and got the Director's Cut of Dragonfall. They really have done an excellent job with the game. I really tend to prefer to play games in order for a variety of reasons, and especially for the one you cite: I don't want to play an older version and not enjoy it as much because I miss the improvements in things like the GUI or AI.

• Like 1

Obsidian Plays

• 3 months later...

I like all 3 and generally like the incremental improvements they made to the UI and gameplay with the exception of matrix play.

Adding *twitch* to a turn based cRPG was *silly* in my opinion. The matrix needed a retread but not by imposing a different style of gameplay that ignores character abilities and focusses on player reflex skills instead.

• Like 1

Adding *twitch* to a turn based cRPG was *silly* in my opinion. The matrix needed a retread but not by imposing a different style of gameplay that ignores character abilities and focusses on player reflex skills instead.

It is kind of silly. And what's even worse, the game has noticeable input lag. Still - I enjoy this version of Matrix more than in the previous games.

• 3 weeks later...

We are pleased to announce that the Shadows of Hong Kong bonus campaign is now available as part of a free update to Shadowrun: Hong Kong.This update also adds the developer audio commentary Kickstarter reward and a variety of small game improvements such as new visual effects, updated dialogue, and editor features for User Generated Content.

So, we’ve rebranded the title asShadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition to reflect all the new content. Hong Kong has never been better!

The Extended Edition update is free for all Backers and existing owners of Shadowrun: Hong Kong - to receive the update, you just need to go to your chosen game store (Steam, GOG, or Humble) and download it as you would any other game update. (On Steam this should be automatic.)
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21