Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is UP!

Sensuki

Considering cheating a little to not wind up with the usual min-maxed character. Doesn't really matter if you cheat abilites that kinda cancel eachother out. Having both a high gun skill and a high unarmed for instance won't necessarily help you that much. 

Of course if you overdo it you have pretty much ruined your playthrough.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

So *now* you come through with the goods, my numbered friend, *after* I've already bought it. No, the original game was 15 bucks and the new one coming out was 20 bucks. However, before I do something so shameful as blame you, I have to say that I know GoG sells a lot of the same stuff, I've used them in the past, and it's my fault for not thinking to look there also to compare. Caueat emptor.

...But I'm back in the air conditioning and getting ready to sit down to play some more, so I'm happy.

Haha, sorry. I'm usually the one learning about deals from folks here, not the other way around. GOG is my go-to option, I assumed you had checked there before committing.

In other news, I officially suck at hacking. How hard can it be to remember a short number sequence? (loving the Matrix revamp so far)

I usually go with a street sam in first playthoughs, but seeing how there are two NPCs with that archetype and again they neglected the pure caster option*, I made an elf mage instead. Elves > you.

*was it really necessary to off Carter? WHY U HATE MAGES HBS?!?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Made myself a rigger. Pistols and drones, that's how I roll. So far it's not that hard, I am not very far into it yet, though. Inside the wallet city, so pretty much still at the beginning of the game... Let's see how it continues from here on now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Rolling with Elven Decker/Assault Rifle (and it rocks). Call my pet Angel, since PC anyway saves everyone buts.

Very strong start. Earthquake at the beginning and the tension is growing.

Impressed by little things like cyberimplants (the claws), or the neat Qi Katanas.

Good stuff.

It sure would have been nice if they actually explained their new hacking mini-game.  Not necessarily a full blown tutorial, but even a little pop up box of text with a brief explanation the first time you attempt it would have been helpful.  Nope, nothing, timer running down, figure it out by trial and error.  It's especially bothersome since they had pop up text like I just described earlier in the game describing basic turn-based combat and such, stuff I didn't need to read since I played the earlier games, but it's cool it's there since this could be somebody's first Shadowrun game.  But then they get to something that everybody will be seeing for the first time ever and no explanation at all.  The ****, Harebrained Schemes?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

How useful are etiquettes so far? The previous games were very uneven in this aspect, some etiquettes gave substantial rewards and others were hardly ever used.

Too early to really tell, but the 2 I picked (Shadowrunner and Academic) have already given me a couple conversation options so far.

The writing in this game is so enjoyable, which is good because there's a lot to read.  I'm down with that, I like to read, and HBS has such a good narrative style.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm pretty far in now and the etiquette skills have been super helpful. I have an elf face character that has talked his way out of trouble and into sweet loot several times now. Sure, some of the checks were just charisma but most were the various etiquette skills.

Also, at least a couple runs now with no combat

Free games updated 3/4/21

I have never been able to complete the hack puzzle in time and I'm at a point now where I need to or the security system will lock me out and I won't be able to proceed. 

The first part with the numbers you can usually muddle through, then you have to match a huge row of symbols and there is no time left.

Is it always the same row it's giving hints for ?. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

How useful are etiquettes so far? The previous games were very uneven in this aspect, some etiquettes gave substantial rewards and others were hardly ever used.

Too early to really tell, but the 2 I picked (Shadowrunner and Academic) have already given me a couple conversation options so far.

Academic/Corp drone here. Academic for a lot of flavor talk, but no actual rewards. I haven't seen a single Corp check yet. Gang/Shadowrunner seem to be used fairly frequently. Good thing they rolled Street into Gang. I'm debating whether to get Security or Gang for third.

I have never been able to complete the hack puzzle in time and I'm at a point now where I need to or the security system will lock me out and I won't be able to proceed. 

The first part with the numbers you can usually muddle through, then you have to match a huge row of symbols and there is no time left.

Is it always the same row it's giving hints for ?. 

Huge row? I've only seen four symbols. What difficulty is the lock?

From what I've seen, I think it goes like this: completing each numeric sequence earns you extra time. I do the combination thing until the last lock (can't for the life of me memorize 8 numbers) and then use the bonus time I've accumulated to guess the symbols. Doesn't work so well if you can't beat the first 6-7 locks quickly, as you will actually have *less* time left than when you started, and the timer counts down much faster during the symbol phase.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

But a bunch of new symbols appear below on the screen after you do the number bit and the small display above starts flashing hints. Aren't you supposed to click on the rows of symbols below ?

You sure the number bit does nothing other than give more time ?

Okay, maybe I'm not understanding what you mean right. Let's see: the symbol thing is a way to sidestep a *single* numeric combination lock, of which there are 8 (I think) of increasing difficulty that you need to beat to win the game. You don't need to guess the symbols for each lock, only for those you don't want to/cant beat by remembering the numbers. You are indeed supposed to click on the row of symbols you think is the correct one judging from the hints. I usually take the plunge once I have located a row that has 3 symbols matched.

So far havent much problems with hack IC minigames. Generally was going for 1 keypad, and then rulette machine. I think the key to symbols is to not discover whole sequence, just spot the symbols which are unique, and does not exist on that position in any other set. Also using PC decker with good tools may help. (+15 sec or something)

Having more problems with stealth minigame, having discovered Suppresion yet ;-) so the trace goes up and it ends in bloodsheet. At least on normal IC combat isnt that hard.

So if you get all the number repeats right that's a success. I think there are programs you can buy that give you more time. Gonna look into that. 

Looks like I was wrong. You don't need to defeat all the numeric combination locks, just the first one. After that, you can click on "next" and it takes you straight to the symbol sequence guessing part. Beating that just once clears the hacking minigame. The numeric combinations seem to have no purpose other than earning you extra time for the second part. For easy locks (4-5 symbols), 30 seconds is more than enough and doing the 8 numeric sequences is kinda pointless, unless you want to practice for tougher instances.

Rolled a Dwarf mage and am really enjoying the game. Made it through the first few fights and the ambush then just as I was sealing victory and escaping my "main", who I had parked behind a gazebo due to low health, dropped dead for no reason and I had to start over. Weird.

Question. One of the npc'c has an ability called "poison fog" or something like that. I cast it on an enemy summoner, and their summon, and they both died. Now the summoner was almost dead anyway but the summon was at full health. Does the summon die when the summoner does?

Question. One of the npc'c has an ability called "poison fog" or something like that. I cast it on an enemy summoner, and their summon, and they both died. Now the summoner was almost dead anyway but the summon was at full health. Does the summon die when the summoner does?

Yep. And if you stun them the spirit breaks free and goes wild on everyone IIRC.

• Like 1

They do an amazing job of fleshing out characters through their dialogue, the mannerisms they describe, their garb, etc.  I noticed myself subconsciously speaking differently, even slipping into slight accents, as I spoke dialogue from various characters out loud (I'm speaking out loud because I'm recording LPs), just because my mind was formulating a manner of speaking for each of these characters from the bits of description I've been given.  I just spent an hour where 90% of it was me reading text on a screen and I loved every second of it.

Also, Auntie Cheng is the best.  I freakin' love that character.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

There is stealth ?. I thought you were just supposed to run past the detector programs while their FOV cone is pointing the other way. 

I mean the run from watcher line of sigh. It resembles some stealth game like splinter cell, exept you are running.

Amazing game, something to look at is how Companions gain special abilities, and rewards after finishing their story.

Also there is so many cool things i would love to buy, but so little nuyen.

And too many builds to try. I played with Decker Gunman, but Melee Cyber Samurai could be fun. Also there are new drones to check. Choices choices