Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is UP!

Sensuki

I'm a bit surprised they announced the (one) final stretch goal (to rule them all) so early on when they could have easily done some smaller bait goals to try to get more money

Those bait goals can often become burden during actual realization of project and in some cases can become cost more money than they bring, as many kickstarter projects have realized. So it can be much better for project and people running the project get bit less money than promise something that seem small but at end will make project much more complex and harder to realize. Same thing goes for the reward tiers. 

If they end up getting significantly more than $1million, I'm guessing they'll probably just decide to continue to add more missions and play time hours to the mini-campaign.  Perhaps it will end up being more like a full fledged expansion, as it looks like they could end up with around $1.5 million (depending on the likely final day push is).  

Hitting  1M seems very likely. Nice.

My guess;

the mini-expansion will get more content/companions & turn into 10h expansion at 1.2M or thereabouts...

... if the 1M is reached before the final rush. But that might not be the case, winding down.

I'll probably up to $35 from $25 at some point. When I'm feeling gullible.

• 2 weeks later...

Little over $130K to raise in 9 days.  Things have slowed down, but there should be a pretty big boost in the last couple of days when reminder emails go out and people who are planning to upgrade their pledges do so.  

Also, RPGCodex has their own community fundraiser going for the Kickstarter... They've already raised over $3K and are keeping it going until the 14th.  From what I understand, the admins will pledge once they have their final tally.  

There won't be a paypal option

Are you going to have a Paypal option?

Unfortunately, no. Paypal makes the customer service end of things super-difficult and we do not have the staff to support it. We really appreciate that you want to support the Kickstarter, though, and hope that you'll help us by spreading the word.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well, then they get my money not before it appears on GoG or Steam. Too lazy to recharge my credit card.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My guess;

the mini-expansion will get more content/companions & turn into 10h expansion at 1.2M or thereabouts...

... if the 1M is reached before the final rush. But that might not be the case, winding down.

Going a bit better than I , being a pessimist, assumed.

At the current rate, they'll hit 1M even without the surge of the last days. 

Which means there'll probably be that a one more (reachable) goal.

My guess;

Going a bit better than I , being a pessimist, assumed.

At the current rate, they'll hit 1M even without the surge of the last days. 

Which means there'll probably be that a one more (reachable) goal.

I think they'll end up around $1.2 million.. maybe even a bit more.  But I'm not sure they'll announce anymore specific stretch goals.  It seems HBS is being pretty careful not to over-promise and commit to oft requested features that could be very time consuming  expensive (e.g., Astral Space, Co-op, etc.)   That's the smart thing to do though and I applaud them for being honest.  They seem set on getting the game released by the end of the year.  Therefore I'm guessing they'll use any funds above $1 million to make the "mini-campaign"  bigger.  Perhaps if they get $1.5 million they'll turn it into more of full fledged expansion pack.  I'd be very happy with that.  All the missions in Dragonfall were great fun.  

Well, they may just use the poll from the first Kickstarter campaign (which is how they arrived at Hong Kong).  I believe the next choice was "More Seattle", followed closely by London and Chicago.  Or they may just decide on their own (I know they've said in interviews they'd love to do a campaign in a more wilderness environment like Australia or perhaps Aztlan.  

My dream stretch goal would actually be for them to make a "Dead Man's Switch- Director's Cut" in the SR:HK editor.  DMS with full fledged companions, new missions, narrative choices, and all the improvements that are in DF:DC and will be added to HK would make for an amazing game... But probably be really expensive... And with two days left, there probably isn't enough time to get enough funding for something like that...   On the other hand, a new SR campaign in a different locale next year would be even better.

Edited by daveyd

Now if only we could get a campaign in Tenochtitlan...

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 5 months later...

Have been binge playing. Started with dead man switch and now I feel like I'm closing in on the end of dragonfall. Hong Kong was a prepurchase for me and hoping to wrap it up and start it when Thursday. I really loved both games, dead mans switch felt like a nice one shot campaign and really dogged the whole feeling that all that badass epic stuff is just a regular day for someone else. I felt like I was a big shot and then the game sucker punched me and knot her me off my mountain top and showed me there's whole other levels at play way above my current position. Dragonfall I'm loving because they just did everything better. The team was a nice touched.

Whelp back to playing

I *just* bought the first Shadowrun game from this company, Shadowrun Returns. I'll probably regret this since the time I have to play computer games will dry up soon, but i have my hopes. I've played the first ten minutes or so and I like it so far. If I do, I'll but the newest game on Wednesday evening.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I *just* bought the first Shadowrun game from this company, Shadowrun Returns. I'll probably regret this since the time I have to play computer games will dry up soon, but i have my hopes. I've played the first ten minutes or so and I like it so far. If I do, I'll but the newest game on Wednesday evening.

Returns is very linear. If you have time for only one game, you should have bought Dragonfall, which improved on Returns in practically every way. But hey, that only means the jump to Hong Kong will be that much more satisfying to you. :)
  • Like 2