System Requirements!

I know Obsidian said PoE would be designed with older hardware in mind, which my music to my ears since my machine is close to decade old now. I noticed the requirements on the Steam page for PoE and saw we need 4GB of RAM. I meet all the other requirements, but as an XP user do not have access to 4GB of RAM. Is this requirement set in stone? Will the game run if I only have 3GB?

Really looking forward to this, I just hope I can run it.

• Like 1

I don't have an answer, but I can give information that when I run the current beta, on my 64-bit Win7 system the .exe by itself likes to use about 1.6-2GB of system RAM. Up and down a bit depend on area/what you're doing and all that.

That could, of course, not be what your rig ends up using, doing the same thing, since it's a different O/S/config etc, and I don't know what the final/full game will be like vs. beta.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you don't have "access" to 4GB of RAM it likely means you're running on x86 architecture instead of x64. All of the recent Unity games (Wasteland 2 etc) have trouble performing stably on x86 systems, simply because I don't think they are optimized for them.

Edited by Sensuki

PoE may still run on his/her rig, but how good actual performance may be is pretty up in the air I think.

3GB for an XP system always seems odd to me, but I tend to use even numbers of RAM. Can you still find RAM that would work in your motherboard/system so you could have 4 instead of just 3?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh. For some reason I thought XP32 could get close to 4, it just couldn't go over 4.

I've seen people posting playing unity indies on XP, but yeah, can't speak for percentage's of stability on such.

I don't have an answer, but I can give information that when I run the current beta, on my 64-bit Win7 system the .exe by itself likes to use about 1.6-2GB of system RAM. Up and down a bit depend on area/what you're doing and all that.

That could, of course, not be what your rig ends up using, doing the same thing, since it's a different O/S/config etc, and I don't know what the final/full game will be like vs. beta.

This is good news thank you!

Oh. For some reason I thought XP32 could get close to 4, it just couldn't go over 4.

I've seen people posting playing unity indies on XP, but yeah, can't speak for percentage's of stability on such.

Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity are a bit more resource hungry than small indie titles. Hormalakh had to switch from Win7-32 to Win7-64 because his games just kept crashing.

Yeah the only other Unity game I've played was Shadowrun Returns. It ran fine, but I suspect PoE will be much more intense.

Well you can...you have to use a RAM disk to push yourself above the limit.  It's a sloppy method though, and can cause all kinds of headaches, errors, crashes and so on because you're then getting into the 32bit addressing limitation itself.  Better for those with XP to pick up a copy of Win7x64 on the cheap from reddit or redflagdeals.  $15 isn't that expensive, even for those on a shoestring budget I've lived that life myself.

I know Obsidian said PoE would be designed with older hardware in mind, which my music to my ears since my machine is close to decade old now. I noticed the requirements on the Steam page for PoE and saw we need 4GB of RAM. I meet all the other requirements, but as an XP user do not have access to 4GB of RAM. Is this requirement set in stone? Will the game run if I only have 3GB?

To my understanding when games require 4GB of RAM, it actually means they require 2.5GB of free RAM at most. So you might be okay since XP doesn't need as much RAM as Win7 or Win8 or Vista.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

To my understanding when games require 4GB of RAM, it actually means they require 2.5GB of free RAM at most. So you might be okay since XP doesn't need as much RAM as Win7 or Win8 or Vista.

This: If you're running Windows XP on 3GB RAM you probably have more RAM available than Windows Vista running 4GB.

Hi

My VideoCard, CPU meets the requirments but, like guys before me, have the same problem with RAM. Got 3 RAM on Win7 x64.
There is however a solution to that without buying new RAM.
You can turn off any visual effects in your Windows, to do it go to advanced system settings after RMB on My Computer. Set everything on performance and your RAM usage will drop dramatically. :) It worked fine for me with many games that required 3-4GB RAM. Gives 20-40FPS.

Really. If you can afford to spend money on video games, you should be able to afford new RAM.

I'm all for making PoE run on systems that are not top notch, however asking someone to have at least 4gb of ram, at the very least Vista (if not 7), or that they run a 64 bit OS, is not asking much in 2015 (it wasn't asking all that much even 5 years ago). If you have less than that you're really really behind and should spend the couple hundred it takes to get yourself a far far better system. To give you and idea of just how far behind you are, only the cheapest of Dells (I'm just using them as an example as they are a mainstream source of computers and their products represent what average joe buys) come with 4gb of ram, and they are less than $500. Dell's mid tiers all come with 8gb, and they aren't much more than $500, and Dell's mid tiers would still be considered a lower tier system to many if not most modern gamers.

To be frank, someone who hasn't upgraded their computer in the better part of ten years really has no legitimate complaint if it can't run a new product well or at all. Rather than spend money on games, go out and spend money on getting a better system first. It will be money well spent.

Edited by Valsuelm

Really. If you can afford to spend money on video games, you should be able to afford new RAM.

I'm all for making PoE run on systems that are not top notch, however asking someone to have at least 4gb of ram, at the very least Vista (if not 7), or that they run a 64 bit OS, is not asking much in 2015 (it wasn't asking all that much even 5 years ago). If you have less than that you're really really behind and should spend the couple hundred it takes to get yourself a far far better system. To give you and idea of just how far behind you are, only the cheapest of Dells (I'm just using them as an example as they are a mainstream source of computers and their products represent what average joe buys) come with 4gb of ram, and they are less than $500. Dell's mid tiers all come with 8gb, and they aren't much more than $500, and Dell's mid tiers would still be considered a lower tier system to many if not most modern gamers.

To be frank, someone who hasn't upgraded their computer in the better part of ten years really has no legitimate complaint if it can't run a new product well or at all. Rather than spend money on games, go out and spend money on getting a better system first. It will be money well spent.

Math hasn't always been my strong suit, but assuming I'm understanding numbers correctly $500 is much more than $45. 

Don't hate the poor, Mitt Romney.

• Like 2

Math hasn't always been my strong suit, but assuming I'm understanding numbers correctly $500 is much more than $45. 

Don't hate the poor, Mitt Romney.

Opportunity cost, and you shouldn't be buying X that makes use of Y if your Y isn't up to snuff. It's like getting a new paint job on a car that's engine is falling apart. Your priorities are out of whack.

If x86 is your problem you could always "upgrade" to XP 64-bit edition. *snicker snicker*...

(Don't do it... IT'S A TRAP!)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If x86 is your problem you could always "upgrade" to XP 64-bit edition. *snicker snicker*...

(Don't do it... IT'S A TRAP!)

You're assuming he has 64-bit hardware. Definitely not a guarantee with a 10 year old machine.

If the OP wants to do a bit of research into upgrading his existing hardware, start with getting some info on the CPU and motherboard: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

That will at least tell us if a RAM upgrade is possible.

• 2 months later...

I love when smug people like to dump on others for not having the money to buy a new computer and want to play a pc game when possible. Obsidian originally said the game was being made with older systems in mind. They also had XP listed as the minimum OS for a long time and they switched it. I bet they had a lot of people with older systems excited to play until the requirements were changed on them. Not too cool imo.

• 3 months later...

Just a short question: Is my computer ready to play the game fluently without hanging screens and so on???

Sony Vaio

Intel Core i5 M560 2,67 GHz

4 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 425M

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Please give me some feedback since I wouldn't order the game if it doesn't run properly.

THX

I would imagine so, but if it doesn't run satisfactory you could always take advantage of the Steam refund policy.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!