Max Level?

Were you really hurting for more power at the end of KOTOR, when you were tossing around Sith like ragdolls?

Geez.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

More levels doesn't mean more power, necessarily. Just more, well... levels. It's imaginable that you could blur the steps or make the enemies more powerful, or just add world mechanic type challenges (traps and tricks, difficult mission goals) to make the levels worthwile. You grow above and beyond certain difficulties, with new ones to get used to. I will agree, however, that if it ends up with you having enough powers and skills, it get's pretty gratuitous - cite, the ToB expansion to BGII.

In the first KOTOR, I did feel sort of cut short at level 20, just because you leveled so incredibly fast in that game. I could imagine a game with about the same pace, but maybe 25-30 levels would be more satisfying.

In my game, on the leviathan, I could fight Dark Jedi Master's with my FISTS and still win. That's pretty gratuitous - I think that's more a matter of overadjusted difficulty level than character levels. After all, what are you on the leviathan - level 16??

Regardless, I heard somewhere there was no level 20 level cap any longer, and I would assume you break off to the prestige classes after that, maybe? I guess it's all at the semi rumour stage right now. Oh well.

the new "prestige" classes "essentially let you attain the status of the highest level of jedi or sith you can image"

CGW

That doesn't mean levels higher than 20 though.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the PnP game, but Prestige classes are kinda like "uberclasses" you dual class into. They have class requirements, but tend to give hefty bonuses.

The downside is they cut into your 20 level limit.

Granted D20 DnD has the epic thing going... but I don't think d20 SW does... of course... KotOR the first was only loosely based on it.

I'm not looking to be power hungy, or tose around sith like ragdolls, I love a challenge, i want to see epic levels, with epic enemies.

That is done by limiting levels, enemy encounters and making the level up pace slower, not the way around that leads to something like diablo.

drakron.png

The diference is becaming more conserned with level up to beat the grunts, diablo throws hords at us until we became sick and tired of then.

By limiting you make combat special since it does not happens too often and that allow then to create encounters with stronger basic because at most you be facing then 4-6 times to clear the area.

The basic idea is removing the hords that lead only to leveling up too fast and having having many not powerful enemies at once, thing of the Star Forge hords that were boring because they were not a challange but could beat us by sheer numbers.

drakron.png

*shrug* I guess the assumption is that they'd be sticking mostly to d20 rules. In that case, more levels is bad. What I mean is, lets have two systems: one with forty and one with twenty levels. The level forty in one system is equivalent to the level twenty in the other, with more steps on the way. There'd be more level ups to manage, and a generally less limited, more gradient system of levelling.

The D20 system is best for levels 3-12. I recommend keeping as much of the game as possible in this 'sweet spot.'

High-level D20 stinks for the same reason that very-low level D20 stinks: Combat is inordinately dominated by one variable.

In low levels, it is the critical chance roll. One of those pops up against you, and you're toast at any level below 3 or 4 (depending on the weapon). At high levels, it's the saving throw. Almost every combat ends up being decided by whether you get caught in one of the insta-death or immobilizing spell (or whatever) effects that every enemy seems to have at that stage (and, no matter how much you boost your saves, there's still a 5% chance that you lose).

When one variable dominates all the others, the combat becomes too random-- too easy for your character to be doomed by one bad roll. Not much fun.

On a personal note, I much prefer low level campaigns (say, level 1-6). I have trouble identifying with the superhuman characters you end up with above that. They've got no real vulnerability.

I was looking for more power, and very disapointed with only being able to reach lvlv 20.

That way leads to the Dark Side.

You will be able to go beyond Level 20 in KOTOR2: TSL.

Has anyone ever told you you're a sexy beast?

Well, now I'm telling you.

Thank you for boosting the level cap. :)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I was looking for more power, and very disapointed with only being able to reach lvlv 20.

Good to know! thank you for the info.

I think the best way to balance high levels, is by an over abudance of force powers & feats, so no character can know everything, you could then choose to specialize in certain areas, or just make a well rounded character.

I'd prefer 20 levels, but i'm not surprised you can go beyond now. Kotor had 20 yet it seemed like a lot less, and most people reached the cap long before the end. Also, those levels were not balanced particularly well. some planets are an absolute joke if you already have certain powers, that's before the "scaled enemies" kicks in - like holy warriors on Tatooine.

If the levels scale better i can see 30 being perfectly acceptable. 40 is way too high though. btw, let's not forget you reach about lvl 8 on Taris. I know some people hold off leveling up but that only leaves 12 levels for the other planets. That was very poor progression.

Wouldn't you just love to remove the level cap altogether?

Then those of us, like me, who play RPGs like they play minesweeper, will benefit from our insistence upon probing every crevace in the map, delivering every last message, killing every last critter.

IMO 20 normal levels plus 5-10 advanced levels would be good! ;) But i agree being able to reach level 8 on Taris was a bit much! :)

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!