Inventory/Character Record Panel Tooltip Suggestion

Sensuki

The changes to the inventory screen in v392 were definitely a step in the right direction, much better use of available space and the stat side panel is now quite a bit better.

However to further improve it, I think tooltips are needed for the combat stats themselves that show the makeup of the value, this would also be handier for testing whether values actually work.

An important one is an Accuracy tooltip. I'd like to see something like this when I mouse over my Accuracy and get a dump of all of the values that individually make up the score. 

myNlAaj.jpg

Same again for Defenses (at least)

MUCWaMJ.jpg

And we really need to see Interrupt and Concentration in there as well, because there are things that directly affect those results and don't show up on the weapon value. Most players probably don't even know what their base concentration is or by how much Resolve affects it.

sFU1fja.jpg

I think I've mentioned this before somewhere, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

• Like 15

Yeah, some tooltips would be nice to explain what we are looking at. I remember when playing Beta v392 and looking at this 6A6ktyJ.pngwithout any sort of tooltip I was thinking about developers telling me "Hey fellow gamer, here's some numbers! 42, 118, 87, over 9000s. Enjoy your numbers."

• Like 3

Yeah, some tooltips would be nice to explain what we are looking at. I remember when playing Beta v392 and looking at this 6A6ktyJ.pngwithout any sort of tooltip I was thinking about developers telling me "Hey fellow gamer, here's some numbers! 42, 118, 87, over 9000s. Enjoy your numbers."

Lightning Resistance and Corrode Resistance?

That said, it should list what it is and where it comes from. A lot of games really fail with the "where it comes from" part of tooltips, but it's really, really helpful in learning the rules and figuring out if something is or isn't working.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hey there,

I think these are good ideas, and I've had a similar thought for displaying a stat break down in a tool tip. The sad bit is that it will take significant work on the programmers' part to make it happen. It's very possible that it will show up in a post-release patch at some point, but as it stands the programmers have far more important tasks on their plate right now.

As for concentration and interrupt scores, I do have a task already to squeeze it in somewhere, so that should be coming soon. As a quick note, the mock up you have does not account for a weapon in the off-hand under damage and cases where you have more than 4 types of damage reduction values. (I believe I have to account for a total of 7 potential stats there) I'll figure something out, thanks for the ideas!
  • Like 7

Lightning Resistance and Corrode Resistance?

That said, it should list what it is and where it comes from. A lot of games really fail with the "where it comes from" part of tooltips, but it's really, really helpful in learning the rules and figuring out if something is or isn't working.

I am not sure if this is true in 392, but we do offer tooltips for these icons in the current build.

• Like 5

Cheers for the reply Kaz.

I'd recommend having a temporary tooltip with at least the name of the icon (eg. mouse over Deflection icon, and it says "Deflection", for newer players. Then it can always be expanded with the breakdowns later :)

edit: oh you just said that. Cool.

Are you still doing portraits? I've been enjoying Lindsey's work on the new ones.

edit 2: and yeah the mockup was just like 2 second mspaint job, just to demonstrate that those values would be useful. Fitting things in can be a pain, as I discovered in previous mockups xD Tetris game for sure.

Edited by Sensuki

Any chance we could get a ui for loot comparison similar to this? It doesn't have to be that big, but I like the fact it's easily identifiable it's armor, which is better, and it would be swell if as you hover over items in the inventory it could bring up a simple tool tip ui even if it were up and down arrows showing what is better. Maybe one item would have a green stroke around it if it's better and grey if it was worst?

reckoning-2013-05-19-02-52-00-17.jpg

Any chance we could get a ui for loot comparison similar to this? It doesn't have to be that big, but I like the fact it's easily identifiable it's armor, which is better, and it would be swell if as you hover over items in the inventory it could bring up a simple tool tip ui even if it were up and down arrows showing what is better. Maybe one item would have a green stroke around it if it's better and grey if it was worst?

reckoning-2013-05-19-02-52-00-17.jpg

What is that game?

Edited by BlueLion