I'm guessing it's related to the fact there's no ammunition in the game. Since you don't have stacks of arrows, it'd be weird to have stacks of daggers. And it would be just as weird if you never ran out of daggers.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Interesting, I didn't know that. I don't think its a technical problem since there are other range weapons in the game. Maybe it wasn't in the budget?

That might be the case since they likely require another set of animations. Perhaps they will make an appearance in the sequel?

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm guessing it's related to the fact there's no ammunition in the game. Since you don't have stacks of arrows, it'd be weird to have stacks of daggers. And it would be just as weird if you never ran out of daggers.

Eh, they could handwave that by calling them "returning" weapons.

If there is any consolation, you can throw weapons in scripted interactions (daggers, spears).

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Boomerang! ^_^

• Like 1

Boomerang! ^_^

Some of the most memorable weapons in BG2 and IWD2 were the "returning" type. BG2 had the boomerang dagger, firetooth, Azure Edge, and a few more. And Icewind Dale 2? Just about every weapon type had a magical throwing version. axes, daggers, darts, hammers. There was even a 2-handed axe and a halberd that could be thrown. And... a phantom quarterstaff with a 15m range. Good times!

That said, I'm not miffed about their absence in PoE. Since weapon-type variety is one of the few things this game does better than the IE games.

Edited by Stun

So no slingshots? Ah well...I shall miss them, a little. Not because they were awesome weapons, but because they weren't daggers, staves or bows.

I'm sure the mechanics/classes etc. will have stuff I'll like/use just as much in PoE, regardless. :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I actually recall Josh stating there were actually a couple of thrown weapons. I'll double-check the game files tomorrow and if I find any, I'll let you know (but obv, not allowed to show them).

Edited by Sensuki

Yeah, but then every throwing weapon in the game would be magical which is also weird.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

That's a good point but guns, bows and crossbows are already similarly "magic" (no ammo) so is it that big of a stretch?

Aside, I liked ammo in the IE games as you could get ammo that had different properties to damage or hit. Made it a little more interesting. Arrows of Detonation FTW!

• Like 1

Eh... It's easy for me to abstract always having ammo. Harder for me to abstract always having a weapon you litteraly throw away as you use it. But that's just me.

-Josh Sawyer

That's a good point but guns, bows and crossbows are already similarly "magic" (no ammo) so is it that big of a stretch?

Aside, I liked ammo in the IE games as you could get ammo that had different properties to damage or hit. Made it a little more interesting. Arrows of Detonation FTW!

Arrows of Detonation, Arrows of Dispelling, Acid Arrows, Piercing Arrows, Poison Arrows, and so on and so forth.

I really liked all the different kinds of ammunition in the IE games. I'm sad to see them go, likely because some consider ammunition an "inconveniance".

t50aJUd.jpg

Arrows of Detonation, Arrows of Dispelling, Acid Arrows, Piercing Arrows, Poison Arrows, and so on and so forth.

I really liked all the different kinds of ammunition in the IE games. I'm sad to see them go, likely because some consider ammunition an "inconveniance".

would make the PoE ranger stronger, special arrows restricted to rangers

would make the PoE ranger stronger, special arrows restricted to rangers

No reason to restrict them to rangers, though. As has been discussed in the ranger thread, the ranger is more than necessarily a master of the bow, and currently (rather sadly) actually does better in melee.

Also, PoE appears to largely support non-Class-exclusive equipment, so it'd be conceptually odd to suddenly restrict (rather arbitrarily) certain arrows to a certain class such as the ranger.

But special arrows would definitely help those that wants to specialize in ranged combat.

t50aJUd.jpg

No reason to restrict them to rangers, though. As has been discussed in the ranger thread, the ranger is more than necessarily a master of the bow, and currently (rather sadly) actually does better in melee.

Also, PoE appears to largely support non-Class-exclusive equipment, so it'd be conceptually odd to suddenly restrict (rather arbitrarily) certain arrows to a certain class such as the ranger.

But special arrows would definitely help those that wants to specialize in ranged combat.

yeah, i guess that’s true. I was also thinking of BG2’s Jan Jansen’s ability to make his monster blitzer bolts which could stun i think :)

For PoE, dunno. There’s crafting materials, there could be passive talent/ability called ‘making special arrows’ or something, it could be open to all classes or just for the ranger class, like he’d create special arrows on party resting so that he could carry up to let’s say 10 special arrows with him.

in many games you get unlimited normal ammo but limited special ammo. so you can shoot as many normal arrows as you like, but you only have the 5 fire arrows you found in a chest 

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

in many games you get unlimited normal ammo but limited special ammo. so you can shoot as many normal arrows as you like, but you only have the 5 fire arrows you found in a chest 

Well that's true in games these days, but going back to the classic days when the best you could hope for is remembering to buy enough stacks of xyz ammo when you were in a small town, then heading out into the wilderness.  All the old classic isometric rpg's it was a "buy ammo fest" especially on long hauls out to somewhere.  When you bought 60, plus 30-60 more for each of your ranged users.

I don't have a problem not having throwing darts or throwing hammers, etc in the game.  But that's a personal thing, because I never used it.  I was a fan of slings, bows, or simply smashing something in the face until it died.