Priests - Thoughts and Issues

Luckmann

Here are examples

Berath --> + 15/25 Accuracy, Resolve, Constitution + 1 Move Speed, + 5 defenses not covered by increased attributes, ability creates a chain of freeze, stunning and terrified effects in seal in shape of Ouroboros.

Eothas --> +15/25 Accuracy, Intellect, +2 Move Speed, + 5 defenses not covered by increased attributes, ability creates rays of light (cone) blinded, piercing and weakening enemies.

Magran--> +15/25 Accuracy, Might, Constitution + 1 Move Speed, +5 defenses not covered by increased attributes, ability creates a chain of effects burning, prone and hobbled.

Skaen --> +15/25, Might, Perception (less points here), + 1 Move Speed, + 5 defenses not covered by increased attributes, ability hobbled, sickened and corrode damage.

Wael --> +15/25 Accuracy, Resolve, Intellect, +1 Move Speed, +5 defenses not covered by increased attributes,  creates a seal in shape of eye paralyzed and take corrode/freeze damage).

It seems, at first glance, to look complex. And powerful. Though, I get the idea and it's interesting. It did get me thinking... different VFX color? Concecrated Ground on a Magranite being red, fiery, and on a Skaenite more corroded, green. VFX doesn't do anything statistically though~ but could be a nice little differenting flavor or aesthetic~

EDIT: Ooops double-post, I thought I was in edit mode, routine press "Post". Hm, oh well.

Well, I thought Incarnations could work as modal ability or aura (not necessery like druid spiritshift). Interesting with VFX color. I have never heard about that before. Incarnation of Berath could have some shadow aura around a priest, Eothasian light dust, Magranic some flame aura, Waelic (?) a mist and Skaenite a drops of blood (don't know how to show it, maybe blood red).

Edited by White Phoenix

There's also the method which I only briefly went through, which would give all Priests all spells, but at a different rate depending on Diety.

Eothas Example (Expand the "Spoilers", bottom Prayer is "replaced" with one of the higher or lower level):

1st level Spells

• Armor of Faith – All allies in the area gain bonus Damage Threshold.
  • Barbs of Condemnation – decreases the target's deflection, fortitude and reflexes.
  • Blessing – Increases all defenses of all allies in the area.
  • Halt – inflicts a single enemy with the affliction stuck for a short duration.
  • Holy Meditation – Increases the Concentration of nearby allies.
  • Prayer against Fear – Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Frightened or Terrified afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced.[4]
  • Restore Minor Stamina – Restores Stamina to all allies in the area.
  • Withdraw – Caster or ally is momentarily phased out (cannot act, cannot be targeted) and regenerates Stamina.
  • Iconic Projection – a slow moving energy ball that is healing allies and damaging enemies. (SECOND LEVEL PRAYER)

2nd level Spells

3rd level Spells

• Pillar of Faith – Does Crush damage to the target and knocks enemies Prone in a small area.
  • Watchful Presence – All affected allies gain an effect on them that will last until the end of combat or until triggered. When any affected character drops below 20% Stamina, Watchful Presence will heal a significant amount of Stamina on the character.
  • Warding Seal – If an enemy comes in contact with the seal it's explodes and deals shock damage.
  • Restore Moderate Stamina – Restores some Stamina to all allies in the area.
  • Prayer against Restraint – Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Hobbled or Stuck afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced by 10 seconds for Hobbled or 5 seconds for Stuck.
  • Despondent Blows – lowers enemies melee accuracy and critical hit rate in the area.
  • Divine Mark – Blasts the target with Burn damage and reduces their Deflection for a short duration. (SECOND LEVEL PRAYER)
  • Shining Beacon – enemies in the area gain a penalty to all defenses and accure burn damage over time. (FOURTH LEVEL PRAYER)

4th level Spells

• Prayer against Bewilderment – Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Dazed or Confused afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced.[4]
  • Baring Death's Door – ally is immune and regenerates stamina.
  • Devotions for the Faithful – Allies gain Might and Accuracy bonusses and enmies gain accuracy and Might penalties.
  • Restore Major Stamina – Restores some Stamina to all allies in the area.
  • Searing Seal – If an enemy comes in contact with the seal it's explodes and deals burn damage and blinds the enemy.
  • Dire Blessing – Increases critical hit rate for allies. (THIRD LEVEL PRAYER)
  • Pillar of Holy Fire – Summons a flaming pillar of righteous anger, Burning enemies in the area of effect (FIFTH LEVEL PRAYER)

5th Spell Level

• Revive the Fallen – Revives and restores a modest amount of Stamina to unconscious allies in a small area. This has no effect on characters who have already been Maimed or Killed in combat.
  • Champion's Boon – Grants a divine favor to an ally, imbuing him or her with a bonus to Might, Perception and all Damage Thresholds.
  • Restore Critical Stamina
  • Prayer Against Imprisonment – Instills a spirit of liberation in allies in the area of effect, granting a bonus against attacks with Paralyzed or Petrified afflictions and reducing the duration of any such afflictions currently on the target.
  • Shields for the Faithful – Conjures a powerful holy shield, granting a Deflection bonus to all allies in the area of effect.
  • Triumph of the Crusaders – Allies gain a bonus that restores Stamina every time they defeat an opponent. The ally must strike the "finishing" blow to gain the benefit. (FOURTH LEVEL PRAYER)
  • Minor Intercession – Calls upon the aid of the priest's god, restoring Stamina and reducing durations of negative effects for all allies in the area of effect. (SIXTH LEVEL PRAYER)

6th Spell Level

• Crowns for the Faithful – Increases the PerceptionIntellect, and Resolve of all allies in the area.
  • Cleansing Flame – Hurls a ball of holy fire at an enemy. It does continuous Burn damage to the target and reduces the duration of beneficial effects.
  • Prayer Against Treachery – Galvanizes the devotion of the party, granting bonuses against attacks with Charm or Dominate afflictions as well as reducing the duration of any such afflictions already on the target.
  • Spark the Souls of the Righteous – Ignites a powerful zeal within allies that manifests in an aura that Shocks any enemies near them.
  • Salvation of Time – Extends the duration of all beneficial effects on allies. (FIFTH LEVEL PRAYER)

First of all, why am I saying "Prayers" about the Priest Spells? I saw it on the Official Wikipedia in the description and it caught on, I think it sounds cooler as well.

Second, what have I exactly done in this concept? I've switched around the Prayer gain/progression. Naturally, this would be applied to each Diety. This way, each Priest following a specific Diety would progress differently, but would gain all the Prayers still.

This means a Eothas Priest could gain "Minor Intercession" at Prayer Level 5, whilst all the other Priest gains it at Prayer Level 6 (see?? "Prayer Level" rather than "Spell Level". Spell Level (Wizard), Chant or Phrase Level (Chanter), Psi-Level (Cipher), and Nature or Growth Level (Druid)?? :D :D *shrug* semantics :p)

Prayer or spell, that's a detail, but Prayer seems to have more atmosphere for priest roleplay. Okey, now I see what is going on. These are the same spell-- er prayers :) but in slightly different order for Eothas. Very good idea I like it, because it doesn't disturb a 'feel' of needed prayers, it avoids situation that other build of priest could be better than mine, like this: why Magran priest has so badass spells/prayers and mine are completely useless?

Edited by White Phoenix

The only issue I have with special spells for a diety, or special spell lists, is that it doesn't address the problem of "dead" levels. You still wouldn't be making a choice upon reaching the spell level in question.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Good point. There should be two abilities/prayers and talents for them. It would fill 'dead' levels.

Coming back to talents. It would be nice to extend number of weapons as Luckmann mentioned and rewrite special spells (but it's too late I feel).

What is the biggest issue for me - time of spell length. It is so short (even with high Resolve) that I have to cast the same spell all the time, because it stops working. Status effects last long time (there are many of them in combat) disproportionately to preventing prayers. What is 10 seconds in combat? Nothing. Don't understand this. In IE games status effects were rarely than in POE and last longer as preventing spells. I really miss Fear spell when you were running panicked. I was hoping to see that in POE.

Edited by White Phoenix

Good point. There should be two abilities/prayers and talents for them. It would fill 'dead' levels.

Coming back to talents. It would be nice to extend number of weapons as Luckmann mentioned and rewrite special spells (but it's too late I feel).

What is the biggest issue for me - time of spell length. It is so short (even with high Resolve) that I have to cast the same spell all the time, because it stops working. Status effects last long time (there are many of them in combat) disproportionately to preventing prayers. What is 10 seconds in combat? Nothing. Don't understand this. In IE games status effects were rarely than in POE and last longer as preventing spells. I really miss Fear spell when you were running panicked. I was hoping to see that in POE.

Why would it be too late to add? I don't really know how long these things take to implement but it seems like they could bust out enough before release in early spring

Why would it be too late to add? I don't really know how long these things take to implement but it seems like they could bust out enough before release in early spring

Josh said he will be looking at priests spells in the future (next patch possibly), but I don't expect he will do something big with them. If he makes more talents specific for each god (like with paladin orders) I will be satisfied.

BTW, why aren't there more deities to choose from?

There are 11 deities listed in the wiki, yet only 5 of the can have priests?

I think they'll have some impact on Eternity's plot (not only mechanic). Personally I prefer smaller number of deities that matter than 'one hundred' with no effect (like NWN2, only in Mask of Betrayer there some special dialogs for Ilmater and maybe Myrkul). I count on companions' reactions (one of them has a god that we can choose too). If you know lore well, you can see potential role-playing fields for each priest god. But I'm afraid of situation of one god having more or less impact than another (hard to say knowing nothing about plot). Fortunately there is also 'divine' reputation (each god prefers some traits of personality/behavior for priest) , it can help to avoid feeling of 'my god matters not', because in conversations we often develop our reputation/traits. I can say it really helps to feel role-play on basic level.

I hope they fix the priest specific talents as well. Currently, the only one Ive found that feels any good is the Skaen one. Making a dual wielding stiletto priest with sneak attack is fun. None of the others feel as good.

Edited by Shevek
  • Like 2

Yeah it is fun isn't it. Feels like a Rogue with priest spells.

So far I haven't seen many Fighter talents either. I've seen one for Constant Recovery and Defender, but that's it so far.

Edited by Sensuki

BTW, why aren't there more deities to choose from?

There are 11 deities listed in the wiki, yet only 5 of the can have priests?

There are likely several reasons. For example:

• Not all deities may actually be that relevant in the region that the game takes place.
  • You would have to account for Deity-specific aspects (mechanically, right now, that's just a Talent each, but it is possible they originally planned more, or want to expand upon it).
  • They may tie into the plot (or sub-plots) to one degree or another, whereas other gods doesn't (or maybe they originally planned for it to have a bigger impact, but couldn't deliver, and originally wanted there to be the kind of effects that are notably absent in the discussion of Skaen priest(s)).

And so on.

Look at Forgotten Realms for reference. In any game that let's you choose deity with a relevant effect, there is just no way they offer ever near the full number of available (lore-wise) deities.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Can't believe that I missed this thread.  While I believe large changes to priests are unlikely at this point, I hope that more deity-focused spells make it into the game (via expansion, mod, etc).  

I hope they fix the priest specific talents as well. Currently, the only one Ive found that feels any good is the Skaen one. Making a dual wielding stiletto priest with sneak attack is fun. None of the others feel as good.

I'll need to give this a try tonight.