The PE IE Mod Thread - Draggable UI Now Available!

Sensuki

First- I HAVE TO REPEAT THIS--- Placing the log in the middle makes a big difference. It it so much better. Thanks

Another "bug" -ish thing- though... :

I check the "Disable excessive highlighting" button. In game the ingredients you can normally see with the -TAB is no longer showing. I found them in a little pixelhunt, and it is easy to turn the function on/off... But it would be better to fix, so that ingredients always are highlighted :) ?? Or making some options, of what should and shouldn't be hihghlighted??

Edited by Cluas
  • Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

Yeah I reported that to Bester, my intention was that only unit highlighting was to be disabled.

And yep

Placing the log in the middle makes a big difference. It it so much better.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 9

First- I HAVE TO REPEAT THIS--- Placing the log in the middle makes a big difference. It it so much better. Thanks

Another "bug" -ish thing- though... :

I check the "Disable excessive highlighting" button. In game the ingredients you can normally see with the -TAB is no longer showing. I found them in a little pixelhunt, and it is easy to turn the function on/off... But it would be better to fix, so that ingredients always are highlighted :) ?? Or making some options, of what should and shouldn't be hihghlighted??

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I'll correct it in the next version.

• Like 5
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I feel pretty confident in saying that the devs will not explore our suggestions unless QA recommends it as well. If QA is happy with the log on the right and do not see a reason for customizable UI- well, I don't think it's something we're going to get even if it is the one thing we all seem to be in unanimous support of...

Those are my thoughts too. That's what happened when I complained about Dexterity being useless. They just said that QA likes it. Funny thing is that it was actually bugged and the Action Speed bonus wasn't applying properly so ...

• Like 4

No idea, but NCarver is a bro for replying to my bug reports  :thumbsup:

I also think they're pretty much feature locked now. Aside from the odd talent or ability, nothing new will be added to the game from now on. It's just a general project management thing.

I'd probably start working on your "what I want to see in a patch or expansion" wishlists.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

My wish list is mostly that they are willing to admit their mistakes and fix them, of course depending that the things I think are mistakes really turn out to be mistakes.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Well both inXile and Larian have been very good about this. inXile have some sh1tty systems (armor, imbalanced gun skills etc) and Larian have serious balance issues with the second half of the game, and the companions are slapdash/poorly implemented, among other things. I really do hope Obsidian follow suit post-release, especially with gameplay-related stuff.

I'm also trying my best to find any big issues that I can, and report them. Today I think I found a big problem with damage calculation, but I need to confirm it with the devs.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

NCarver is a boss, but considering the time he spends in the bug forums I'd be surprised if he can find time to read through all these threads, too. 

I, too, hope OE the post release support their peers are doing. That's been really nice. I'd also be ok with waiting for new designs to be implemented in the expansion. 

@Sensuki

Considering you probably have the best (In my opinion anyway) perspective on what things would be awesome for post release support, and you seem to have more clout with the powers that be than anyone else perhaps you could start a wish list thread at some point for post release?

I did think it was pretty odd that their QA thought dex was doing something when it wasnt. These are the folks they listened to when they up and decided to change the entire armor system because they were confused by dt vs dr. I dunno about basing design decisions on feedback from those folks...

I definitely do not think QA was confused by DT and DR. They knew about it before we did. I am not sure where they got that info from, it could have possibly been from youtube.

edit: I know that one person who is on these forums names their PE vids in a fashion that they show up near the top of the Pillars of Eternity youtube search when they go up, and that person did not understand how armor works and repeated it every video, so ...

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

I definitely do not think QA was confused by DT and DR. They knew about it before we did. I am not sure where they got that info from, it could have possibly been from youtube.

edit: I know that one person who is on these forums names their PE vids in a fashion that they show up near the top of the Pillars of Eternity youtube search when they go up, and that person did not understand how armor works and repeated it every video, so ...

:grin:

I have only seen two of his videos, and he seemed awfully uninformed for someone trying to inform others.

Edited by Lychnidos

Yeah, strange, well I tried to quit completely, and made a new game. Save-buttons couldn't be clicked. Loaded, typed bb in the console.... Nothing happened, no menu at all... Quit the game completely, started up again, loaded, and it worked!!!

Very strange, but wth, I made it work :)

Same thing happened to me.

I also had to reload the game entirely to make the UI mod work.

• Like 1

Stuff like this makes me want to bury my face in my hands and just cry.

t50aJUd.jpg

You got some nice points in that video.  I agree that the combat log should be at the left side or the center. Its not a deal breaker or anything if its where it is now.  

Maybe its me but I think that the spell interface should be at the bottom center of the screen somehow. its just more natural cast spells. The spell icons are really tiny on my screen.  I would prefer if its a tad bigger. 

They really need to do something about that center console. I know you can hide it and all but its really unattractive the way it is now. I think that should be change so it appears as a clock/compass with a little tab to reveal the buttons. move it to upper right corner. 

I also dislike the character creation screen.   The character model  should be smaller to fit better with the theme. I would change it so its more like the old IE games where the character portrait and class description overtake the 3d model.  Small rant: I hope they change the spell selection screen (during character creation or level up). The Icons are once again TINY.

I hope we get more ui updates soon.

Edited by ryukenden

I was quite disappointed when I saw the default UI. This mod looks like a great start but until I can have my party portraits vertically I won't be truly happy.

Here's the thing, my screen is wider than it is high & I suspect I'm not alone in this. Therefore I'm more willing to give up space at the sides than I am space at the top or bottom.

I'm an avid WoW player and love the mod community and awesome customisability of the interface that has come out of that. I don't want this game to be like WoW but I'd love it's interface to have some of that flexibility. I also fondly remember (well, not 'remember' per-sé 'cause I'm still playing them) the BG/BG2 interface which looked (though not always acted) like I felt an interface for this sort of game should.

I'd also "borrow" the quick-spell menu from NWN2 which was excellent.

Crit happens

If their QA is anything like the QA folks I work with, then this game is doomed.

If their QA is anything like what they had on previous games, then we are doomed. Bugsidian was not given to them for no reason.

Normally I don't respond to comments like this, but that is a pretty uninformed statement. QA is just one part of the overall process and, as bizarre as it sounds, they don't typically have final say over what bugs get fixed. It is pretty rare, in my experience, that a game goes out with bugs that QA didn't report. Most of the time the development team just runs out of time/money and the publisher decides to push the game forward.

There are some studios that empower QA with more responsibility (as in, they can completely stop a game release if they don't sign off), but that isn't the norm from what I have seen/heard.

Point being that you can't usually just point to one person or department as the cause of all of the ills of a project.

• Like 10

If their QA is anything like the QA folks I work with, then this game is doomed.

If their QA is anything like what they had on previous games, then we are doomed. Bugsidian was not given to them for no reason.

Normally I don't respond to comments like this, but that is a pretty uninformed statement. QA is just one part of the overall process and, as bizarre as it sounds, they don't typically have final say over what bugs get fixed. It is pretty rare, in my experience, that a game goes out with bugs that QA didn't report. Most of the time the development team just runs out of time/money and the publisher decides to push the game forward.

There are some studios that empower QA with more responsibility (as in, they can completely stop a game release if they don't sign off), but that isn't the norm from what I have seen/heard.

Point being that you can't usually just point to one person or department as the cause of all of the ills of a project.

OK that is true. But you got a bad reputation in gaming circles and now a chance to fix it. If you say there were more guilty parties in past for it, now you control all those parties. Prove the gaming community wrong with this game. Edited by archangel979

To be fair, some of those were because of the media - not because Obsidian's games were overly buggier than anyone else's. RockPaperSh1tgun jumped on that bandwagon pretty hard.

NWN2 was very buggy. So was Kotor 2. So was Alpha Protocol. So was FNV (well I read it was, I only played it after it was fully patched).

I read DS3 and South Park were much better.

And it is not just bugs. Unfinished parts of those games are also part of the reputation. Like how Kotor 2 was.

Edited by archangel979