The PE IE Mod Thread - Draggable UI Now Available!

Sensuki

Also yeah just as a reminder. If you're going to be doing any bug reporting, make sure you flip your Assembly-CSharp.dll file back to the original.

I often find bugs when using the mod, but just in case I change back to vanilla (as it could be a bug with the mod). All bugs have been easily reproduced with the stock .dll, but just in case, you should always do it. The devs have released a few warnings about it as they don't want their time to be wasted looking for bugs that aren't in the base game.

• Like 6

Will the mod work for linux/mac?

Hm. When the mod starts coming out in form of a patcher, it might patch the linux/mac assembly correctly. Until then, since I don't have macos/linux, you can send me a macos/linux assembly, I'll patch it for you and we'll see.

Just so you know, Bester has patched the OSX dll file without going through any UNIX/WINDOWS code differences and see if it works out of the box.

And it all seems to work fine :) 

... except for the draggable UI. I could see the custom buttons using the console, but they did not do anything. I suggested to Bester that he doesn't try to fix it before the game is released though (not sure he intended to anyway :p ) as things might still change quite a bit UI-wise (hopefully).

How much better is it with the log on the left, can actually read it now. Middle is even better, but the UI elements are difficult to position around it with 6 portraits.

Place portraits on top of the action bar(s) and then just drag the whole log from left to middle? A proper nice and wide log would be awesome.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hey Bester. I can do solid UI artwork. Others have seen my work here before, but we can chat up a design and maybe get this in?

I'm thinking we can just copy the ie type solid UI. Let's chat.

Sure, add me on steam. However I'm not sure I want to do solid UI until I see what Obsidians come up with. And I'm not sure the IE type solid UI would look well, considering that we're now in the wide screen era and the log would be too wide, and action bars in poe are different from how they were in IE games. A few things would have to change.

Sounds good brother. Let's hold off then. In the meantime, let me know if you need any artwork stuff done with your mods (which are AMAZING BTW) and I'll be more than glad to help. I'll add you on steam when I get on.

I sort of wish they'd finalize the UI stuff now so that I can start reworking it LOL :D I know they've got a ton of stuff to do but I'm the same way - I don't really want to start messing with UI and draggable stuff until afterwards. I too hate the Right-handed Combat log so I'm itching to get my hands on this.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 6

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Quantics also had custom buttons that were unresponsive, but after exiting to main menu and reloading, it worked ok. Try that. Don't know why it happens sometimes to some people.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Yeah, strange, well I tried to quit completely, and made a new game. Save-buttons couldn't be clicked. Loaded, typed bb in the console.... Nothing happened, no menu at all... Quit the game completely, started up again, loaded, and it worked!!!

Very strange, but wth, I made it work :)

Edited by Cluas
  • Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

I played 5 minutes with the log in the middle, so much better :o

-.... And I also like those IE options, yeah like @Sansuki says, I like to use 'circles always' and it's great to have the options to turn all kinds of stuff on/off...

Thanks for the good, hard work @Bester ;)

• Like 3

UFWDJRj.jpg

I played 5 minutes with the log in the middle, so much better shocked.gif

It's *definitely* the best position, because you can quickly flick your eyes down to read a line and then back up, in a very comfortable shift of focus. Moving your vision to the left or right of a 23-27" Widescreen monitor isn't the most 'comfortable' thing to do.

The combat log was designed to be optional, and as much effort as possible was put into the UI so that people could play with as minimalistic UI as possible - at the cost of the functionality of the actual UI elements, which is a bit contrary to what they said they were going to do.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 6

This looks like a mandatory mod for me especially getting rid of that ludicrous engagement mechanic.

Maybe someone could mod wizards and magic in this game to make it worth a crap.

I would prefer it if Obsidian would focus on fixing it rather than getting rid of it, but at this point, I'm not getting my hopes up. I think this is the first game ever, where I'm actually going like "I'm going to have to wait for mods before my first playthrough can even start", and it.. doesn't feel right.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

This looks like a mandatory mod for me especially getting rid of that ludicrous engagement mechanic.

I would prefer it if Obsidian would focus on fixing it rather than getting rid of it, but at this point, I'm not getting my hopes up. I think this is the first game ever, where I'm actually going like "I'm going to have to wait for mods before my first playthrough can even start", and it.. doesn't feel right.

I'm not sure that's fair. If, say, the final product comes out and you spend 20 minutes playing and find yourself saying, "No! This is icky bad! No good! Engagement bad!" or however you talk to your computer then totally, mod away. I'm a proponent of everyone trying the vanilla version of the game for at least a little while, then if it's unplayable for you mod it.

At least give the game a chance, ya'll!

• Like 2

I'm not sure that's fair. If, say, the final product comes out and you spend 20 minutes playing and find yourself saying, "No! This is icky bad! No good! Engagement bad!" or however you talk to your computer then totally, mod away. I'm a proponent of everyone trying the vanilla version of the game for at least a little while, then if it's unplayable for you mod it.

At least give the game a chance, ya'll!

I am of course judging it off of the beta here, right now. As it stands, they could still end up changing things, at which point I'll obviously revisit my stance, but as I said, I'm not really getting my hopes up.

t50aJUd.jpg

I just want folks to simmer down on how feature x will render the game unplayable. 

No it will not make the game unplayable. It might just not be optimal for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for mods. I'll probably use the Bestuki mod(s) myself when I eventually get around to playing on a higher difficulty. It just bugs me that people are making judgments on an unfinished, small content section of the game. I don't mean to single you out Luckmann (I tend to find you to be a reasonable person which is not common here), but a lot of folks seem to have this attitude.

Considering the only person the devs have been talking to lately is Sensuki, we don't really know what direction they're taking things. We simply don't have enough nearly enough info to say engagement is going to make combat too much of a gimmicky mess. I say this because look at the evolution of "combat feel" over the last few builds. They've been making pretty dramatic changes for each backer build. 

I'm worried how it's all gonna turn out, too. I paid a lot of money for this game, and it would be extra devastating for me to not like it. I maintain that our best hopes are to have reasonable conversations about what needs help and pray to Feargus that someone is actively taking what we say under advisement. 

• Like 3

I don't think Engagement alone will force me to mod the game before playing it but there are a lot of little things. If game is not improved a lot by release I doubt I will even play it for months until either OE or modders fix it. Which is not a big problem as I will probably be playing rebalanced Wasteland 2.

Also rebalanced Divinity: Original Sin is on the way. PoE can wait for summer or so.

I just don't plan to credit OE for making a game others need to fix afterwards.

To be fair, lots of things in PoE are improvements on IE formula (like resting limits, and more interesting abilities for melee) but overall package seems to be not there yet.

And it makes me sad when modders need to create things like movable UI when players have been screaming for a way to move combat log from right side of the screen since summer.

I don't know if OE don't have enough manpower, or bad team managers, or just don't understand anything but it does not look good for now. I hope they prove me wrong. I have been waiting too long for a game of BG1/BG2 quality and PoE is not there yet.

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

Guise, don't get your hopes too high when you think "yo dawg on release day ONE I'll mod engagement and friendly fire out of the game fo sho".

Lots of spells and game mechanics will rely on engagement, and lots of spells will have some friendly fire.

Just saying. Modding these out (thus modifying spells and game mechanics) could take from a lot to a LOT of time (or maybe be impossible), so be prepared to possibly wait for a couple months.

Which made me think, maybe the dev team could make it so that most of the engagement and friendly fire code could be modularized and isolated in one single place of the codebase, so it would be easier to mod it out. Might please everybody.

Edited by Rumsteak

Well, I'll be keeping engagement on but I still find the other aspects of this mod useful. I havent tried to mod much yet but I hope it isnt too hard. The easier it is, the more likely that more folks will add to the game as folks here have done. I made lots of little balance mods for myself when replaying the IE games (custom kits, balancing, item mods, etc) but that was because of the ease of using mod tools like NearInfinity (or a simple text editor on 2das, etc). Unity doesnt look nearly as straight forward.

Personally, I'd like to be able to make custom classes (for an alternative ranger class or maybe a multiclassing mod, etc).

The Engagement mod will not be ready for use immediately. Currently it's just an experimental feature for testing purposes. There are still many AI, animation and pathfinding glitches that make playing without it a bit silly and many abilities, talents and items that also need to be changed so that those are not trap choices with the mod.