To the Development Team

rf5111918

Core gameplay isn't going to change much anymore, although bug fixing and balancing can sometimes appears as major improvement even if everything still work the same.

Lets hope this is true and lets hope OE surprises us. Afterall InXile did implement new features and made big changes between last beta and release version.

Core gameplay isn't going to change much anymore, although bug fixing and balancing can sometimes appears as major improvement even if everything still work the same.

Lets hope this is true and lets hope OE surprises us. Afterall InXile did implement new features and made big changes between last beta and release version.

And kept improving the game months after release, and got quite good reviews despite not initially having a lot of late game bugs ironed out (though now they are.)

Edited by forgottenlor

And kept improving the game months after release, and got quite good reviews despite not initially having a lot of late game bugs ironed out (though now they are.)

I expect for PoE to get better than 86% positive score on Steam. WL2 shot themselves in the foot with all those bugs. Good thing for WL2 was that to see most of those bugs you needed to spend 50h playing the game already :D Edited by archangel979

Some of my thoughts on a beta that the public in general can read.  

I think OE was very brave to make this so public.  Feedback from a beta tends to be negative because the testers are looking for bugs, for things that do not work the way they should.     Most betas are done in secrecy with the testers sworn to not post publicly about what they have played in order to avoid spoilers.

Even though the BB contain no actual spoilers the postings of the testers may be confusing to the casual game player.   The BB has been called a demo which it is not.

• Like 3

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

It would be nice if whole "spiritual successor to IE games" thing was less muzzy around its "spiritual" part. Some people seems to have contradicting images of what that actually means and what degree of similarity with predecessors is enough for PoE to go. Well, as Nakia keeps repeating, you can't please everyone. Especially preliminary sceptical ones who have their opinions already built up and solid.

• Like 1

Speaking post-release, I hope Obsidian is more willing to revisit mechanical issues that aren't necessarily bugs than InXile appears to be. I think they are hesitant to revisit balance and set mechanics because it would alter gameplay in one way or another, which might "interfere" with people's gaming experience or change their set assumptions (such as everyone knowing that Assault Rifles are superior to everything in Wasteland 2).

But I think that modern audiences as a whole are actually more forgiving in those regards, having grown accustomed to relatively big updates or game changes, DLCs and whatnot, and are more likely to respond favourably to positive gameplay changes than maintaining questionable mechanics in the interest of consistency.

PoE will be a much more polished experience than WL2.

We'll see. Obsidian doesn't have inXile's budget.

Pillars of Eternity raised more than Wasteland 2, no? Or did your point just fly over my head? Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Mmm. I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else but someone said that they preferred newer games to the Infinity Engine games or something. I think the lot of us that prefer the Infinity Engine games to any other RTwP game are pretty unforgiving regarding gameplay elements in other games.

The only Obsidian game I have actually completed is Knights of the Old Republic 2, I just can't stand the combat/gameplay in any of the others to warrant even trying again. Most of their games have been with someone else's combat gameplay engine (KotOR, NWN, F:NV). Have not played Stick of Truth, but I don't like South Park.

This game still has several problems that make the combat gameplay a bit on the unenjoyable side for me, but I'm hoping that if they can fix a lot of the glaring pathfinding, AI and animation glitches - mods will take me the rest of the way.

Pillars of Eternity raised more than Wasteland 2, no? Or did your point just fly over my head?

Through the Kickstarter it did. Wasteland 2's actual budget was like 6 Million. They got a lot of early access sales, sales from their other titles (Bard's Tale 4 or whatever) and Brian Fargo chipped in like $1M of his own money (yep).

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

I don't know how "forgiving" modern game players are.  To be redundant again the average age of game players is now in the thirties which means that many have been playing games since the nineties.  

Sensuki beat me to it :)

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

It could have done better. They mucked up their Localization (or well, maybe mismanaged/picked some of the wrong outsourcing companies) and there were game breaking bugs in Act 2, due to backers not having access to test it.

The RPGCodex has a WL2 forum that probably has the most info on it outside of the official forums.

They also got knocked off the steam top seller list by Shadow of Mordor after less than a week, whereas there were no AAA titles released anywhere near Divinity: Original Sin.

However it still sold pretty good IIRC.

Edited by Sensuki

According to EuroGamer:

"Wasteland 2 has made more than $1.5m in revenue in four days on sale.

That's a significant take for the independent game, which had a budget of around $6m - "we put in twice as much money into this game than we raised from Kickstarter", Brian Fargo, head of developer inXile, told us.

Incidentally, Wasteland 2's success follows the strong performance of another Kickstarter success story earlier this year: Divinity: Original Sin. Developer Larian revealed sales of more than 500,000 copies earlier this month - a figure that securely paves the way for a prosperous future."

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Speaking post-release, I hope Obsidian is more willing to revisit mechanical issues that aren't necessarily bugs than InXile appears to be. I think they are hesitant to revisit balance and set mechanics because it would alter gameplay in one way or another, which might "interfere" with people's gaming experience or change their set assumptions (such as everyone knowing that Assault Rifles are superior to everything in Wasteland 2).

But I think that modern audiences as a whole are actually more forgiving in those regards, having grown accustomed to relatively big updates or game changes, DLCs and whatnot, and are more likely to respond favourably to positive gameplay changes than maintaining questionable mechanics in the interest of consistency.

You must have missed the part where InXile have been saying for 1 month that after last patch they are working on a complete overhaul of systems and balance. They will be changing how weapons/armor work, skills and stats and balancing encounters around this. Maybe even more. It is also expected they will add more areas into the game and possible maybe even more aimed shot options. Mod tools are also coming.

Yeah inXile have been pretty br0 about the bad design decisions in their game. They fully admit to them and are working on fixing them.

Larian have also been really good about theirs as well, with a full Enhanced Edition or whatever coming (free, too).

Hopefully Obsidian follows the same route.

In my book InXile is currently best group of developers out there trailed very closely by Larian Studios. Obsidian still has a lot to prove.

I wouldn't judge "best group of developers" based on their latest two games. I haven't played Larian Studios Divinity: Original Sin yet, but most everything before have been meh at best, and while InXile's Wasteland 2 is really great, their earlier titles were.. well, I understand that they had to take jobs to survive, but let's just say that there's not much to go on.

Meanwhile, Obsidian's chief issue throughout the years seem to always have been an inability to completely finish what they set out to finish, and working on other people's IP:s. But the actual stuff that they actually did they did really well.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

In my book InXile is currently best group of developers out there trailed very closely by Larian Studios. Obsidian still has a lot to prove.

I wouldn't judge "best group of developers" based on their latest two games. I haven't played Larian Studios Divinity: Original Sin yet, but most everything before have been meh at best, and while InXile's Wasteland 2 is really great, their earlier titles were.. well, I understand that they had to take jobs to survive, but let's just say that there's not much to go on.

Meanwhile, Obsidian's chief issue throughout the years seem to always have been an inability to completely finish what they set out to finish, and working on other people's IP:s. But the actual stuff that they actually did they did really well.

That is the only way to judge developers, on their latest work. Bioware is prime example how past greatness means ****.

InXile made both awesome WL2 and so far TToN seems to be progressing well. Larian made D:OS that is a surprise of the year and plans to continue expanding it and making new games in that awesome engine.

Obsidian made Dungeon Siege 3 and Alpha Protocol. They also made South Park which I didn't play as I am not a huge fan of that combat or the show. And they made FNV recently which I am sure fine to fans of Betsheda engines, it is much worse than F1 and F2.

Edited by archangel979