To the Development Team

rf5111918

People were saying that it was simply our CHOICE not to join in the Beta-discussions.

I simply came to tell that no, that's not our *choice*, it's because we simply cannot, not having access to said beta.

So you're claiming that since July, you haven't spent 20$ on anything nonessential? In all honesty. If you're that poor, I'm surprised you'd go and buy a video game with your very limited budget.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 1

People were saying that it was simply our CHOICE not to join in the Beta-discussions.

I simply came to tell that no, that's not our *choice*, it's because we simply cannot, not having access to said beta.

But those are two different things. Having acccess to the beta and participating in beta discussion(s) are two completely different things.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hokay, I think it unfair to judge what others can or cannot do or afford.   Shall we shut people up because for what ever reason they did not pledge to get chance to play the Backer beta/  I was fortunate to have some extra cash to make the pledge I did and it certainly wasn't to be able to play the Backer beta it was because I wanted the stronghold.  :)     Please let's not get personal.    No one should have to justify why they did or did not do something.

I am off now for a blood test and to do some other personal errands I hope we can all be friendly and recognize that we all want this game as soon as possible in a good playable condition.  

• Like 4

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the mix about POE.
I love where the game is going. I am a big supporter of the game. I love the direction that Josh and Adam is taking the game. 
The game is going to be great. 

I really, really hope the developers don't think that the posts on the Obsidian Forums are representative of the majority of the Kickstarter backers of the game. There's a small vocal minority that seems to post on the forums. I think the majority of the backers are supportive of the game, have busy lives, and they are just waiting to play it when it comes out. 

I backed the game a while ago, and I am relatively busy working. I know the game is going to come out months from now. It's going to take time for everything to come together.
Therefore, it's not productive, for me personally, to post every day on the forums, because I am busy daily and I don't have anything to complain about. I don't have any negative feedback to give. 
I really enjoy RPGs but I am not obsessed with them to the point where I am going to hack the game to look at game assets or start stalking which developers/voice actors/artists/programmers joined or left the project or make daily Youtube videos on gameplay.

I trust Josh and Adam. I know they are going to make an awesome game based on the updates. 

All the complaining on the forums, in my opinion, is such rubbish. I honestly just don't care about the minutiae of damage calculations and realtime vs turn-based combat which seems to just go on and on in the forums. It's the equivalent of beating a dead horse. 

The game is in great hands. Josh strikes me as an extremely, extremely passionate and smart developer. Obsidian has a great track record of turning out amazing RPGs. The team will take care of the details and the bugs. 
I don't think it's right for me to try to micromanage or tell Josh and the development team what to do. They know WAY more about making games than I do. I trust them to make the right decisions. Granted, when the Beta came out, things were a little rough around the edges, but that has all been fixed or is in the process of being fixed. 

Long story short, the game is going to be awesome. Supporters probably don't post more because they see the game is heading in the right direction and that there isn't really anything to complain about. 

One last thing. I really, really hope the development team doesn't get sidetracked trying to please everyone about the game. 
Some of the posters are, in my opinion, perhaps looking for their marbles???
Nothing is going to satisfy them.
Josh has a specific vision for how the game should turn out and I would hate to see it compromised by people armchair quarterbacking in the forums. The development of POE should not turn into something out of the "Pentagon Wars".

I am confident that POE will be an awesome game!

Someone give this person a medal!  So much this I wish I could like a post more then once!

In re the cost, I at least feel I've gotten more than my twenty bucks' worth from the BB. It's been fascinating to follow first-hand how this kind of thing takes shape. 

Also I've learned to play IWD properly. That's gotta be worth more than that.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

In re the cost, I at least feel I've gotten more than my twenty bucks' worth from the BB. It's been fascinating to follow first-hand how this kind of thing takes shape.

Also I've learned to play IWD properly. That's gotta be worth more than that.

Can anyone point me out to the Official Communty Approved Grognard's Manual on how to PROPERLY play Icewind Dale?

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Can anyone point me out to the Official Communty Approved Grognard's Manual on how to PROPERLY play Icewind Dale?

Not sure if there is one.

Thing is, there were things about IWD (and the other IE games) that I formerly found extremely frustrating and un-fun, whereas now I find them fun. I also had a much easier time of it.

The main thing I learned was that you're not supposed to hold a line. That it's all about tactical movement rather than tactical positioning. I still prefer games based on tactical positioning, but I can now appreciate tactical movement and enjoy the IE games for what they are.

I.e., if you, like I was, are playing these games by advancing carefully to a choke point, holding it, and using ranged attacks to get at high-value targets, and are finding the experience frustrating rather than fun, then you're doing it wrong. Instead, try moving forward aggressively, sending a powerful melee unit to hit the high-value targets, and using the rest of the party to support him and protect your squishies.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Generally speaking, I found the sweet spot at mid levels (7-10).

When things got tough, I cheesed monster summoning and used the entangle/spiderweb and fireball/cloudkill combos along with missiles weapons.

Hated, hated the drudgery that was high level mage battles that became counter spell tedium. I'm proficient but it wasn't fun as it became too mechanical.

Other than that, I just preferred to freestyle my way through for 16 years, trying different tactics for the hell of it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

My secret weapon in many circumstances my halfling rogue.    :)  She could sneak in where others couldn't go, lure minions out to be slaughtered often one by one.  I will leave the others to explain how to take out the big bosses. 

nakia_banner.jpg

I don't have any specific problems. As I said, I'm proficient at the IE games --having played them for 16 years. Just interested in different tactics and what the word is on optimal strategeries after PJ's statements.

I only resort to cheese tactics for when I absolutely have to.

That being said, I'll try out the reactive playstyle on future play throughs. Getting off topic, and I see the other IWD thread now.

Obsidian rules!

Pulling enemies one by one isn't a particularly fun way to play either IMO. Also feels cheesy.

Hm, maybe Josh has a point in wanting to eliminate these exploits and force people to play it so it's fun... :devil:

Balderdash, I had a lot of fun with it and why is it cheesy?  I would do it  in real life so why not in fantasy.  I am after all a rogue not a paladin. :devil:

edit:  Josh can try but if my party isn't in engament yet I will still give it a try.  For me it is fun.

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg

If you had fun then that's great. I find playstyles that require meticulous micro-management tedious. 

As to cheesy, it is IMO because it's exploiting a problem in the AI (units not alerting each other when going aggro). Like kiting.

Different view points and different play styles which is what makes forums like this interesting.  Hmm let me put  it this way.  The only god I follow is Sheogorath, the mad god, the god of chaos.  The god of poets and creative folk.  my motto - Live long and survive, fight dirty if you need to - I am small, weigh about 130 pounds and am a woman and my mother taught me a few nasty tricks.  :cat:  Dost thou get the picture?

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

Do you have a specific concern about something being changed?

You know most of my concerns.  Engagement could be improved, I feel the stats are still poorly designed and not logical, lot of class balance tweaks, blah blah.  All I am saying is despite all the reservations about say engagement that exist if they shipped the game with the system more or less as it is now I wouldn't be overly upset or feel like the game is "screwed" because of it.

My main worry at this point is sweeping class balance or heavy mechanics changes.  I think it is pretty close to that magical sweet spot now and any 50% change (JSawyer TM all rights reserved) may do more harm than good at this point.

And my message to dev team is to take your heads out of sand and start implementing best suggestions of the community or this game will never be more than good (at best).

Do you want to make an excellent game or are you happy with just mediocre?

Do you want people to still be talking about your game in 17 years and compairing it with any new game or are you happy to just have a play and forget game like NWN2?

IE games put excellent gameplay first and rest second. And all the little details are what then made it stand out more (morale checks, lightning during storms, weapons breaking, being able to finish quests with stealth or pickpocket, being a jerk but still having enough xp by killing to finish the game, all the little secrets and hidden things and so on).