Keyrock

I don't see our What's For Dinner thread from before, at least not on the first 2 pages, so I'm starting a new one.

Over the weekend I made cheesesteaks for watching playoff football and rasslin' (Wrestle Kingdom 9).  I sauteed some mushrooms and peppers in a deep covered pan for a few minutes on low heat along with the sauce, a combination of worcestershire, ketchup, and a dash of hot sauce.  Then I tossed in sliced roast beef.  Over time I turned up the heat, eventually to medium at the end.  I pan fried the goods until the peppers just started to break down, the edges of the roast beef started to get crispy, and the sauce was carmelizing.  In the meantime I toasted up bread with entirely too much cheese (provolone, because that's how I roll).  While that's by no means an "official" cheesesteak recipe (anyone reading this from Philadelphia is probably giving me a scornful look right now), it was oh so delicious.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Kept it simple since it's a regular workday - meat & potatoes. Fried potato wedges in a skillet with some chives, sweetened and boiled some chopped carrots and grilled a piece of chicken filet and dumped some peppercorn sauce on it - the sauce came from a jar, but it was still tasty as hell.

What is your favorite  cheese and do you enjoy the cheese that comes from your country? It must be awesome living in the Netherlands and being able to eat Old Amsterdam or  living in the UK and getting 5 year old mature Cheddar. You Europeans are so lucky 

I am crazy about cheese and have spent years eating and learning about them, I love blue cheese like Stilton, Roquefort and Gorgonzola. Also there are some excellent blue cheeses that come from Germany and Denmark. 

I make an excellent Cheese Fondu using proper Swiss cheeses like Gruyere and Appenzeller.  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's winter, which means when I'm lazy, I'm the occasional master of Top Ramen ("Oriental" flavor is the most neutral), because for some reason I still don't like canned soups. It's that canned flavor, yeech.

The secret is you have to let it sit a while, so the noodles get soft instead of having that dried cheap noodle texture. Plus add a bit of leftover meat, mushrooms/vegies, peppers and other spices (I only use half the "flavor packet" that comes with, it's too salty otherwise). So bring to a boil, simmer for 3-5 minutes, turn off heat, let it sit in the pot with lid on for another 10 minutes. My husband actually eats my Top Ramen and he usually hates instant soup/noodle stuff. Go figure.

But mostly, I just buy the wonton soup from the local Chinese place. :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Talking about Cheese the Americans have now become the worlds biggest producer of Cheese, they have surpassed  the French as the traditional cheese masters

You can get some amazing Cheeses in the USA, especially from dairy states like Wisconsin. In fact you can also get a 30 year cheddar from Wisconsin, its horribly expensive but imagine how amazing it must taste :dancing:

http://www.today.com/food/say-cheese-40-year-old-cheddar-sale-wisconsin-972745

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm sure my husband would love that cheddar. I'd get him a few ounces if I could. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's winter, which means when I'm lazy, I'm the occasional master of Top Ramen ("Oriental" flavor is the most neutral), because for some reason I still don't like canned soups. It's that canned flavor, yeech.

The secret is you have to let it sit a while, so the noodles get soft instead of having that dried cheap noodle texture. Plus add a bit of leftover meat, mushrooms/vegies, peppers and other spices (I only use half the "flavor packet" that comes with, it's too salty otherwise). So bring to a boil, simmer for 3-5 minutes, turn off heat, let it sit in the pot with lid on for another 10 minutes. My husband actually eats my Top Ramen and he usually hates instant soup/noodle stuff. Go figure.

But mostly, I just buy the wonton soup from the local Chinese place. :p

That's horrible!

Top ramen must be al dente.

And then drained and pan fried with sesame oil, served with fried egg and whatever appropriate leftovers are available, and then garnished with crispy fried shallots.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Talking about Cheese the Americans have now become the worlds biggest producer of Cheese, they have surpassed  the French as the traditional cheese masters

You can get some amazing Cheeses in the USA, especially from dairy states like Wisconsin. In fact you can also get a 30 year cheddar from Wisconsin, its horribly expensive but imagine how amazing it must taste :dancing:

http://www.today.com/food/say-cheese-40-year-old-cheddar-sale-wisconsin-972745

I'd have thunk most cheese produced by Hollywood.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ragout!

That potentially covers a lot of ground.  What's in it?  I'm a big fan of stews, so I'm curious.

My families version: spaghetti noodles, minced meat, carrots, celery, cream and onions. And for some strange reason it tastes considerably better if left in the fridge overnight and then re-heated next day.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Ragout!

That potentially covers a lot of ground.  What's in it?  I'm a big fan of stews, so I'm curious.

My families version: spaghetti noodles, minced meat, carrots, celery, cream and onions. And for some strange reason it tastes considerably better if left in the fridge overnight and then re-heated next day.

That sounds great.  There some foods that taste better then next day, not many, but they exist.  I think it's usually a case of the tastes of the different components having time to marry.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have found two meals so far which taste much better the next day after spending a night in the fridge, like I already said ragout and goulash (Hungarian recipe). The difference is quite noticeable and thats why I always cook enough to have some next day, with the improved taste.   :w00t:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Thursday night I'm going here: http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/

Probably Friday too!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thursday night I'm going here: http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/

Probably Friday too!

Wowzers that restaurant looks very authentic, I looked at the menu. Not a wide variety but some yummy choices, I like the sirloin cheesesteak sandwich 

Let us know what you decided to order :)

John Milton 

we had a girlfriend buy us a slow cooker as a holiday gag gift.  am knowing it don't seem like a gag gift, but keep in mind that the only thing we use our microwave for is to boil water and make microwave popocorn... and occasionally to poach eggs. 

anywho. so we get this thing and we figure even though it is meant as a haha appliance, we should give it an honest chance.

ok, we get how this would work for soups, if we went through the effort o' sweating vegetables and seasoning stuff in another pan first. chili would be ok, perhaps. stews, maybe, but only if we browned meats and combined ingredients in a dutch oven first.   

we tried a pulled chicken recipe that were recommended to us. seemed simple and straightforward, but what we ended up with were a kinda wet mass  that will be parceled out to the dogs over the next few days.  there were no recommendation to brown the chicken, but am thinking it might be necessary.  probably shouldn't have bought supermarket chicken either, but we were told that our pretensions had no place when using a slow-cooker.

dunno, is there any advice on how to make something in a slow-cooker that doesn't taste as if it were meant as a punishment for people who bring babies to the movie theatre? 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we literal went through two dozen eggs to find the exact power level + time for us to perfect poach a single egg in the microwave, but it were kinda worth it.  we haven't had the courage to experiment with two poached eggs at once.  

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

david douches?  what an unfortunate name. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)