Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

Ah yes, the whole world is a big organism, everyone living in its belly

Wait, this thread is about Torment: Tides of Numenera now?

Anyway, killed my first few High Dragons in DA:I in hopes that challenging fights would result in less boring combat.

Yeah, no... I did have to use the "tactical view" (which I hadn't really used prior) to keep dumb companions from standing in pools of water (while fighting a lightning dragon, YOLO and all that I guess), but I spent more time fighting the companion AI than the enemy AI. So yeah, combat isn't something I'd consider DA:I's strong point. Boring at best, tedious/frustrating at worst is my experience so far.

That was one of my bigger annoyances with combat.  My companions were often brain dead and wouldn't even adjust to the most glaringly obvious of things.  Aside from your example of standing in water when fighting something that shoots lightning, there's also the charging right into a dragon shooting fire and not even attempting to move out of its line of fire as their health goes down to zero, there's standing in a pool of toxic cloud without moving two feet to the left where there is none, plus a variety of other things.

You'd think they'd be able to do even the most basic of stuff (ie. you're on fire, so maybe move out of the way of the fire breathing dragon's breath).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

About  Herald of Andraste, no you are simply NOT the chosen one, it is just luck you survive the explosion, and you are there just because you are there...for me it is a meh story in anyway. You just barge in and then things happen...it is not a compelling story ever. Not like The Warden and even Hawke

It's deliberately left obscure. Maybe the protagonist was chosen by God, or maybe they are just stupidly lucky and there is no God. You have to decide for yourself what you believe.

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

About  Herald of Andraste, no you are simply NOT the chosen one, it is just luck you survive the explosion, and you are there just because you are there...for me it is a meh story in anyway. You just barge in and then things happen...it is not a compelling story ever. Not like The Warden and even Hawke

It's deliberately left obscure. Maybe the protagonist was chosen by God, or maybe they are just stupidly lucky and there is no God. You have to decide for yourself what you believe.

Not at all chosen by God, remember that The Maker have left and don't care about anything anymore. Secondly the thing at your hand is magic, you just accidentally get part of it at your hand. It have nothing to do with divine whatsoever, it just what people want to believe about you. You can just

i. agree with them then proven false

ii. deny them and proven true

Both of above is the conclusion, you are not The Chosen One, you can only wear a mask and the mask become you or throw away the mask put upon your face.

If I was in that world I would sure be convinced it was the Maker's doing. The coincidence is just too massive.

Not at all chosen by God, remember that The Maker have left and don't care about anything anymore. Secondly the thing at your hand is magic, you just accidentally get part of it at your hand. It have nothing to do with divine whatsoever, it just what people want to believe about you. You can just

Both of above is the conclusion, you are not The Chosen One, you can only wear a mask and the mask become you or throw away the mask put upon your face.

Sorry, but you are guilty of taking the in game lore at face value, when the game itself makes it clear that it is myth, and may contain little or no truth.

The Maker may or may not have left, or may never have existed in the first place, or there may be some other entity entirely manipulating events.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

If I was in that world I would sure be convinced it was the Maker's doing. The coincidence is just too massive.

The interesting thing is, given a sufficiently long span of time, massive coincidences will inevitably occur, and before you know it some entirely sane person thinks they are a prophet and a new religion starts up.

The interesting thing is, given a sufficiently long span of time, massive coincidences will inevitably occur, and before you know it some entirely sane person thinks they are a prophet and a new religion starts up.

Is that so? Fascinating. How long a time span are we talking about here?

Edited by Valmy

Sorry, but you are guilty of taking the in game lore at face value, when the game itself makes it clear that it is myth, and may contain little or no truth.

The Maker may or may not have left, or may never have existed in the first place, or there may be some other entity entirely manipulating events.

Therefore you are not the Herald of Andraste

Why not? Andraste was after all a real person who led a revolt against the remains of the Tevinter Imperium. You're not called Herald of the Maker in the game after all. /wordmincing

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

You're all wrong, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the correct religion. May we all be touched by his noodly appendage.

I don't think this exists in Dragon Age but I wish you luck in modding it in.

• Like 1

It does not make that clear at all. That is just one interpretation.

Edited by Valmy

I decided to get Jaws of Hakkon.  Damn, though, is the latest update taking forever to download.  Slightly over 2.6 GB and even when I leave my PS4 in standby mode to finish updating, it's taken the past two days to finish.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've concluded dragon fights are just annoying, but since I'm an obsessive completionist I'll kill all of them anyway, I guess that means I  only have 7 to go (I killed 3 so far)...

On a positive note, this is one of the very few games (tbh, can't even think of another one right now) where the "keep" is actually well done and feels like an integral part of the storyline and it being there actually makes sense. All those games that want to add keeps (or similar stuff) because it's the new "must have" checkbox thing should look at DA:I to see how it's done (that includes you, PoE) but if the story you want to tell doesn't support it then just don't include it, seriously.

Edited by marelooke

I've concluded dragon fights are just annoying, but since I'm an obsessive completionist I'll kill all of them anyway, I guess that means I  only have 7 to go (I killed 3 so far)...

If you want them to be less annoying look for a little help online. YouTube is full of videos explaining how to kill them high dragons in 10 seconds or less. On nightmare. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Why not? Andraste was after all a real person who led a revolt against the remains of the Tevinter Imperium. You're not called Herald of the Maker in the game after all. /wordmincing

The way i understand it The Herald of Andraste means you are chosen by Andraste, a Messiah, a Chosen One of the said deity. In this game it is proven that you are not, then you are not. Andraste is a deity of Chantry religion, the bride of The Maker. So in the future The Chantry just write whatever they wish about your character being a Messiah but everyone near him/her know it is fake.

On a positive note, this is one of the very few games (tbh, can't even think of another one right now) where the "keep" is actually well done and feels like an integral part of the storyline and it being there actually makes sense. All those games that want to add keeps (or similar stuff) because it's the new "must have" checkbox thing should look at DA:I to see how it's done (that includes you, PoE) but if the story you want to tell doesn't support it then just don't include it, seriously.

I thought they could have done a lot more with the keep.  It seemed just more like a base of operations to hang out and chat with your companions between missions, than an actual keep that needed tending to.  All the upgrades you do don't make a lick of difference to the actual keep (and very little difference in the actual game), and at no point do you "defend" it.

If you want them to be less annoying look for a little help online. YouTube is full of videos explaining how to kill them high dragons in 10 seconds or less. On nightmare. :)

Hmm, that sounds like a plan. If I can get around babysitting that bunch of morons I'm all ears.

I thought they could have done a lot more with the keep.  It seemed just more like a base of operations to hang out and chat with your companions between missions, than an actual keep that needed tending to.  All the upgrades you do don't make a lick of difference to the actual keep (and very little difference in the actual game), and at no point do you "defend" it.

Yeah, the upgrades were a bit dissapointing as it seems they're mostly cosmetic. Not having to defend it doesn't really bother me as I'm pretty sure that any "siege" would have been lacklustre at best, so I rather not have it than have it done badly.

I think the thing that "sells" it for me is that you actually get the feeling you're leading an organization, so you returning to the keep to talk to advisors, plan stuff (war table) and gear up (and sell junk) sort of "fits". The fact that it has its own economy so you don't have to shovel money into it yourself removes the nuisance of, well, throwing money at a keep which you could have used for other things and makes it feel more alive at the same time (a big failing of the NWN2 keep imho).

Is it mechanically much different from some other keeps? I guess not, but it's presented a hell of a lot better.

Having trouble getting into this newest play through of DA:I.  The "open world" quests part is so boring compared to what I just spent the past 2 weeks playing in TW3.

I'm finding myself ignoring a lot of the short, inconsequential fetch quests and focusing on the main story + beefier, fleshed out sidequests.  It's slow going right now, though, because I'm still early in the game and need more "power" to unlock main story quests.

On a random topic: I hate how the females walk, particularly Cassandra.  They all walk like apes.

• Like 1

I often forgot the main plot when I was out there doing those fetch quests or harvesting copious amounts of Elfroot, Drakestone, and non-descript metal I don't care about.

That's to say... the main plot is thin and stretched, like butter over too much bread.

I completed the game yesterday. I tried to think about the game in a positive way, but in the end, it is a mediocre experience. I am saying that despite the clock showing 107 hours of playtime. Not all of it was bad. Dragon fights were decent. Some characters and quests were decent. I liked the soundtrack and some decent voice acting was there. The astrariums were a fun distraction. Graphically, it looked really nice at times, so that exploration kind of fun, and there were some nice spell effects. But as a whole, I would rate even DA2 higher than this game.

The combat didn't feel very tactical and I wasn't happy about the lack of commands you could set up for your party members. The game felt like an action rpg, but not with particularly great combat. I basically just controlled my own melee fighter and let the others do their thing. On rare occasions, I would manually set up a barrier or something, but that's it. I also didn't care for their "Assassin's Creed" formula with some of the side stuff: shards, mosaic pieces and so on.

To me, it felt like the game didn't have an identity of its own. It feels like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Skyrim competitor? Sequel to Dragon Age? Hack 'n slash game?

I'm done with BioWare for the time being. Last game I bought from them was Dragon Age: Origins and I actually enjoyed the game despite some flaws. I wanted to give Inquisition a shot, but this won't be the case for their next game.

• Like 3

Yes Dragon Age have lost its identity, that is something i repeatedly mention in their forum many times. When DA2 become like Mass Effect then everything have lost actually. Not only become like Mass Effect, but also a drama. Then they want to make it into Skyrim. I don't mind about open world environment but it doesn't have to be like Skyrim. They can maintain Dragon Age:Origin mechanic, but they don't want to. They can maintain the main theme is about Darkspawn then put the rest into anything like Dragon Age:Origin, but again they don't want to. So what is Dragon Age? It just random, once you play it you don't care about it anymore. The game is not even about dragons and not even about the age of dragons. The dragons in it are just monsters to kill.

I just don't understand arguments of Dragon Age:Origin fans that hate Dragon Age:Origin so much and force Bioware to change Dragon Age games after Dragon Age:Origin, and Bioware listen to them...i just don't get it....they are so sensitive when we wrote "let it be like Dragon Age:Origin", we will see lots of fans charging with with their lances to shut us up, and the mods come with their hammer...i just don't understand....

• Like 2