Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

Any word of other DLC? Still saving my next playthrough for some sort of compelling story DLC. I know they released that one area DLC, but never heard anything about it that had a hook for me.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Started playing this yesterday, game is really taxing on my graphics card for what it delivers on the settings it's at (medium-ish, I basically let the game pick the settings and roll with that) especially when compared to Witcher 2. I've also had a bunch of crashes (possibly related to the graphics card being taxed this much). The rest of my system doesn't seem very impressed with the game, possibly time to upgrade the graphics card then (might have to anyway with Witcher 3 now out...). Don't get me wrong, the game does look good and has a DA:O vibe to it, graphics-wise at least (and in my book that's a good thing).

Elves still look slightly "off" and my character also occasionally speaking with Leliana's typical "lisp" (same voice actress I presume) even though she's supposedly Dalish is slightly annoying.

Combat is sort of what I expected: DA2 combat with some slight improvements (I don't think there was such a convenient targeting of AoE spells in DA2, but I found mages so horribly annoying to play in DA2 that I rerolled a rogue, so maybe I'm misremembering). Tactical camera seems inconvenient to use and mostly pointless so far so I haven't bothered with it much yet. Can't say much about the companion AI as I've been more or less steamrolling things without ever switching characters (pretty much how I played DA2 as well)

The inventory is an annoying console oriented...thing.

Being able to modify your gear to some extent is nice.

Quests and storytelling remind me a lot of SWTOR, for better or worse. I found that a lot of the acting in the tutorial seemed rather, I dunno, "wooden". Though I kind of like the companions in general so far (I only have access to the first 3 so far).

The main storyline in general resulted in many a "WTF?" so far (I guess I might be missing things due to never having played the DA2 DLC?) and the way it's told is just, I dunno, it feels "off". In any case the story certainly hasn't been able to drag me in.

So far the game basically feels like an offline version of a MMO.

I'm enjoying myself but I wouldn't rate it any higher than "good" based on what I've seen so far.

You're not missing much by not having played Legacy as DA:I neatly gives you enough exposition on the matter. You're just left wondering what and who the hell is going on at first. IMO the main story picks up a good deal of pace after Haven, especially if you're interested in DA lore. You know, that awful statanist conspiracy is just about to start and all.

xD

edit:

You're right about the game being slightly offline-MMOish. As I posted a while ago, there was way too much Bethesda crap in my Dragon Age. :(

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Any word of other DLC? Still saving my next playthrough for some sort of compelling story DLC. I know they released that one area DLC, but never heard anything about it that had a hook for me.

The one "area DLC" also has a story. Just pointing it out, haven't played it myself either. :p

No news of other DLC, but they told about that one only a day before it was available, so I'd assume it's the same for any future ones. I'm pretty sure there will be some.

The one "area DLC" also has a story. Just pointing it out, haven't played it myself either. tongue.png

No news of other DLC, but they told about that one only a day before it was available, so I'd assume it's the same for any future ones. I'm pretty sure there will be some.

That's why I said "compelling."
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

People take content in video games way too seriously sometimes.

Whenever someone says that all I can think of is this.

This is a serious game.

This is my go-to gamer ridiculousness.

I watched this video and I found it sad that the message seems to be that its okay to live life in a virtual world and not seem to want to interact in reality  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Eh. Silly. But, why do people CARE what he does? He isn't hurting anyone. A lot of bullying,  harassment, and shaming going on. But, yeah, only women get attacked online. LMAO People hate it when you judge women baed on whether they can get a man but seem okay with judging a guy on hwteher he can get a girl. L0L

Not that I agree with everything he says. He seems way out there to me. But, his life. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Bioware does not want their games modded anymore so they can force their political agenda down your throat.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Bioware does not want their games modded anymore so they can force their political agenda down your throat.

Sure, because using the not really modding-friendly Frostbite engine was totally Bioware's decision. And why did they choose so? Because when they are not busy enough with creating their satanist illuminati conspiracy they get a kick out of hating you in particular. Yeah, that seems just about right.

Lex parsimoniae be damned, stupid Ockham obviously had no idea what he was talking about.

What explain Jedi powers then? Jedis are born with midichlorian therefore they are mutants with "X-gene" that give them powers. It's a trend nowadays to diminished any miracles and making it into science

Obi-Wan in STAR WARS - "It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

Obi-Wan specifically says all living things are connected to the force, that's mundane - not miraculous.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Obi-Wan in STAR WARS - "It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

Obi-Wan specifically says all living things are connected to the force, that's mundane - not miraculous.

Indeed, even with the midichlorians as an explanation (one which I intensely dislike) joining the Jedi or becoming a force-user in the first place was limited to a select few. Jedi are simply space wizards (or sorcerers in D&D terms because their ability is innate, not trained). Sure Vader gets called out on adhering to an outdated religion in A New Hope, but it's not like anyone could use the Force if they wanted it enough, or were religious enough.

The midichlorians suck butt like much of what Lucas did with the prequels, but to construct a science vs. religion debate or conspiracy out of them is ludicrous at best and borderline paranoid at worst. :banghead:

What explain Jedi powers then? Jedis are born with midichlorian therefore they are mutants with "X-gene" that give them powers. It's a trend nowadays to diminished any miracles and making it into science

Energy sield that ONLY people with a lot of "X-gene" can manipulate and use it. That is why it is no longer mystical/miraculous, all you need is "X-gene"

Before the midichlorian thing, we or atleast lots of people assume we need a dedication in Jedi religion and training to able to use the miracle/magic, but turn out to be no, it just a natural random selection of evolution creating people with "X-gene" enabling them to manipulate the energy

If you still don't understand, it's like this...you have to be a Buddhist and become a Shaolin monk living as a priest before you can kick ass using your Chi like no one can ever achieve if they not join the Shoalin temple...this is Star Wars before Episode 1 and Dragon Age:Origin

But the later serries...you are born with special gene or something in your blood that automatically give you Chi, you don't really need to become a Shaolin monk and become a Buddhist because it is all already in you....you can kick ass with Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu without being a Shaolin monk, because it have nothing to do with religion, belief system whatsoever...it is just science, and you are lucky to born with it or injecting something in your blood not like other peoples

Edited by Qistina

I wonder if blood transfusions would be the new Jedi "doping" technique? :grin:

Watch this space for the annual Jedi games on Coruscant. Powerlifting, Rock throwing, fastest 3000m while levitating...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if blood transfusions would be the new Jedi "doping" technique? :grin:

Watch this space for the annual Jedi games on Coruscant. Powerlifting, Rock throwing, fastest 3000m while levitating...

Maybe they will, it is all science now, they want to make you believe there is no such thing as miracles or higher power, it is all science

In Dragon Age, Fenris is an example, he have lyrium tattoo that give him powers, meaning the chemical substance that enable him to do magical things, there is no such thing as magic per se, it's science

So non-mutants (non-Mage) can have powers by using chemical stuff (lyrium), there is no mystic about it, it is all science.

Before the retcon, i assume that Templar ability is gift from The Maker, and have relation with part of Spirit School magic since Spirits are Makers first children, but later it is all just chemistry

Edited by Qistina

Currently in official Star Wars cannon midi-chlorians have quite little explanation. In Star Wars Legends there is quite lot more things about them, but those things aren't anymore part of Star Wars cannon. But in Legends Jedi scientist believed that they were source of people's ability to use force, but they weren't actually sure that was the case and but they did know that every living being in university had midi-chlorians in them and those with force sensitivity had more of them, but it could also be that they were just drawn towards people with force sensitivity for some reason. Because there was cases where force sensitive people had low midi-chlorian counts and cases where midi-chlorian count didn't predict how much potential person had in force use.

Current explanation by Star Wars cannon in Disney era universe

"Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the Force. When you learn to quiet your mind, you'll hear them speaking to you."
―Qui-Gon Jinn, to Anakin Skywalker

"Midi-chlorians were microscopic lifeforms that lived within the cells of all living beings. The Force spoke through the midi-chlorians, allowing certain beings to use the Force if they were sensitive enough to its powers. Midi-chlorian counts, used to determine a being's potential in the Force, could be tested by examining a subject's blood. The highest known midi-chlorian count—over 20,000—belonged to Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One who was believed to have been conceived by the midi-chlorians"

"According to legend, midi-chlorians originated on a planet in the heart of the galaxy, from which life was also said to have emerged. The midi-chlorians played a role in eternal consciousness; as all living beings generated the Living Force, it fed into the Cosmic Force and communicated through the midi-chlorians, allowing a being who had the knowledge to manifest themselves after death."

Before the retcon, i assume that Templar ability is gift from The Maker, and have relation with part of Spirit School magic since Spirits are Makers first children, but later it is all just chemistry

This makes no sense.

First Lyrium is a magical substance that gives you access to the spirit world. It is hardly HNO3 or whatever. Secondly in DA:O it was just a skill Alistair could teach anybody, like one might teach any combat skill. So I am not sure what the basis of that assumption was. You did not get any scene of Alistair teaching you intense meditation or anything.

This makes no sense.

First Lyrium is a magical substance that gives you access to the spirit world. It is hardly HNO3 or whatever. Secondly in DA:O it was just a skill Alistair could teach anybody, like one might teach any combat skill. So I am not sure what the basis of that assumption was. You did not get any scene of Alistair teaching you intense meditation or anything.

Also in DA:I, player's actions can lead to point where Templar's stop using Lyrium at all, but that don't seem to take away their powers, although them may become weaker as they aren't anymore amplified by Lyrium. It is somewhat similar as with mage, who can use their powers without Lyrium, but using Lyrium gives them access much more power.

This makes no sense.

I never get bored of watching people try to make sense of the whims of the fickle writers of BW. Really all BW universes work under the principle of "whatever we want to do, we'll do it" trying to rationalize it is like trying to make sense of comic book logic. It's a game of exquisite corpse, next guy that comes along wants to do something that goes against canon and does it. Canon be damned!

But by all means, do carry on. Maybe I will see the birth of another "Tali's sweat" theory.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This makes no sense.

Of course lyrium is a "magical substance" but actually it's a mineral dug up from earth, is "magic in raw form", so in other word means it's "the Fade" in chemical form, since magic come from the Fade, lyrium is a physical Fade. You consume it, you get the Fade inside you.

But according to Alistair in DA:O, we don't really need lyrium to learn Templar ability, that give the impression that Templar ability is something you gain by dedication, training and understanding of religion (this goes the same with Jedi). I compare the ability with Spirit School magic of DA:O, there is so much similarity, so i assume the anti-Magic line of Spirit school is NOT actually magic, well the school itself is ANTI-magic. Since Spirits are The Maker's first children, there you can get the conclusion, Templar have the connection with the divine influence through their understanding of religion and dedication in their faith. I assume it is just the Chantry who is corrupt, want to control the Templars by giving them lyrium to make them addicted, also fooling them by saying lyrium increase the magnitude of their ability

Furthermore, anti-magic is NOT magic isn't it? So why would lyrium that is "magic in raw form" giving anti-magic effect for Templars? Eh?

For me, there is NO justification for "you really need lyrium to learn Templar ability" in DA2 and DA:I, it totally toss away the religious side of the thing. You are no longer gain power by your understanding and dedication in religion, you gain your power by chemical substance and manipulate it. It have nothing to do with divine thingies, therefore those divine thingies don't exist, religion is fake

So now you guys understand my argument?

P/S yes you don't see a cutscene video but you get the dialogue scene from Alistair "i could teach you" and "sent everyone who is trained as a warrior" implying Alistair DID teaching Templar ability WITHOUT lyrium

Edited by Qistina

Energy field that ONLY people with a lot of "X-gene" can manipulate and use it. That is why it is no longer mystical/miraculous, all you need is "X-gene"

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you (or you I); Obi-Wan hasn't been proven incorrect that the Force is a mundane element of the Star Wars universe. It still surrounds and penetrates and binds the galaxy regardless or how many people can manipulate it. Its still a mundane, natural element of the Star Wars universe.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I never get bored of watching people try to make sense of the whims of the fickle writers of BW.

You must be a very exciting person.

Anyway I was not aware I was trying to make sense of it, but rather pointing out how the conspiracy theory makes no sense. Why? Insanity on my part I am sure.

Energy field that ONLY people with a lot of "X-gene" can manipulate and use it. That is why it is no longer mystical/miraculous, all you need is "X-gene"

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you (or you I); Obi-Wan hasn't been proven incorrect that the Force is a mundane element of the Star Wars universe. It still surrounds and penetrates and binds the galaxy regardless or how many people can manipulate it. Its still a mundane, natural element of the Star Wars universe.

Yes, only JEDI said that isn't it? Do you hear Star Wars scientists (or anyone else) say the same? No? You only hear that from Jedis. (And Jedi is a religious group/order). But Episode 1 make it a science by adding midichlorian that is simply "X-gene"

I am a Muslim, from my faith it is God who move everything literally, it is in the Holy Book, will you accept that as "natural element of this world"?. We have "saints" (wali) who have some "karamah" we believe as God given gifts to them to do some miraculous things. (Sure you cannot accept that because you are not a Muslim)

So then someone say "if you have XYZ-gene you can do those things", it automtically become science and no longer mystic

Understand?

Edited by Qistina

^And my point is it was never mystic.

I'm not talking about the Jedi Order - they were mystics as represented by Obi-Wan.

But something that surrounds and binds everything and is in everyone isn't mystical.  That would be like saying that magnetism was mystical.

This makes no sense.

Of course lyrium is a "magical substance" but actually it's a mineral dug up from earth, is "magic in raw form", so in other word means it's "the Fade" in chemical form, since magic come from the Fade, lyrium is a physical Fade. You consume it, you get the Fade inside you.

But according to Alistair in DA:O, we don't really need lyrium to learn Templar ability, that give the impression that Templar ability is something you gain by dedication, training and understanding of religion (this goes the same with Jedi). I compare the ability with Spirit School magic of DA:O, there is so much similarity, so i assume the anti-Magic line of Spirit school is NOT actually magic, well the school itself is ANTI-magic. Since Spirits are The Maker's first children, there you can get the conclusion, Templar have the connection with the divine influence through their understanding of religion and dedication in their faith. I assume it is just the Chantry who is corrupt, want to control the Templars by giving them lyrium to make them addicted, also fooling them by saying lyrium increase the magnitude of their ability

Furthermore, anti-magic is NOT magic isn't it? So why would lyrium that is "magic in raw form" giving anti-magic effect for Templars? Eh?

For me, there is NO justification for "you really need lyrium to learn Templar ability" in DA2 and DA:I, it totally toss away the religious side of the thing. You are no longer gain power by your understanding and dedication in religion, you gain your power by chemical substance and manipulate it. It have nothing to do with divine thingies, therefore those divine thingies don't exist, religion is fake

So now you guys understand my argument?

P/S yes you don't see a cutscene video but you get the dialogue scene from Alistair "i could teach you" and "sent everyone who is trained as a warrior" implying Alistair DID teaching Templar ability WITHOUT lyrium

There is a thing called story and gameplay segregation, and becoming a templar as player character is a huge part of it, no matter whether you actually need lyrium or not. Templars are the militant arm of the Chantry, and through long, dedicated training and lyrium (or not, depending on which writer you like to take at face value) they achieve powers that help them fight mages.

And then you come along and become a full-fledged templar with the abilities in 5 minutes of gameplay and none of the training, without the need to join the Templar order or take any vows. You can be the most sinful person on the planet or you could be a saint, it doesn't matter. Because it is... well, gameplay, and when push comes to shove gameplay always wins against any story considerations. Always has, always will.

So riddle me this, regardless of the retcon that templars need lyrium for their powers:

Where do the Seekers get their power from, it obviously isn't lyrium? Oh, right, dedication, training and being touched by a spirit of faith. So that's the in-game answer.

The real world answer is probably that someone else at Bioware thought David Gaider was full of crap when he retconned Alistair into having taken lyrium in that Dark Horse comic and introduced a secret templar faction having templar powers without lyrium intake just to spite him and get back to the argument of whether it is just a control element or not.

For you, the answer can be "oh, like, maybe they didn't like the idea of no religious background for Templar powers" while coming up with DA:I.

For Luzianus that answer would probably be because the Maker took pity on Cassandra for looking like a man.