Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

DA2 and DA3 are not button mashers on PC. 

I only played the PC versions, i did a playthrough of DA2 in the hardest setting without much trouble and without any need for pause mode (unless i needed a break). BUT you are right, they are not button smashers, but what then..action rpgs? Smashing your 1-4 with the hardest attacks on the highest difficulty is what i call a button smasher sorry. They went from DA:O which was limited but still offered tactical combat to "smash your face into the enemy because consoles" way. As far as i´m concered that is button smashing, So i guess action rpg is more ok, but that would also mean its not better than, let´s say DIablo 3, fine. Both are mediocre.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Button masher = have to press a button to perform an action.

DA2 and DA3, you only need to click on the enemy.

No offense Bryy, but clicking is the same as pushing a button in a sense :p which in this sense makes it even worse because of the stronge auto-attacks based on weapon damage. Oh well, DA2 and 3 are NOT bad games. I just think of them as mediocre at best *shrug* i miss the old bioware.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Not really, you don't need to hold down anything or continuously press X for a sword swing. 

*sigh* i know that but i could also point out that this just makes it more easy and the only reason you have to do it on a console are technicale limitations.

party based combat done right:

PoE - RTwP; D:OS - TB;

action based combat done right:

Dark Souls - definitely; TW3 - most likely.

DA:I sucks on both aspects, cause it cannot decide what it wants to be. It is a boring "hold mouse button and aim cross at the enemy", or equally boring "click and go afk", because you need to maw through some overbloated HP values of enemies, which there are 3 types (pack of human like enemies, pack of red templar like, pack of demons) + dragons, and the only thing that scales there are DMG and HP values, once you saw the low level enemy of one type, it will be the same type of enemy later on with exactly same approach and attacks, but with higher values....

PoE at least gives you various beasts with various abilities and resistances, which get extra abilities with higher tier creature type or in case of kith they get various builds from the same list of abilities that all the classes have.

D:OS gets various types of enemies based on the map, and section of the map, you have way more options in terms of abilities and synergies, and it is super fun.

Dark Souls - has a challenging active combat, with active blocking, various builds in terms of gear, spells and abilities, awesome boss fights and mobs with different types of attacks, etc.

TW3 - seems to be a at least good action combat, and it will also include mounted combat and combat with real flying enemies, which you first need to pin down to the ground for better chances...

DA:I is dull, uninspired, bad MMO clone combat in action mode and god awful in RTwP mode (pathing of characters alone makes you want to uninstall the game)

• Like 2

You just cannot expect good combat and interesting battles from Bioware anymore.

In Origins, an original IP where they could have done anythin, there was very little variety in the types of creatures you could fight. Now it wasn't so bad for just that game but one of my big concerns with this franchise was this problem. In BG2 they seemed to be trying to include every obscure monster that ever existed in D&D (I mean practically the entire Planescape bestiary at least got a cameo) so it is puzzling. There are only so many humans, darkspawn, and demons you want to fight.

But again their games are not really about thought provoking plots and RPG elements. They are about cheese and melodrama. And hey it is pretty cool somebody is bringing the soap opera RPG-esque games. That is a niche I have never seen filled in western-RPGs. That is fun but not the Bioware we used to know.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

You just cannot expect good combat and interesting battles from Bioware anymore.

In Origins, an original IP where they could have done anythin, there was very little variety in the types of creatures you could fight. Now it wasn't so bad for just that game but one of my big concerns with this franchise was this problem. In BG2 they seemed to be trying to include every obscure monster that ever existed in D&D (I mean practically the entire Planescape bestiary at least got a cameo) so it is puzzling. There are only so many humans, darkspawn, and demons you want to fight.

But again their games are not really about thought provoking plots and RPG elements. They are about cheese and melodrama. And hey it is pretty cool somebody is bringing the soap opera RPG-esque games. That is a niche I have never seen filled in western-RPGs. That is fun but not the Bioware we used to know.

True story. I feel that old Bioware and the new one are light years apart. Oh well.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I am curious how much better DA:I sold over DA2, and if it was worth the more lengthy development cycle from a business perspective.  

Well, I've been reading that DA: I is Bioware's best selling title to date so I think it's safe to assume it sold well over DA2.

The thing is, EA has been the poster child for cutting development time to produce subpar games of well known franchises to fit their quarterly statement schedule for their shareholders and yet at the same time, they are more than willing to spend millions of dollars on marketing so that an under-developed game might seem much more awesome than it really is in order to get as many sales as possible.

I'm just hoping that EA is finally realizing that listening to their fanbase is actually a good thing monetarily (something one would think is common sense)  because all of those millions invested into the marketing to scam their fanbases could actually be put to better use making a solid game that would sell itself.

Source? Outselling DA2 shouldn´t be that hard, it was not well received anyway. (rightfully in my opinion) but i would be surprised if it outsells ME3. Personaly i´m curious if it outsold DA:O. Everything i have seen so far from the game, including some let´s play´s makes me not want to buy it. I know i would hate the combat way to much to really enjoy it.

Completely agree in regards to DA2,  I still haven't been able to bring myself play that game yet.  From the moment Bioware first announced it, I knew it would suck because it had all the typical earmarks of EA's involvement which ultimately results in mediocrity, which is exactly what DA2 turned out to be, completely mediocre.

What I should have said is that DA:I is Bioware's bestselling title at launch to date, including Mass Effect.  (source: http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-had-most-successful-launch-in-bioware-history/). 

Edit: Oh, and I just want to add that I got a good chuckle out of Bioware's use of the word 'iconic' when introducing the Hawke character for the first time when given the option of using the awesomely iconic default that the whole world knows (or not) or custom Hawke.  Iconic...really?  Nice try, EAware but there's absolutely nothing iconic about Dragon Age 2.  Just because you use a word does not make it so. 

Edited by Shadeling

that was an iconic fail in the history of video games

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I am curious how much better DA:I sold over DA2, and if it was worth the more lengthy development cycle from a business perspective.  

Well, I've been reading that DA: I is Bioware's best selling title to date so I think it's safe to assume it sold well over DA2.

The thing is, EA has been the poster child for cutting development time to produce subpar games of well known franchises to fit their quarterly statement schedule for their shareholders and yet at the same time, they are more than willing to spend millions of dollars on marketing so that an under-developed game might seem much more awesome than it really is in order to get as many sales as possible.

I'm just hoping that EA is finally realizing that listening to their fanbase is actually a good thing monetarily (something one would think is common sense)  because all of those millions invested into the marketing to scam their fanbases could actually be put to better use making a solid game that would sell itself.

Source? Outselling DA2 shouldn´t be that hard, it was not well received anyway. (rightfully in my opinion) but i would be surprised if it outsells ME3. Personaly i´m curious if it outsold DA:O. Everything i have seen so far from the game, including some let´s play´s makes me not want to buy it. I know i would hate the combat way to much to really enjoy it.

Completely agree in regards to DA2,  I still haven't been able to bring myself play that game yet.  From the moment Bioware first announced it, I knew it would suck because it had all the typical earmarks of EA's involvement which ultimately results in mediocrity, which is exactly what DA2 turned out to be, completely mediocre.

What I should have said is that DA:I is Bioware's bestselling title at launch to date, including Mass Effect.  (source: http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-had-most-successful-launch-in-bioware-history/). 

Edit: Oh, and I just want to add that I got a good chuckle out of Bioware's use of the word 'iconic' when introducing the Hawke character for the first time when given the option of using the awesomely iconic default that the whole world knows (or not) or custom Hawke.  Iconic...really?  Nice try, EAware but there's absolutely nothing iconic about Dragon Age 2.  Just because you use a word does not make it so. 

I see. Considering the marketing and expectations i can see that it was the most successful launch. Still a bit surprised though considering ME3 was very anticipated. *shrug*

Well, i played DA2 like..two times. At that point i still gave Bioware the benefit of a doubt, even though i was really pissed because of DA: A and a little "conversation" i had with with Gaider on the forum. I don´t think DA2 sucks. It´s not a bad game. The personal stories of the characters really shine mostly and there are some good moments, and some horrible ones (Anders...). The whole overall plot, the time jumps without any real consequence and the action style combad without lack of strategy broke the game for me. I would say it´s a mediocre game but not bad.

I think i enjoyed it a bit more when i decided to look at it as a different game that just happens to be placed in the Dragon Age world. As a sequel to Origins it sucks. They should have called it DA: The Hawke chronicles and made clear it has nothing to do with the first game.

I enjoyed Dave's antics back in the old days of the Bioware Forums. He sure seems to be a bête noire of sorts these days.

I am glad DA2 does not entirely stink. It seems like one of those things that sounds awesome in theory, I mean a whole game in one city? Time passing and maybe you get to see your decisions impacts on the game world? I love cities in RPGs so always wanted something like that. It just seems like it was not as cool in reality and it was in theory. Or the execution was lacking.

Still going to play it. My expectations are for melodramatic cheese and contrived plots.

Edited by Valmy

I enjoyed Dave's antics back in the old days of the Bioware Forums. He sure seems to be a bête noire of sorts these days.

I am glad DA2 does not entire stink. I am going to be playing it soon. It seems like one of those things that sounds awesome in theory, I mean a whole game in one city? Time passing and maybe you get to see your decisions impacts on the game world? I love cities in RPGs so always wanted something like that. It just seems like it was not as cool in reality and it was in theory. Or the execution was lacking.

Still going to play it. My expectations are for melodramatic cheese and contrived plots.

The old Bioware forum was great. The devs were talkative and helpful. I spend nights with a great community and devs talking about games. Don´t even get me started on the new Bioware Network and how some act now. I had a little clash with Gaider about DA:A and it didn´t went well :p But i also haven´t been there since the ME3 ending discussion...

I hope you enjoy DA2 a bit. You are right, in theory it sounds good and i think, given more time, it would have been a lot better. Unfortunaly the game clearly shows that it was rushed out the door to meet EA´s deadline. But it´s also the writing, you don´t really have an impact on the story, and nothing changes much. You make timejumps in years and you don´t ever feel that because it´s just the same and yes there is a lot of cheese :D Companions are also a mixed bag, Varic is written very well in my opinion and then there is Fenris which should have been called "the average emo-anime character" yuck.

However you can get it cheap and if you don´t expect too much it should be enjoyable enough for a low price. My opinion at last ;)

• Like 1

It wasn´t a a problem specific to him. DA:A was a buggy mess of a game and still is because they never bothered to fix real issues.

There was a big thread about the silverlite mine bug, which left your character stripped of all your equipment, leaving your char naked and useless. In my eyes a game-breaking issue. Of course people were upset and wanted them to fix it. This lead to Gaider makeing a pretty...well arrogant post on how they are not obliged to fix anything and telling the players thats basically it.

You can imagine the response. I felt like pointing out to him that not only was he wrong because on how the law works in most countries, (and it doesn´t matter where Bioware is based, it matters where they release the game) but also thats not exactly how you should respond to your customers. Well it was a heated debate.

Anyway i went to the retailer and got my money back and still have the game. So it was a win/win for me. But as a Bioware fan for so many years that naturally pissed me off and considering the games that came after didn´t anything to improve my opinion i just stayed away from them and the forum. To me they are another studio EA has destroyed, they are not the same anymore. Sadly.

Gaider was obviously just repeating the line that was fed him, of course he did it poorly.

Yeah DA:A was where I jumped of the Bioware bandwagon back in 2010 I was so upset by it (well and ME2). Just now deciding to go back and play their games again, with my new lowered expectations.

Gaider was obviously just repeating the line that was fed him, of course he did it poorly.

Yeah DA:A was where I jumped of the Bioware bandwagon back in 2010 I was so upset by it (well and ME2). Just now deciding to go back and play their games again, with my new lowered expectations.

Maybe, it´s not like i have anything against him, especially considering how great it was to talk with him before they were sold to EA. It was..i guess dissapointing.

Me too, still i bought every game (until DA:I) just in hope they could turn around again, god i could rage on about ME3 and SwtoR...better not :D ME2..thinking about it, it shares a smiliarity to DA2 in the sense that the side content, like the companion quests and sidemissions were great. I loved the idea and how the ending played too. But the overall story gave me a headache. I would like to point to smudboys youtube channel who did an analysis on ME2-3 but also on DA2 if anyone is interested or bored, being a hobby writer myself i found it very interesting. Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/smudboy/playlists

Anyway, i think i will buy DA:I in two weeks, seeing as my retailer (i know him) has offered it me for ~20.- bucks. I might just give it a go. :)

I see. Considering the marketing and expectations i can see that it was the most successful launch. Still a bit surprised though considering ME3 was very anticipated. *shrug*

Well, i played DA2 like..two times. At that point i still gave Bioware the benefit of a doubt, even though i was really pissed because of DA: A and a little "conversation" i had with with Gaider on the forum. I don´t think DA2 sucks. It´s not a bad game. The personal stories of the characters really shine mostly and there are some good moments, and some horrible ones (Anders...). The whole overall plot, the time jumps without any real consequence and the action style combad without lack of strategy broke the game for me. I would say it´s a mediocre game but not bad.

I think i enjoyed it a bit more when i decided to look at it as a different game that just happens to be placed in the Dragon Age world. As a sequel to Origins it sucks. They should have called it DA: The Hawke chronicles and made clear it has nothing to do with the first game.

Since DA:I pleasantly surprised me, I'm more inclined to maybe finally play DA2, especially since you can get it pretty cheap now, and then purchasing through Amazon to cut even more into EAs profits is extra win.  After voting with my wallet, I just find it sort of entertaining to try to minimize EAs profits as much as possible whenever I buy one of their games.  It's kind of silly but I find it satisfying all the same. :p

When they first announced DA2, that's when my faith in Bioware completely deteriorated because I'd seen the same happen a few times before, if an innovative development house wasn't dissolved outright, whatever was released after being acquired by EA was mediocre crap.  Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, etc so many RIPs it just seemed like the same was inevitable for Bioware and DA2 only helped solidify that for me.

Then EA catastrophically botched the release of SimCity 2013 (because their artistic 'vision' of shoehorning everything into an online mico-transaction wonderland was so much more important than what their actual fanbase wanted),  and after that epic (yet entertaining) fail it was clear that they scrambled to turn their always online Sims 4 into the offline, single player experience their fanbase always preferred and yet even those sales have just been trickling in. Go figure.

Could it be that perhaps finally a corporate publisher like EA might be re-evaluating that their long held belief that gamers are, for the most part, stupid and will buy anything as long as the marketing is dazzling enough?  It's such a weird bias too when you think about it because lots of gamers are nerds like me, we're anything but stupid and yet corporate publishers have a rich historical tradition of treating us like we are idiots.

So this leads me back to my being pleasantly surprised about DA: I.  I'd love to think that EA is finally seeing the light but I think it just boils down to the fact that EA is in survival mode and after a successful game or two like DA:I, they'll be back to their unrelenting obsession with creating a micro-transaction western version of S. Korea's gaming market.

So this leads me back to my being pleasantly surprised about DA: I.

I´m curious, what did surprise you about DA:I, what did you like? As i said i might buy it, but i´m just not sure...even with low expectations it looks very blant.

As for EA, yeah...they are the devil :grin: