Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

How much has PoE rating dropped already?

91 critic and 8.7 user. Seems people are happy with it, not that metacritic should be important to anyone ;)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Heard Inquisition was trash aimed at consoles. That's too bad.

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

It does play best with a controller, but other than that it is a very good game that improves greatly on DA2.  It suffers from having a bit too much to do, actually.  You'll burn yourself out trying to finish all the side stuff, but the main story and cast of characters are pretty entertaining.

It also looked great on my PC, even better than it did on my PS4.

• Like 1

I couldn't play the game because of Cassandra's face. She looked like a man, it was disturbing.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Eh she doesn't look like a man. At least most men do not wear that much eyeliner and lipstick. Though her voice actress is gorgeous, they just have just scanned her face and used that. But they wanted to make a badass chick and I am alright with that. My wife is a badass.

But anyway I have been thinking a bit about DA and ME since I have been playing PoE and why I got so disillusioned with them in ME2 and DA:O Awakenings. I think the problem was I went in thinking I was playing games from a company that made games like BG2 and ME1 and so had a hard time seeing things like tone and lore and mechanics messed with so much. Bioware was a company I expected to make hard core RPGs. So it was weird to see such dis concern with things I thought were important.

Even worse the tactical and strategic difficulty really went down the tubes. I had it in my mind they made interesting challenges and always played their games on the highest difficulty levels. But I barely broke a sweat beating ME2 on insanity and I had not played a FPS (well besides ME1) since Castle Wolfenstein in the early 90s. I was like 'really?'

But they are about making cheesy soap opera RPGs with simplistic mechanics. And that's ok. I like cheese. I just didn't like Bioware making cheese. But they have been making cheese now for so long I should just stop worrying and enjoy the cheese so I think at some point I am going to start playing their games again. I just cannot be expecting a fun RPG gaming experience with attempts at serious writing. Time to make peace with Bioware. They are who they are now.

But damn it inXile and Obsidian better not start making cheese. They have to carry the flame.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

"Even worse the tactical and strategic difficulty really went down the tubes. I had it in my mind they made interesting challenges and always played their games on the highest difficulty levels. But I barely broke a sweat beating ME2 on insanity and I had not played a FPS (well besides ME1) since Castle Wolfenstein in the early 90s. I was like 'really?'"

They have consistently kept the difficulty of their later games fairly low for most part. But ME2 is a lot of fun with Vanguard Insanity. Most fun I`ve had in any TPS type game... But other classes are SUPER BORING to play. And as you said, it´s still quite easy no matter what class you use.

DA:I has similar problem. Its actually even easier than ME2/3 are if you actually play the game and not just ignore the skill combos and crafting.

EA actually complained lately how their games are too hard to learn. Can you believe that? :dancing:

Edited by Zorfab

EA and Ubisoft ..... parasites.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

EA and Ubisoft ..... parasites.

They make video games.   :aiee:

Not really, they're publishers. Most of the time they either produce bad franchises or destroy the really good ones. And the number of games they developed (helped develop) can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

So how disappointing is the first DLC? 

Not very. The only real disappointing thing is that the main plot of Hakkon is completely separate from the main plot of the base game. 

Oh, so it's one of *those* DLC.

Was kind of hoping it would build on the existing story, or continued the existing story, or flesh out the existing story rather than be kind of a separate romp.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It's still fun. The new area is super neat and the art direction for it is outstanding, where the Frostbacks meet the Kocari Wilds. Just expect to be a little confused as to why this area is important to the overall story. I mean, it has an in to the main story, but sadly, it for some reason does not use it at all. At least, it downplays its connection to the main story.

Edited by Bryy

It does play best with a controller, but other than that it is a very good game that improves greatly on DA2.  It suffers from having a bit too much to do, actually.  You'll burn yourself out trying to finish all the side stuff, but the main story and cast of characters are pretty entertaining.

It also looked great on my PC, even better than it did on my PS4.

Yeah I got completely burned out by it. I sank in something like 40 hours and I was still nowhere near being done with the game. At that point, I called it quits.

I get that all this side content is optional but I find that an inherent flaw of game design. Nothing should feel optional to the player. You should want to do all the stuff the game offers, because if not, what's the point of putting it in the game? None of the side quests felt meaningful or compelling. It was just a bunch of generic fetch and kill quests.

Which brought up another grievance: If they dedicated this much time to making trivial, generic side quests, to the point where it occupies 70% of your game time, it meant that these are all resources that could have gone to making the main campaign even better. 

Mass Effect did side content pretty well. Usually it was devoted to character development, funny, just entertaining in some way beyond "do this thing". It could have also been that the combat was pretty enjoyable from 2 and on. Combat in Inquisition was... Underwhelming.

• Like 2

Since the patch some strange things are happening in fights. I'm rolling a level 22 Qunari knight enchanter on hard difficulty, last two times I fought some random packs of shadow wolves my Qunari mage with full barriers, 220 armor and health got insta-killed by strange explosions.  :blink:

I thought this was a bug but now it happened again during the fight against the red lyrium dragon at the end. When fighting the dragon, out of a sudden, some strange sounding explosion happen which outright kill (knock out) Cassandra with full barriers, health and guard and my mage also with full barriers and health.

What is this? Some kind of random death ray? That never happened in my first play through. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

The main problem with combat in DA3 is that it is super-easy to over-level. Looped actions in any game get lousy fast when the reward is taken out of the equation. DA1 and DA2 did not have this problem because:

1) enemy units did not respawn. 

2) the leveling system was far more strict.

In DA3, it's extremely easy to get to level 20 by the beginning of Act 2. This is why I love the DLC, because the enemy units are once again higher level than I am. 

The main problem with combat in DA3 is that it is super-easy to over-level.

The main problem with DA3 combat is that is just a console version of an RPG, which translate into butto smashing as soon as you found the most powerfull attack. It´s the same as DA2. There is no real tactic, strategy, planing or anything, the most you do is positiong, it´s pathetic and it´s a perfect example for a dumbed down comabt system in favor of consoles.

Such a comabt is fine, but after Origins i can not go back, DA2 feelt horrible from a playing perspective, sure...the story was also ****, but it HAD a lot of good moments and good sub-plots. Again..DA3 has some good subplots i have seen, but the overall story? Feels out of place and forced.

I have to say i played it over at a friend for some hours, i hate the combat now more than in 2 (the pause overscreen is the most ****y thing ever), the story arc is written by a 6y old, the sub-plots are often great. (watched the rest) Really great, but it just strengthens my opinion on Bioware these days: they have lost their talented writters, except the small ones who just write the other stuff in the game. DA2, ME 2-3 and now DA:I are the perfect examples for this.

Edit: in my opinion of course :p

Edited by cirdanx

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

The main problem with combat in DA3 is that it is super-easy to over-level.

The main problem with DA3 combat is that is just a console version of an RPG, which translate into butto smashing as soon as you found the most powerfull attack.

Yeah. It's obviously a console port, plays like a console aRPG and has a consolish UI.

~ Kaine