Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

Sounds very Solas-centric.

It's apparently not. Just a new area.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Two step from hell-like music? It must really be an epic dlc! And what? A great dragon? Undoubtedly a great, unique and interesting fight just like all the other 10 dragons in DAI. Can't have an epic trailer without an enemy taunting you! That neck-slicing sure is giving me the chills. Having the same type of enemies is only for lazy designers, so let's add some glowy weapons! It will mesmerize the player so he won't realize it's the exact same enemy as before! 

Yeah I'm bitching about it even before it's released. You're the bloody Inquisitor. You have an army at your back, a great castle which has never been tested, rulers and nobles who listen to you and peasants who you can lord around. But of course, that is very dull isn't it. Luckily we can take a forking picknick with some mountain-bumpkins and kill another goddamned dragon so we can fekk up Thedas' eco-system even more.

At least scout harding is back. That's something I suppose.

Edited by Hybridsalmon
  • Like 1

So basically what you want from any future DA:I dlc is something unreasonably expensive, difficult and time-consuming? And you'd also like all of the voice actors to pop in and say "Hi"?

What I desire from future DLC is something more than just a rehash if I'm paying 15 euros for it. Of course I'm aware of the current DLC trend. But 2 wrongs don't make a right. The ME3 Citadel DLC I found fun. That DLC wasn't for everyone, but it was different and interesting. You have all these interesting things in DAI in which you can expand on, but instead of doing that you create a DLC that doesn't add much substance to the game. So yes, I think it's a shame. That is my opinion. But indirectly stating that it's unreasonable to expect something more than a rehash when you're paying 15 euros (1/4th of the price of the base game, mind you) for it is just bollocks. 

Edited by Hybridsalmon

The Citadel was a large amount of fan-wankery. Really entertaining and amusing, but still what it was. It had a lot of feel-good, a fair few laughs, and some nice Hoo-Rah! moments. And it was totally, utterly aware in itself and what it was doing. That's what made it work. 

From what it sounds like so far about Jaws of Hakkon, is that it's basically throwing you into the same old, same old. On a game that had a lot of that same old to begin with. But we'll have to wait till there's more out about it and some actual reviews of gameplay.  Nothing about it cried out for an immediate acquirement, so , eh.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Agreed, Citadel isn't that great in hindsight. It was fan-wankery like you said. And it was good for the reasons you stated already (Grunt was worth the money).

I'm pretty pessimistic about this DLC though. I enjoyed DA:I but their focus on wilderness exploration made the game less fun for me compared to DAO en DA2. Other people surely enjoy it but for me it's just a way to waste my time. Too many find/fetch quests for my blood.

I'm playing through right now and pretty much avoiding all the exploration stuff, just doing main quests and companion missions.  The game moves much smoother.  I'm actually about to start the final battle, and I've only played about 40 hours. 

Beat Hakkon.

A nice new area, new armor, weapons, enemies; but ultimately, we've seen this story in DLC before. This is very much Legacy all over again, but this time, only tangentially related to the main plot of the base game. It doesn't even feel like Dragon Age 3.5, as Witch Hunt felt like Dragon Age 1.5. 

This is not to say that it's bad. Far from it. The new Avaar camp is perhaps the best "city" Dragon Age has done since Orzammar. Just don't expect it to tie into the main story in any way. 

....  I'm having some difficulty writing this post because to be honest, after experiencing disappointment after disappointment as far as anything connected to EA was concerned for the past ten years or so, with all of the innovative development houses that were snatched up and never heard from again, etc   I truly never even fathomed that I'd one day end up eating crow and admitting that DA: Inquisition pleasantly surprised me.    If I hadn't received it for an Xmas gift, I would never have known because I pledged long ago to vote with my wallet where ever EA was concerned, and without fail (until now), I never regretted that decision because, EA: It's where Innovation Goes to Die and it's a slogan that EA well deserves.

So yeah, it's weird to be able to actually write that a recent game developed under EA pleasantly surprised me.   It's even inspired me to revisit Origins again, and thereby reacquaint myself with a deeper roleplaying experience,  but even so, it's something that I thought I'd never be interested in doing again because of DA2, EA's attempt at shoehorning an 'epic' rpg installment of a well-known franchise into one town, etc and still expect to reap in the $$$ for their omnipresent shareholders, the very bane of game development. 

So while I am pleasantly surprised, I'm not so naive to think that EA is now totally awesome.  I just hope they're finally (after all these years) getting clued into the notion that when they make something their fans want, it sells itself! No smoke 'n mirrors marketing necessary. Go frickin figure.

I am curious how much better DA:I sold over DA2, and if it was worth the more lengthy development cycle from a business perspective.  

Well, I've been reading that DA: I is Bioware's best selling title to date so I think it's safe to assume it sold well over DA2.

The thing is, EA has been the poster child for cutting development time to produce subpar games of well known franchises to fit their quarterly statement schedule for their shareholders and yet at the same time, they are more than willing to spend millions of dollars on marketing so that an under-developed game might seem much more awesome than it really is in order to get as many sales as possible.

I'm just hoping that EA is finally realizing that listening to their fanbase is actually a good thing monetarily (something one would think is common sense)  because all of those millions invested into the marketing to scam their fanbases could actually be put to better use making a solid game that would sell itself.

Edited by Shadeling
  • Like 2

I am curious how much better DA:I sold over DA2, and if it was worth the more lengthy development cycle from a business perspective.  

Well, I've been reading that DA: I is Bioware's best selling title to date so I think it's safe to assume it sold well over DA2.

The thing is, EA has been the poster child for cutting development time to produce subpar games of well known franchises to fit their quarterly statement schedule for their shareholders and yet at the same time, they are more than willing to spend millions of dollars on marketing so that an under-developed game might seem much more awesome than it really is in order to get as many sales as possible.

I'm just hoping that EA is finally realizing that listening to their fanbase is actually a good thing monetarily (something one would think is common sense)  because all of those millions invested into the marketing to scam their fanbases could actually be put to better use making a solid game that would sell itself.

Source? Outselling DA2 shouldn´t be that hard, it was not well received anyway. (rightfully in my opinion) but i would be surprised if it outsells ME3. Personaly i´m curious if it outsold DA:O. Everything i have seen so far from the game, including some let´s play´s makes me not want to buy it. I know i would hate the combat way to much to really enjoy it.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."