Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

"Grinding tedium" is precisely how I'd describe the experience of playing DA:I.

And I must say, Sera has to got be the most repulsive character, in terms of both personality and looks, that I've yet seen in a BioWare game. It almost felt as though she were created specifically to annoy me, a dubious "honour" previously held by Bastila from KotOR.

At least BioWare seemed to acknowledge that a lot of people would hate her, so they gave you the option of booting her out.

But they kept that stupid tavern song about her....which plays on repeat. lol Edited by Stun

People actually are taking personal, non-ironic offense to the game?

To be fair, Sera as a character is 10 cups of puke before you actually get to something with substance...other than the puke.

What am trying to say is that there are some good points to her but are hidden behind what happens to be a taste repellent...like puke.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sera, I can't stand her accent. Every time I think about starting a romance with her, that accent just grates on my nerves. Plus she babbles on so its hard to understand what the bloody, bloody hell she is saying.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

There are 2 characters I have not used at all Sera and Dorian... Sera just annoyed me at recruutment to the point where i thought that my dwarf will arrange a close ebcounter of her face with his axe... the secind is Dorian which is simply too much... unmanly...

Edited by Darkpriest

My biggest issue with Sera is that she embodies that sort of humour that's all over the Dragon Age games, and which I generally find extremely irritating. I'm not sure what you'd call it, but it's this sort of flippant, sarcastic, "snarky" type of jocularity that makes me want to reach through the screen and wring the offending character's neck.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the "funny" dialogue options from Hawke in DA2 is this type of humour distilled into its most concentrated form, as is Alistair's dialogue from DA:O.

Compare this to characters like Sten (or Wrex from Mass Effect 1), whose humour is very dry, and very deadpan. Or the Baldur's Gate series, where the humour is usually absurd and over-the-top. Both of which I found funny, as opposed to DA2/DA:I, where nearly every joke fell flat.

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

My biggest issue with Sera is that she embodies that sort of humour that's all over the Dragon Age games, and which I generally find extremely irritating. I'm not sure what you'd call it, but it's this sort of flippant, sarcastic, "snarky" type of jocularity that makes me want to reach through the screen and wring the offending character's neck.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the "funny" dialogue options from Hawke in DA2 is this type of humour distilled into its most concentrated form, as is Alistair's dialogue from DA:O.

Compare this to characters like Sten (or Wrex from Mass Effect 1), whose humour is very dry, and very deadpan. Or the Baldur's Gate series, where the humour is usually absurd and over-the-top. Both of which I found funny, as opposed to DA2/DA:I, where nearly every joke fell flat.

Is it not possible that Sera's jokes are actually very intellectual and humourous but.....you just not getting them ?  

:p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think it's far more likely that Sera is simply this game's "chaotic dwarf." The character that 90% of the players are too much of completionists to engage with good sense and kick from the team. With the remaining 10% being the people who can overcome that nature or the people playing another "chaotic dwarf" happy for someone to chat with.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You know, that does make a certain amount of sense when you put it that way. 

I agree-- when Bio tries to write a comedian, it usually falls flat.  (Joker being the leading example that you didn't mention.)  But they are, IMO, pretty good at writing characters who deadpan for humor, either deliberately (Sten; Wrex; Jolee) or inadvertently (because their outlook is foreign enough to the player that their "normal" statements come across as funny-- see HK-47; Shale; Mordin; maybe Jan Jansen). 

Edited by Enoch

Is it not possible that Sera's jokes are actually very intellectual and humourous but.....you just not getting them ?  

tongue.png

That may be true in some cases, despite appearances Sera is fairly well grounded and smarter than she seems. Quite a few of the jokes Sera is a part of are either immature, oh look how mad she is or Kathrine Tate style chav humour though. Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad, I love her banter with Varric for example and she does have great lines throughout the game. She's actually pretty endearing once you get her world view and see her open up a bit. But her archetype/stereotype was very much a characteristic that a lot of people were going to dislike. I like the character but I hate the chav thing, I tolerate it because like Jack once you dig past it there's more to the character. It's also worth pointing out though that Sera doesn't want people to get to know her, I think she feigns and exaggerates being bat**** crazy and annoying to a certain extent and pushes people away when prodded like a defence mechanism. It makes sense why she might act the way she does, given her past and what she's made her life's mission to be.

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

tongue.png

That may be true in some cases, despite appearances Sera is fairly well grounded and smarter than she seems. Quite a few of the jokes Sera is a part of are either immature, oh look how mad she is or Kathrine Tate style chav humour though. Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad, I love her banter with Varric for example and she does have great lines throughout the game. She's actually pretty endearing once you get her world view and see her open up a bit. But her archetype/stereotype was very much a characteristic that a lot of people were going to dislike. I like the character but I hate the chav thing, I tolerate it because like Jack once you dig past it there's more to the character. It's also worth pointing out though that Sera doesn't want people to get to know her, I think she feigns and exaggerates being bat**** crazy and annoying to a certain extent and pushes people away when prodded like a defence mechanism. It makes sense why she might act the way she does, given her past and what she's made her life's mission to be.

I like this post because it gives a more positive perspective around Sera   :thumbsup:  ..and its good to read this because there is clearly a lot of negativity about her character  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

She's a bit like Fenris I think, her Skyhold conversations do give you insight into her personality and past but without taking her on certain quests or hearing certain banters she's a bit lacking. Like when you find out that Fenris was once taken in by Qunari and knows about the culture and customs for example, that was an awesome story, well acted and made him a lot more interesting and sympathetic and contributed to the main plot. If I had left him in the mansion the whole time I would have probably agreed with most people that he was just a shallow anime token character, which he isn't. I think it's a new approach Bioware are deliberately taking/testing with characters but I'm not sure if like it because I don't know if I have the energy to comb through the whole game again just to see which quests shine light on certain characters, and if you miss the wrong quests then tough luck.

Edited by Serrano

She's a bit like Fenris I think, her Skyhold conversations do give you insight into her personality and past but without taking her on certain quests or hearing certain banters she's a bit lacking. Like when you find out that Fenris was once taken in by Qunari and knows about the culture and customs for example, that was an awesome story, well acted and made him a lot more interesting and sympathetic and contributed to the main plot. If I had left him in the mansion the whole time I would have probably agreed with most people that he was just a shallow anime token character, which he isn't. I think it's a new approach Bioware are deliberately taking/testing with characters but I'm not sure if like it because I don't know if I have the energy to comb through the whole game again just to see which quests shine light on certain characters, and if you miss the wrong quests then tough luck.

he still is anime emo elf...

"How dare people like things I dislike."

Fenris was an interesting idea. He was the best fighter. As a character, though, he didn't really have much to do. But I will forever hold in my heart the fangirls that got mad at me that I "made him gay" in my game.

Edited by Bryy

I remember when screenshots of the character were first released, and seeing Fenris' resemblance to your stereotypical JRPG protagonist, I made a joke about how he was probably "some angst-ridden pretty-boy with a comically oversized two-handed sword just waiting for the right woman to soothe his anguished soul."

Well, guess what? That's the character we got. I mean, how bad is your writing when a character's entire personality is predictable by sarcasm?

• Like 3

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

I remember when screenshots of the character were first released, and seeing Fenris' resemblance to your stereotypical JRPG protagonist, I made a joke about how he was probably "some angst-ridden pretty-boy with a comically oversized two-handed sword just waiting for the right woman to soothe his anguished soul."

Well, guess what? That's the character we got. I mean, how bad is your writing when a character's entire personality is predictable by sarcasm?

You didn't guess that he would have glowing tattoos.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

You didn't guess that he would have glowing tattoos.

True, and I did say "the right woman to soothe his anguished soul" when Fenris can be pursued by a Hawke of either gender.

See, not the same but still enough of a similarity to call you Sarcastamus.

Tells us your predictions, plz.

village_idiot.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Itbis still a boring game. I just cant progress the side maps and might just gi to the final missikn and skip 3 large areas and 5 dragon fights....

I only managed to play through the game once, while I played through origins and 2nd many times. I created many characters, but the most I played through was resolving Mage/Templar conflict. After that I just can't play. There are branching paths, but you do not actually see the resolutions yourself and you can pretty much guess the outcomes. I'll probably revisit the game only when some major DLC comes out.

So I've gotten into my second playthrough after stalling out the first time.  It is still a very impressive and engaging game, this time I need to just stick to the storyline more so I don't get burnt out searching for mosaic pieces and plants.   :thumbsup:

• Like 4