Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

EA's quarterly report has DAI being the most successful launch of a Bioware game ever. So congrats Bioware, I guess.

I'd just been wondering about this. There was a time I'd have been happy about this, but now I'm just kind of blah. It's not like there's any sort of report or the like that would have caused them to go back to making games more along the lines of the first DA.

WHY DOES VIVIENNE KEEP APPROVING OF ME KILLING NUGS?

Because she sees them as vermin, I'd guess. I didn't notice it but then I disliked Vivienne so didn't use her much. But it makes sense that a pseudo-aristocrat would approve the elimination of dirty vermin.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I am in my 26th hour of playing Dragon Age Inquisition on PS4 and thus far I am incredibly bored. So many things are off wth this game for me. I wonder if it will change at some point but thus far I am really really disappointed.

For me DA2 had some of the best companion interactions of the series - something I feel a bit lacking in Inquisition. I guess I just miss Aveline and her Kirk Douglas jaw.

Annex%20-%20Douglas,%20Kirk%20(Spartacus

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I keep visiting the DA: I Nexus in the hope that someone finally made something worthwhile. So far the only thing that seems to be worth downloading amongst the sheer amount of "PJ retexture" mods is a cheatengine app that helps eliminate the RNG of getting armour blueprints.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

For me DA2 had some of the best companion interactions of the series - something I feel a bit lacking in Inquisition. I guess I just miss Aveline and her Kirk Douglas jaw.

"Just" Aveline? I swear, someone at BioWare had a fetish for women with huge, masculine jawbones. Just look at Isabela's...LOOK AT IT:

Wallpaper_Dragon_Age_2_Hawke_and_Isabela

On a closer examination, this picture just embodies everything wrong with Hawke (and DA2 in general). For instance, why is his armour so asymmetrical? Why is he wearing a HUGE pauldron his right shoulder but not his left? Why is his left arm unarmoured? Why does the pauldron have these huge, deep creases in them? Didn't the armourer realise that this would channel every spear or sword thrust directly towards the crease, which is would be a weak spot in the metal? Why does his belt buckle have these huge, upward-pointing spikes on it? Wouldn't these stab him in the stomach every time he tries to lean forward? Why is there sharp piece of metal extending from near his right elbow? Why does his right glove have randomly-placed spikes coming out of it? Why the hell doesn't he wipe the goddamned blood smear off his nose?

And don't even get me started on that awful, washed-out colour palette...

Edited by 500MetricTonnes

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

"Just" Aveline? I swear, someone at BioWare had a fetish for women with huge, masculine jawbones. Just look at Isabela's...LOOK AT IT:

I'm pretty sure Bioware didn't create that image. I think it was BLUR who did the cinematic trailer.

They tend to take liberties with character designs. Just look at DAO's cinematic trailer.

Edit: Also asymmetrical armor seems to be pretty popular. Just look at ol' Douglas right above your post. Same reasoning I'd imagine. Though I don't know if it's historically accurate or just something that got popular for style.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I can't bring myself to finish it, it's just....boring? Taking a break from it and playing dying light instead, I'll try jumping back into after I'm done taking a break from it. Btw dying light for what it is is actually a pretty damn good game.

It doesn't get more exciting TBH. Outside of critpath and companion stuff, all content is MMO stuff.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I decided to buy as it was at 30% discount.

Combat is awful on mouse and keyboard (targeting and camera control) on the tactical vie pathing is super bad and camera is still wonky.

Gathering crafting materials is bad... feels too MMOish. Why not just let the player mark the nodes of resources instead? Its an SP game I have no idea why you need to gather 50+ of whatever.

Some missions are too long 17h wait for some battleaxe?

I like the idea of war table.but the execution should be better with these powerpoints and possibly some side maps gating but its playable.

Game feels generally a well made console product that tosses needless hurdles at a PC gamer but I cant say I am not having some fun... Just the resources collection system seems generally bad.

I cant say I am not having some fun

Good thats all that matters, are you having fun? If you are then everything else is superfluous. 

Welcome to the world of " only judging games on whether they are fun "   :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I cant say I am not having some fun

Good thats all that matters, are you having fun? If you are then everything else is superfluous.

Welcome to the world of " only judging games on whether they are fun " :dancing:

Technically yes, the problem is that the thing i like are minor while the ones that I dislike or are boring are quite frequent. Combat being the prime example of this.

Ive clocked 40h doing 4 full side maps and getting the stronghold. I feel like the lenght of the game is just a matter of a lot of runninng and hunting for all specials on the maps. If I would follow mostly the plot missions the game would be surprisingly short. Its too much of a Skyrim and not enough of the Baldurs Gate. Still it is a step in good direction and I liked some solutions thah I hope they will carry over. Just purge the MMOish part and improve PC version combat mechanics.

Its funny that they chose to gate main plot prgression behind the power points which are super easy to acquire, while at the same time I have yet to use gold in this game... And they had this nice elegant solution in the BG that would help to solve both issues use the bigbheaps of gold for advancement while use the reduced power points system for agents mission and keep influence level for special perks system.

Edited by Darkpriest

"Grinding tedium" is precisely how I'd describe the experience of playing DA:I.

And I must say, Sera has to got be the most repulsive character, in terms of both personality and looks, that I've yet seen in a BioWare game. It almost felt as though she were created specifically to annoy me, a dubious "honour" previously held by Bastila from KotOR.

At least BioWare seemed to acknowledge that a lot of people would hate her, so they gave you the option of booting her out.

Edited by 500MetricTonnes

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

Just fought a battle with High Dragon... what a bore... it took 25min of afk to complete it. If not for its occassional pull with dmg I would literally just tab out of the game for 25min after i ordered attacks in the tactical view... i have not endured a more boring boss battle in my gaming history...

When will deaigners.learn that slapping gazzilion hit points and dmg buff will not make a good boss...

Edited by Darkpriest

Just fought a battle with High Dragon... what a bore... it took 25min of afk to complete it. If not for its occassional pull with dmg I would literally just tab out of the game for 25min after i ordered attacks in the tactical view... i have not endured a more boring boss battle in my gaming history...

When will deaigners.learn that slapping gazzilion hit points and dmg buff will not make a good boss...

That's exactly how the High Dragon fight went in DA2. To make matters worse, every so often it would fly away to an unreachable perch and spit fireballs at you, while summoning smaller dragons to harass you.

Laidlaw clearly doesn't understand the difference between creating an encounter that challenges the player's skills versus one that merely challenges his patience. Hell, when people called DA2's combat "dumbed down" he flippantly dismissed this criticism by suggesting people play on "hard," which does nothing but drag the experience out further.

If anything, DA:I proves that BioWare didn't understand the criticism of DA2 except on the shallowest level.

• Like 5

That's exactly how the High Dragon fight went in DA2. To make matters worse, every so often it would fly away to an unreachable perch and spit fireballs at you, while summoning smaller dragons to harass you.

Laidlaw clearly doesn't understand the difference between creating an encounter that challenges the player's skills versus one that merely challenges his patience. Hell, when people called DA2's combat "dumbed down" he flippantly dismissed this criticism by suggesting people play on "hard," which does nothing but drag the experience out further.

If anything, DA:I proves that BioWare didn't understand the criticism of DA2 except on the shallowest level.

They understand, but they choose to ignore

For me dragons in DA:O is far more enjoyable and less frustrating, the high dragon at Andraste Temple at least flew around and have better AI. Even Flemeth is fine she just cannot fly because of the map is too small. Although Archdemon is easy, it is because we are already at high level and we got back ups.

In DA2 the high dragon following Archdemon tactic, fighting for sometime, then flew to unreachable spot and call minions. The difference is it doesn't feel grant like the Archdemon. And in DA2 not only the dragon do that, most bosses and Meredith also do that. It just copy and paste

It is simple, they just lazy

It is actually funny because the dragon in the Hinterlands does exactly that. Summons smaller drakes and goes ona perch spitting fireballs (the only thing that stopped me from killing it at lvl 6-7)

Tha high dragon in the western approach just ... slowly dies... to make it worse you first have to do a bunch of Fedex quests and a war room mission...

the 3d environment gives so much potential for boss battles (for example set up traps and some siege equipment and try to lure it and shoot down, then try to immobilize and fatally wound it and then deciede its fate while it is on the verge of dying. Kill for materials and loot or spare and get either a mission that removes str from some other dragon or have an own dragon as a war asset for a final battle)

I understood limitations of 2d environments but in 3d this just is a poor design... taken directly from worst MMOs...