Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

I'm totally surprised that people still complain about this game. It could be better ofc, but this eternal hate is ridiculous :p

Plus, I don't really understand people who compare ME1 to DAI. While ME1 story destroys all DA franchise history's, its gameplay-wise pathetic: reused places, worst user interface in history, bland items (no special things/attacks/uses), only 3 REAL classes, limited skills, repetitive combat, boring exploration and the most useless mini game ever. Even in the choices / role-play it is far more limited. i could never play it a second time.

• Like 1

I could complain more about The Walking Dead Season 2 if you like.

Now, speaking of trainwrecks...

Episode 5 was good, I will fight you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

there is a compelling pretension that whatsoever is your favorite crpg, the developers o' that game did more than craft a wish-fulfillment fantasy. is an understandable fiction as few folks wanna admit that their favorite game is just as devoid o' genuine gravitas as is (insert latest mass-market title here). 

fallout was different. 

ps:t was art.

the stick of truth... ok, we can't actual even complete that thought without it turning into a joke.

*shrug*

in any event, while chrisA and others recognize that their games is, first and foremost, escapist wish-fulfillment fantasies, we is nevertheless surprised that the developers fail to recognize how the current narrative model is necessarily self-defeating. "power fantasies" lose meaning if there ain't no choice. so, developers attempt to find a kinda ideal balance 'tween choice and traditional narrative. unfortunately, there is no perfect balance. one o' these days, somebody is gonna recognize that to genuine do better, the old balancing efforts will need be scrapped in favor o' a new model.

'course if bioware and other developers continue to make successful selling games using the fundamentally limited approach, the motivation to build a better mousetrap is approaching nil.

regardless, bioware romances is no-less wish-fulfillment fantasy as is crpgs as a whole. our criticisms o' bioware romances (and those criticisms is legion) is not that such quests is more nontransparent ego-strokes as such a claim would be hypocritical and useless.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1420690902661.gif

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What I don't understand about this game is the name "Inquisition."

The word conjures an image of an organisation dedicated to rooting out heretics, putting them on trial, torturing them until they confess, and so on. It's the sort of the thing that should cause your average peasant in Thedas to wet his trousers when he so much as hears the word spoken. And yet it's presented as this completely heroic, well-respected group - essentially the Grey Wardens for demons. It just seems like a poor word to describe what the group actually does.

• Like 2

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

The word conjures an image of an organisation dedicated to rooting out heretics, putting them on trial, torturing them until they confess, and so on. It's the sort of the thing that should cause your average peasant in Thedas to wet his trousers when he so much as hears the word spoken. And yet it's presented as this completely heroic, well-respected group - essentially the Grey Wardens for demons. It just seems like a poor word to describe what the group actually does.

Cassandra isn't too creative.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

our pov has always been different.

we will note that barbara jordan is a role-model for Gromnir. that is not to say that we has always wished to be a woman o' color who preferred the company o' our own gender, but perhaps due to her influence, we find nothing negative 'bout being an inquisitor.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Your applying real world historical information to a term that without that historical information would be a neutral word (the act of inquiring; examination or a judicial or official inquiry or examination usually before a jury; also the finding of the jury).

Even with that the lore gives them a somewhat questionable past, probably so that they can try to mitigate the player's expectation of the word when considered with real world eyes. (No one would probably care though if the Divine had been around to explain why she gave Cassandra the mandate to restart the Inquisition).

That said, I imagine at the end of the day the average peasant in Thedas wouldn't care if the group was called "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" if they were saving them from a ****ing big-ass demon about to rip their heads off and **** down their necks.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Isn't it sort of in line with Biowares trend of Charname either belonging to or working for some "Chose One" group? Whether they be Jedi, Children of Bhaal, N7, Grey Wardens or whatever? Usually some kind of elite or extrajudicial group.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Spirit Monks (Jade Empire)

Can't really think of what the group would be in NWN or DAII (I guess technically you're a part of Bartrands Expedition and then part of the Nobility but doesn't seem to fit...)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Most BioWare games post BG2 follow the exact same plot:

- "The evil menace (Wailing Death, Sith, Reapers, Darkspawn, Fade Demons) is coming to kill us all!"

- Begin the opening tutorial section, typically involving a few temporary party members. (Endar Spire, Eden Prime, DA:O's origin stories, Neverwinter's academy, etc.) These temporary party members usually end up biting it

- The first major area is visited, and the player meets his first real party member (Carth on Taris, Alistair at Ostagar, Kaidan on Eden Prime). This character is often the Nice Guy With A Troubled Past (see below)

- The evil menace deals a major blow (Eden Prime is attacked by Saren, Taris is wiped out by the Sith, the Grey Wardens are wiped out at Ostagar)

- The main character then joins an elite group (Jedi, Spectres, Inquisition, Grey Wardens, etc.) dedicated to combating the evil menace

- Now the sandbox is opened, and the player must go to four locations in order to collect the plot coupons needed to continue (info on Saren, Star Maps, Grey Warden treaties)

- Prior to the final battle, the SHOCKING TRUTH is revealed:

(the player is the amnesiac Darth Revan, a Grey Warden must sacrifice himself to slay the archdemon, Sovereign is actually a Reaper, and so on)

- The final confrontation with the villain, often involving a BIG CHOICE of some sort.

And, of course, you will always meet the same people:

- The Nice Guy With A Troubled Past (Carth, Anders, Alistair, Jacob, Kaidan). This character will be widely hated by a large portion of the fanbase, who will consider him "whiny"

- The Damaged Bad Boy (Zevran, Thane, Fenris)

- The Sweet, Innocent Girl or Perky, Upbeat Girl (Tali, Aerie, Merrill, Sigrun, Mission, Leliana, Liara)

- The Tough, No-Nonsense Warrior Woman (Jaheira, Ashley, Aveline, Cassandra, Samara)

- The Haughty Ice Queen (Viconia, Morrigan, Miranda, Vivienne, Velanna)

- The Grizzled Veteran (Zaeed, Canderous, Wrex, Sten, Keldorn)

- The Bloodthirsty Psychopath (Korgan, HK-47, Shale, Jack)

Edited by 500MetricTonnes
  • Like 4

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

Oh, stop complaining about the monomyth; we have only had one story since the beginning of mankind.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oh, stop complaining about the monomyth; we have only had one story since the beginning of mankind.

Did it have romanceable companions?

• Like 5

I'm really stalling on this game, I probably have 30-40% more to go.

Where are you currently at? Main quest is actually fairly short, I'd dump the side content so the final boss isn't pitifully easy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Where are you currently at? Main quest is actually fairly short, I'd dump the side content so the final boss isn't pitifully easy.

Too late for that I finished 90% of the side content, as for where I'm at, I just finished the warden (into the abyss) quest and have 2 more main quest to finish (the one with Morrigan and probably the last one). I don't even know if I will be able to make my self kill all 10 dragons.

Let Hawk stay in the fade, as I read online that Flemeth made a prophecy about that moment.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Too late for that I finished 90% of the side content, as for where I'm at, I just finished the warden (into the abyss) quest and have 2 more main quest to finish (the one with Morrigan and probably the last one). I don't even know if I will be able to make my self kill all 10 dragons.

I'd just slam into the main quest. Dragon fights aren't particularity noteworthy and the boss is ridiculously easy.

• Like 1

I'd just slam into the main quest. Dragon fights aren't particularity noteworthy and the boss is ridiculously easy.

Probably gonna do that, as I'm interested in the Morrigan/Flemeth/Oldgodbaby quest and It would bother me too much not to finish the game when I'm that close to the end.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

"The evil menace (Wailing Death, Sith, Reapers, Darkspawn, Fade Demons) is coming to kill us all!"

- Begin the opening tutorial section, typically involving a few temporary party members. (Endar Spire, Eden Prime, DA:O's origin stories, Neverwinter's academy, etc.) These temporary party members usually end up biting it

- The first major area is visited, and the player meets his first real party member (Carth on Taris, Alistair at Ostagar, Kaidan on Eden Prime). This character is often the Nice Guy With A Troubled Past (see below)

- The evil menace deals a major blow (Eden Prime is attacked by Saren, Taris is wiped out by the Sith, the Grey Wardens are wiped out at Ostagar)

- The main character then joins an elite group (Jedi, Spectres, Inquisition, Grey Wardens, etc.) dedicated to combating the evil menace

- Now the sandbox is opened, and the player must go to four locations in order to collect the plot coupons needed to continue (info on Saren, Star Maps, Grey Warden treaties)

- Prior to the final battle, the SHOCKING TRUTH is revealed:

1. We sort of knew about Coryphish already

2. No temporary members this time

3. First three members are Cass, Varric and Solas. None of them are "nice"

4. Yeah Haven

5. You were already part of it, they just promote you

6. Not this time

7. A few truths about the lore and stuff, but nothing about you personally. Coryphish dies and the game goes on. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I love how people are acting like BioWare's problem is that they are reusing the Hero's Journey, and not the fact that the execution stinks.

Agreed.  Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I wouldn't care if BioWare stuck to that formula all the time (which they usually do), so long as their execution works.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I love how people are acting like BioWare's problem is that they are reusing the Hero's Journey, and not the fact that the execution stinks.

Agreed.  Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I wouldn't care if BioWare stuck to that formula all the time (which they usually do), so long as their execution works.

Hell, that's fantasy in general.

I just finished DAI. To be honest I'm so glad its over, at the end it became a very very boring grind. What annoyed me the most was the never ending combat, at some points I wished for a machine gun for my character so he could mow down all the enemies with the press of trigger while screaming like Rambo. The game started really well but wore me down oh so quickly. If I wanted to play a mass murderer I'd simply play Serious Sam, it has a similar total body count but its much more fun. 

I wish developers would focus more on quality instead quantity, I miss RPG's with rare (compared to todays standard) but intense encounters including the possibility to avoid bloodshed altogether through clever tactics. 

Really liked the relatively grounded and interesting characters, loved the graphics and level build, liked the Wicked Eyes Wicked Hearts mission (best part of the game), loathed pretty much everything else. 

Oh well, lets hope for PE. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.